Betamax

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rand

Re: Betamax

Post by rand »

Mick F wrote:
kwackers wrote:This is taken from your pic. See how his head has squares all over it? Edges of the ears and face?
Nope.
Can't see any squares anywhere.
Should I get my eyes tested?

I made your clip bigger. I can see one square on the face.
sheep2.png

I can clearly see a multiplicity of right angles on face.

Rand.
meic

Post by meic »

Well, I had my first visit today, sort of.

A car pulled up and a guy got out wearing a G4S jumper. He walked to the front door and posted a little note through it.
I was heading to the door thinking that it was a delivery man but he was already going.

The note was a glossy flier saying "We called today to help you start watching TV legally". Doesnt that make him a salesman? With his ID, date and time hand written on it. It was bilingual too. :D :D

Possibly he had already looked at the lack of TV aerial and decided not worth it. I am surprised that they drive out and personally post these things, multidrop drivers are cheap but not that cheap.
Yma o Hyd
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm surprised too.
Perhaps he lives locally and called round on his way home. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

As an aside about video/film quality, I came across this article discussing quality real & perceived, which I found interesting.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

RickH wrote:As an aside about video/film quality, I came across this article discussing quality real & perceived, which I found interesting.

Rick.

A few points.
Interlacing was/is a deliberate attempt to reduce bandwidth. Originally we simply couldn't build consumer equipment with the bandwidth to display a high frame rate full resolution image so we opted for an interlaced image that gave high resolution to stationary images and a lower resolution high frame rate image when it moved.
In this context his points about eye tracking are effectively moot - there was nowhere for your eyes to pan to on the latest hi-tech 17" screen. That's not to say it's a relevant technology anymore - it isn't and should have been junked.

He also ignores 1080p - he makes the presumption that a 1080 signal is always 1080i (true for broadcast but not for blu-ray).

Finally he's obviously never seen 'The Hobbit' at 48fps, if he had he'd realise that it's not as simple as just winding up frame rates.

Other than that he makes a number of good points.