Still Swearing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Still Swearing

Post by Mick F »

I'm seeing 'pseudo swearing' more and more.

I edit them out as I see them. I alter words that start with specific letters, and have *@$%^ in them or suchlike, and then I put in a word that is acceptable without altering the meaning of the post. If I can do it, why can't the poster?

Please keep it nice.

I've edited one or two only today.

I know folk get "upset" and need a rant - I'm no different! This stuff on here is read by everybody. We don't want bad language, or disguised bad language either.

Thanks.
Rant over!
Mick F. Cornwall
mw3230

Re: Still Swearing

Post by mw3230 »

:?

Here's a word for you - PRUDE.

Some of the words you blue pen are those that add charm, colour and piquancy to our language.

Of course I agree that words beginning with 'c' or 'f' have no place here, but would suggest that the odd 'b' 'd' or 's' may do no harm and should not be banned per se.

Yes, I know this has been debated at length but perhaps my blood boils at different times to other people. Come on, allow us to be adults and to behave like them. Some of us are capable of exercising judgement you know!

I am not arguing in favour of unfettered use of 'bad' language more a tolerance.

ps - I used to work with someone who had foresworn swearing. When very angry, he could be heard to mutter 'snotgobbling ratbag'
Retired and loving it
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I don't think mw is being fair to Mick and from his postings (Mick's) I don't think one could ever consider him a prude.

mw says we are all capable of exercising judgement, but it has already been exercised in the ruling that swearing (even thinly disguised) has been disallowed.

I hope mw doesn't think I am a prude either; as a matter of fact my working life was probably littered with more expletives than most. However, I agree with Mick, that I don't think this forum is the place for it and I am being tolerant by not tolerating it.

F.C. (and if you want to take my initials as an abbreviation of swear words, you're more than welcome). :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thank you, FC.

I would like to think that mw3230 is in the minority, much as I respect his opinions and his right to make them.
Prude? Me? No! I just want the forum clean. Deliberately swear, or even poorly disguise swearing it if you want to, but not on here on my watch.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I speak as somebody without religious belief.

In its original form 'swearing' was a form of blaphemy - swearing false oaths. I understand that one of today's most widely used swear words is derived from 'By our Lady' - a form of words which might be offensive to somebody with a strong religious belief. It's my impression - not backed up by any sort of survey - that a lot of blasphemy passes unchecked on here. (I hesitate to qualify it as minor or petty because I fancy it's not minor to many people who just keep quiet rather than speak out.)

Most other so-called swear words are actually words which were once current terms for bodily parts or functions and were replaced by euphemisms, sometimes replaced in their turn by others. These are the words which tend to be described in dictionaries as 'Not in polite use' etc. Different people have different thresholds. I think it's reasonable to expect that people should not intentionally distress others. Something that goes unnoticed in a sports changing room might be inappropriate in Bettys Tea Rooms. Compared with some forums I think this one is pretty civilised.

This forum has a clear rule about this and fair enough. Ultimately, it's either comply with the rules or go away. OTOH and not for the first time, I say that anybody trying to justify this in any other way risks looking silly or worse. And it seems to me that staying within the literal letter of the rules by nudge nudge, wink wink and all the rest of risks being humbug.
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

Points taken and taken on board! In future the hill is terribly terribly irksome and the headwind awfully unkind, to say nothing of the tiresome punctures! By the way, Betty's Tearoom - you are most likely to hear swearing in there. Have you seen the prices?
Retired and loving it
paulah

Post by paulah »

mw3230 wrote:Come on, allow us to be adults and to behave like them. Some of us are capable of exercising judgement you know!

but some aren't which is why the people who give up their time to running the forum have rules.

As pointed out before when the subject has come up, this isn't intended to be an adult only forum, but a family forum. And just as different language and behaviour is acceptable, and used, in say a pub from the home, so different language and language and behaviour is suited to different forums. And there are cycle forums availalable for that, to which I will tootle off to if I feel the need.

And, I take issue with your comment on Bettys :) The food is not expensive considering the quality, quantities and excellent staff.
There shall be only one pannier
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Oh {FFE - family-friendly edit } :oops:
Sorry :wink:
"42"
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

Betty's is expensive - a matter of opinion
Value for money - a matter of opinion
Provider of quality tea and cakes - undoubtedly
Patronised by me - undoubtedly not :wink:
Retired and loving it
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Oh "Margaret Thatcher"...........!!!!!!!!!!!

There Mick - what do you think of that? Can you find anything with a similar meaning to that!!!!!!!!!
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I totalling agree with the policy - it just makes this place much nicer than some other forums... where it's almost compulsory!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Spinners wrote:I totalling agree with the policy - it just makes this place much nicer than some other forums... where it's almost compulsory!

You're absolutely right spinners, and I agree with you completely. It's just that the abovementioned name is offensive to me.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

JohnW wrote: It's just that the abovementioned name is offensive to me.

Me too, John! We do have to draw the line somewhere though.

I spent 27 years in the RN, as most people will know, and I swore with the best of them. It was part of lower-deck life.

What it taught me, was to use swearing and foul language only in the right environment. Bad language could be switched on and off as required. I learnt to use it properly, I learned to use it liberally, or even sparingly, or actually not at all.

What seems to be happening these days, is that swearing is becoming an everyday language by some folk, they aren't getting the 'education' that I and my compatriots received. People aren't learning when and where to swear to good effect, or when and where it isn't acceptable.

Since leaving the RN, I hardly ever utter a swear-word at all now. I think them lots, but I would never record my swearing for posterity on a forum, or anywhere that my thoughts and words are written down.

I take a pride in my Spambusting. I volunteered for the task to help clear this forum of Spam, also inane postings, rubbish and offensive language. I alert the Mods to anything contentious or argumentative, and I alert the Mods to any complaints and concerns I might find. We all can't be on here all the time, but with team-work, it all gets done.

Thanks for backing me up, folks.

If you have any concerns about anything that you see on these pages, use the Alert facility ...... or PM me.
I mean it, just shout and I'll be there.
Mick F. Cornwall
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Mick, I completely agree with your stance on swearing, it has no place on this forum.
While I'm here, I'd like to express my appreciation for the time and effort you and the other moderators put into to the forum.
Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow
sharpy

Post by sharpy »

Kevin K wrote:Mick, I completely agree with your stance on swearing, it has no place on this forum.
While I'm here, I'd like to express my appreciation for the time and effort you and the other moderators put into to the forum.
Kevin

My sentiments exactly :)
Best Wishes
Paul