Toy Train Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
glueman

Re: Toy Train Thread

Postby glueman » 14 Jan 2010, 2:34pm

Christmas production was up at the Interminable Mucky Wagon Production company (minerals, fitted bauxite division).

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 14 Jan 2010, 3:24pm

glueman wrote:Christmas production was up at the Interminable Mucky Wagon Production company (minerals, fitted bauxite division).

Give them to MickF, he will soon have them spick & span. :wink:
Nice.
You'll never know if you don't try it.

glueman

Postby glueman » 14 Jan 2010, 3:40pm

Reckon Mick uses Silvo on his sprockets.

Si

Postby Si » 6 Mar 2010, 5:14pm

Done a bit more on my pug (OO gauge Dapol Pug kit converted to narrow gauge.)
I hope that my modelling is a bit better than my photography!
Just need to get a sunken headed screw to replace the brass derailer at the front, add the couplings, splash some filler on, and paint. So it will probably be finished around next Christmas.

pug.jpg
pug.jpg (13.86 KiB) Viewed 967 times

pug2.jpg
pug2.jpg (12.01 KiB) Viewed 967 times

pug3.jpg
pug3.jpg (5.24 KiB) Viewed 967 times

glueman

Postby glueman » 6 Mar 2010, 5:32pm

The standard gauge Pug motor is a tight fit in the cab. Your's is even more cramped Si with an open cab. Where's the motor go? Did you have to remove some ballast?

Si

Postby Si » 6 Mar 2010, 5:45pm

The chassis is a Farish J94 - used in 'out the box' form apart from drilling a hole at the front for the securing screw. TBO there is quite a bit of room in there, I can move the body 1cm or so back and forward. Width-wise the boiler and footplate in the kit were both 'solid' so a whole had to be cut through both to allow the mechanism inside - I did this fairly close to the sides and although you can see the worm in the photo this is really only due to the flash and to the angle that it is taken at - on the layout it's hardly noticeable. But I might put some tool boxes, old paint cans, etc along the side anyway.

Quite an enjoyable little project really, and cheap considering that the cheapest OO9 body kits (Peco) are around £20, but the Dpol kit is only £5 (plus I get a spare static chassis for my On16.5 layout).

glueman

Postby glueman » 6 Mar 2010, 6:01pm

Nice work. Is it a freelance NG loco, or based on a prototype?

Si

Postby Si » 7 Mar 2010, 12:32pm

very much freelance. The beauty of NG is that people are a lot less rigid about the loco models having real prototypes, afterall, the plans of most layouts are way different to anything that actually existed so why should the rolling stock have to match? :wink:

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 7 Mar 2010, 9:05pm

glueman wrote:Christmas production was up at the Interminable Mucky Wagon Production company (minerals, fitted bauxite division).

Now that is the best looking reproduction of rust I've seen. I always thought that the sheer matt-ness and orange-ness of rust was quite difficult to achieve If you could reproduce that on a bike as paint job (so it doesn't literally rust) it could be very effective as a thief deterrent.

glueman

Postby glueman » 8 Mar 2010, 8:32am

CREPELLO wrote:If you could reproduce that on a bike as paint job (so it doesn't literally rust) it could be very effective as a thief deterrent.

Not faux rust, but a few years ago I saw an immaculate steel Colnago locked up near St Pancras that had been 'vernacularised'. The owner had put bitumen tape on the frame and splattered household paint on the remaining parts, including the rims, in a bid to make it look ordinary. The Campag chainset had been painted too. As good a way as any of making a two-and-a-half-grand bike look like it cost fifty quid but you have to ask whether an old nail would have been more appropriate.

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 8 Mar 2010, 1:58pm

glueman wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:If you could reproduce that on a bike as paint job (so it doesn't literally rust) it could be very effective as a thief deterrent.

Not faux rust, but a few years ago I saw an immaculate steel Colnago locked up near St Pancras that had been 'vernacularised'. The owner had put bitumen tape on the frame and splattered household paint on the remaining parts, including the rims, in a bid to make it look ordinary. The Campag chainset had been painted too. As good a way as any of making a two-and-a-half-grand bike look like it cost fifty quid but you have to ask whether an old nail would have been more appropriate.
Acrylic art paint might be good for this customisation. I think it can be water resistant, but isn't a proper steel paint, so if it needed to be removed, the right solvent (hot soapy water) should get rid of it.

Having said that, I remember BTP painted a class 37 in police car colours back in the mid '80's for the summer holiday anti-tresspess campaign. It was painted in acrylic presisely so that they could strip it back to BR blue at the end of the campaign. They ended up having to paint it again in blue. :roll:

glueman

Postby glueman » 8 Mar 2010, 2:45pm

Apropos of nothing, the Tinsley based Peaks (class 45) received slightly wonky and very unofficial hand painted names at the end of their lives.
http://www.precisionlabels.com/class45.html

Si

Postby Si » 18 Mar 2010, 3:08pm

The new project - 'Rusty' a conversion of the Bachmann Junior OO range diesel shunter Rusty to a 7mm scale O16.5 narrow gauge shunter.

r1.jpg

r2.jpg
r2.jpg (15.08 KiB) Viewed 900 times

The cab is at a funny angle 'cos I've just mocked it for the photos - it's not attached yet and the roof line needs sorting out.
Notice that my photos are improving a bit :D

Si

Postby Si » 16 Jun 2010, 5:09pm

got a bit further with it (despite the cat knocking it off the shelf and putting a few dents (character?) into it:

also been fettling an O9 - it's basically another pug bash but to a larger scale. I'm quite happy with it as it only took one evening and was made from whatever I had lying around - staples, cocktail sticks, tippex, etc:

glueman

Postby glueman » 16 Jun 2010, 5:57pm

Liking those v. much Si. My son has Rusty - Harry in his case in blue - on a shunting plank. Tempted to liberate it from its life of crash, bang, wallop toil and get some narrow gauge sleepered 00. If I replace it with something from Hornby's Railroad range he might think it fair exchange..?

Interesting pug bash here.