First glances

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fausto copy

First glances

Post by fausto copy »

Just been looking on the Touring section and one posting was titled what I thought was
"Any experience of magnolia?"

I was just about to reply, "no, don't do it, paint it something brighter!"
when I realised what it really read.
Anyone else find this happens and any funny incidents?
reohn2

Re: First glances

Post by reohn2 »

Its the problem of reading the first two words or and part of the sentence,title whatever then assuming the rest,Motorists do it all the time at junctions :wink:
It could be described as being "out of the moment" or "out of the mind"
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

:lol:

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Brilliant Malc. I didn't even pause. point well made
gaz

Post by gaz »

I did pause although not for long. Strange thing is that I've seen the above before in print and that time I didn't pause.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ferrit worrier wrote:Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

:lol:

Malc

Thats surely missing the pont, Fausto had got the last word wrong due to assumption, reading Magnolia instead of Mongolia.
These two words start and end with the same letter,the mixing up of letters in a word is something completely different.
W H Auden
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Had a misshap at lunch time! On the CCTV I saw the sandwich trolly in the basement car cark, so I ran downstairs and had a quick look before it all went into the van. I thought I saw "Ham and experimental cheese" I just quickly blurted out "Whats experimental cheese while I was having a second look, :oops: I then re read the lable Ahh "Emmental" cheese. Well it was all sort of folded and not quite legible, honest. needless to say the girles thought it funny, I just had a red face.

rehon2

The purpose of the Cambridge uni thing was to demonstrate how the brain looks at words.

Malc
Lithril

Post by Lithril »

Had a similar one they other day, was meant to ask the kids if anyone had any new or used toys for cats, dogs or rabbits they'd like to donate... when I first read it at a glance all I read was "does anyone have anyone have any new or used, dogs, cats or rabbits..."

Matt
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ferrit worrier wrote:.

rehon2

The purpose of the Cambridge uni thing was to demonstrate how the brain looks at words.

Malc

Yep, I'm aware of that, I've seen it before,I was pointing out that the mind reading one thing as something else is a different thing to jumbling up the letters and then the mind sorting them out by resemblence.
Fausto was reading what wasn't there, whereas the Cambridge thing is sorting out what is there,which is different. :)

Sorry if it seems I'm being pandenitc :wink:
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

Well, since a certain bit of hoo-har a while ago I keep ready anything with "hubgear" in it as "hugbear". :oops:
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

rehon2

Ah, yes pniot teakn. :)

Malc
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I think a whole genre of Ealing comedy was based on it. Oh er mrs.

I bet I'm not the only one to go into the bakers and ask for a dam joenut.......
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
rjb

Post by rjb »

ferrit warrior

i take my piont kneat too! another glass maybe!
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Yes jsut aoubt to hvae a nigogn boefor bed, a ncie snigel mlat :D

mlac
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I've just remembered reading an advert years ago, where the mag. editor must have had the same trouble as me.

I swear this is true.
I was heavily into Hi-Fi and bought a copy of the local Yellow Ads paper.
In the Hi-Fi for sale section was an advert for....

Massey Ferguson Muck Spreakers!

Obviously this started off as a mis-spelling that the editor must have clocked as "speakers".
Still laughing about it now.

P.S. Didn't buy them; wouldn't fit on my shelf!