Toy Train Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: Toy Train Thread

Post by kwackers »

Coke nuts? :shock:
Si

Post by Si »

kwackers wrote:Coke nuts? :shock:

Indeed - there was something written in the middle but I hacksawed that bit out and the cat ran off with it, so I've no idea what it was!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:

Indeed - there was something written in the middle but I hacksawed that bit out and the cat ran off with it, so I've no idea what it was!

Love it! :)

Excuse me for asking Si but do we get to know all the gory detail about you're hospitalisation?

PS I trust you're on the mend?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

Without going into the really gory detail (it being a family forum)....kidley stone - apparently one of the biggest that the consultant had done - says that he was in there for ages! Lots of bleeding afterwards - tubes coming out of me in all directions and a foot long stent left inside. My misery was doubled when there was a mix up/misunderstanding with the medication, leaving me in more pain for some time.

The stent came out last Friday, amid much screaming and cussing. Had various aches and pains, especially the lower back when trying to walk anywhere. But, touch wood, it all seems to be getting better now, thanks.....and am looking forward to being up to getting out on my bike (I think that it's almost a year since I've done what I would term "a proper ride", although it'll probably take some time to get that sort of fitness back).

But, on the positive side, it's let me catch up with the toy train building, plus I don't seem to have put on too much weight despite the lack of exercise :D
glueman

Post by glueman »

Sorry to hear about your health, Si, but well done on the wagon. My own return to modelling (scale, not photographic) coincided with a thoroughly bust leg. Other projects have meant very little has been done this year but with the shortening days ones mind turns to these things. Bought a Craven DMU last week as I remember riding in them. To paraphrase the Avro Shackleton joke, a hundred thousand rivets flying in loose formation. Couldn't resist the old teeth rattler.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

SI It is nice to hear that they found out what the problem was and are getting you sorted.

I really like to see the photos of the models especially when done to look old and used. Reminds me of watching the real thing in my early childhood.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Yes. Coke Nuts. The bearded bloke on the left of the picture has a luvverly bunch.

Allegedly.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:................. But, touch wood, it all seems to be getting better now, thanks.....and am looking forward to being up to getting out on my bike (I think that it's almost a year since I've done what I would term "a proper ride", although it'll probably take some time to get that sort of fitness back).

Glad to hear you're on the mend :D ,I would think once you're back in the saddle it'll all come back pretty quick,just like riding bike really :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PW

Post by PW »

If it's kidney stones you have my sympathy - and mine were dissolved in 3 days by drugs and a lot of water. I've never known pain like it. :cry:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Get well soon Si. Have you considered scale cycle modelling? No, I'm sure once you get on your cycle it'll prove much the better activity.
Si

Post by Si »

CREPELLO wrote:Get well soon Si. Have you considered scale cycle modelling? No, I'm sure once you get on your cycle it'll prove much the better activity.

Cheers Crepello. Well, I do have a kit for a OO bike shed, complete with bikes. Just a pity I don't do OO at the mo.

Yesterday was my first virtually pain free day in I don't know how long. If it keeps up like this for a few days I shall venture forth on the bike next week.
Si

Post by Si »

splashed some paint:

have been weathering this afternoon (not shown in photo) - found a new technique: got an old water colour paint bloke, so old and cheap that wetting it with a brush has no effect. So, break it in two, spit on finger, rub on block then rub finger on model. On the plus side it produces a very good effect of random dirt on the wagon, on the minus side: you have to remember to wash your face afterwards - Mrs thought I had the plague!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Si wrote: got an old water colour paint bloke, so old and cheap that wetting it with a brush has no effect.

Poor sod. Nobody deserves that...
Si

Post by Si »

curious, sure that I didn't type that :oops:
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

Hello, Just noticed this thread!! I 'do' 7/8" scale out in the garden and use batteries and live steam. This scale is such that one has to 'bash' or convert everything. Take a peep at my web site.....www.amalgamatedconserves.org.uk....great fun when its too wet to pedal!