Toy Train Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

Re: Toy Train Thread

Post by Si »

glueman wrote:
Interesting pug bash here.

Yep, I've been following that one over on Matt Chivers' NG forum ( http://ngrm-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=1594.0 but you might have to register to see it) - there is a whole thread devoted to pug bashes, several pages of them. Some very clever ones like the one that you linked to. Somewhere or other I even noticed one where the builder had used two to make a double fairlie type engine.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Can this be moved to the "Non-Technical Too Good To Lose" board? :)

I'm assuming that "Technical" in a CTC board sense means bicycle-specific.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

A free offer!

The below is offered free to the first one to post a "Yes please" on the thread, I've had this kit in the loft for years and I'm tryingto sort stuff out up there I started it but just don't have the time or need to finish it as you can see it's just gathering dust, there is a box of bits that go with it ... side rods, valvegear etc it'll take a bit of fettlin' to finish it, I dont even mind paying the postage as it will go to a good "shed"
NG1.JPG

NG2.JPG

Malc

edit sorry I should have said it's 009 scale
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Si

Post by Si »

Yes Please!

(as long as you don't mind if it gets converted to O9?)

Happy to pay postage - have PMed you!
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

ferrit worrier wrote:A free offer!

The below is offered free to the first one to post a "Yes please" on the thread, I've had this kit in the loft for years and I'm tryingto sort stuff out up there I started it but just don't have the time or need to finish it as you can see it's just gathering dust, there is a box of bits that go with it ... side rods, valvegear etc it'll take a bit of fettlin' to finish it, I dont even mind paying the postage as it will go to a good "shed"
NG1.JPG

Malc

edit sorry I should have said it's 009 scale

OOH! Yes Please!

I want to get back into OO, have loads of spare N track, so OO narrow gauge is perfick :)
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Si wrote:Yes Please!

DANG! Too late
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Guy951 wrote:
Si wrote:Yes Please!

DANG! Too late

Sorry Guy

Si just pipped you to the stop block :(

If I find anything else I'll let you know.

Malc
hartleymartin

Post by hartleymartin »

I can't be bothered find out how to embed YouTube video clips, so here are a few of my old layout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqHF9wKQ-ig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJPpwjSuN_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMdINtJe9XM&NR=1

Stringybark Creek, somewhere on the North Coast of the NSW Government Railways. Somewhere (we think) between Taree and Coffs Harbour.

There was a team of about 12 of us all together who built this layout. If I remember correctly it was 52' x 16' all up - a giant single-main line tail-chaser. After experiencing the operating headaches of single-line, the new layout on the drawing board will be double-track mainline running two independent loops.
Martin Hartley from Sydney, Australia
Self-confessed Raleigh Twenty tragic.
http://raleightwenty.webs.com
Si

Post by Si »

hartleymartin wrote:I can't be bothered find out how to embed YouTube video clips, so here are a few of my old layout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqHF9wKQ-ig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJPpwjSuN_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMdINtJe9XM&NR=1

Stringybark Creek, somewhere on the North Coast of the NSW Government Railways. Somewhere (we think) between Taree and Coffs Harbour.

There was a team of about 12 of us all together who built this layout. If I remember correctly it was 52' x 16' all up - a giant single-main line tail-chaser. After experiencing the operating headaches of single-line, the new layout on the drawing board will be double-track mainline running two independent loops.

That's very nice, some lovely slow speed running - I'm pining for an O scale standard gauge again....just need a lottery win and a bigger house first!
hartleymartin

Post by hartleymartin »

It was the prototypical slow-speed running and full-height backdrops with pelmet lighting which won us several awards. We only exhibited the layout about 5 times.
Martin Hartley from Sydney, Australia
Self-confessed Raleigh Twenty tragic.
http://raleightwenty.webs.com
robbo

Post by robbo »

A Sharp Stewart 2-4-0 in 0 gauge, 8mm twin cylinders, slide valves, meths fired, nearly complete now.

Si

Post by Si »

Sharp Stewart 2-4-0 in 0 gauge

Sweet! :D Is it a kit or scratch?
robbo

Post by robbo »

Scratch. 1" dia. copper tube boiler, wheel castings from Walsall Model Industries, machined to fine standards by me, everything else sheet rod or pipe as appropriate.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Very nice! you realise that you'll have to keep us up to date with progress now :D

Malc
Si

Post by Si »

While recouperating from my hospital fun and games I started fettling rolling stock again as I can't do much else.....back to the O-16.5 (7mm:ft narrow gauge)

This one is inspired by the North Devon Clay Co. workmen's van conversions (as shown in Messenger, M, 2006 Industrial Railways of the South West). I just liked the quirkiness - sort of thing that abounds on old run down narrow gauge lines. As you can see, they simply took an open wagon and plonked a wooden upper section on it to create a closed van - the planks that sit on top of the sides of the open wagon act as a bench for the workmen.

As I say, it's 'inspired by' rather than any attempt at an exact copy. The real point of it was that I've never tried scratch building a chassis before. For the open wagon body I used an old Hornby OO open wagon, thinking that it would make things easy because I would be starting with a structure that I knew was perfectly square, alas it wasn't as helpful as I hoped. I still manged to get the W-irons/axle boxes mounted on it slightly skew-whiff, but it does run OK and unless you know that it's crook you don't immediately realise, thus as a test of whether or not I could build a chassis I think that it's a success. I say that the wagon body wasn't helpful because after the initial lash together I realised that the sides were too high to form a comfortable seat - dangling leg time! So had I had to hack a cm off the top of the open wagon without damaging all of my chassis work - got away with it just about.

In future I think that I shall make the W-iron out of a single piece of plastic card, rather than trying to add the outsides of the W to it as separate bits of plastic strip. Also, although it runs OK now, I think that future efforts will benefit from pin-point bearings rather than just using holes in the soft plasticard.

The 'box' section is made from wood - my favoured medium for wagons - with plasticard strapping. The roof is currently card, however, rather than going for the normal canvas look I've decided to cover it with fine sand paper in an attempt to replicate felting - after all, it is just a garden shed nailed to an open wagon.

Anyway, here's the picture. Not sure if I will finish it - although, as a test piece it has turned out better than I hoped so I might detail it and paint it up, and see how it runs 'in anger'.