Job Applications

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cycle cat

Job Applications

Post by cycle cat »

Hello,

is any one else on this forum looking for work?
I left my previous job because my husband's job moved to Shropshire.
Now I'm back in the land of the "Unemployed Scum". Well that's the way you get treated.
Had an interview last week to be told "we've got other people to see, but you'll hear from us by Friday"

It's Friday today and there' been nothing. No phone calls, e mails or letters.
Now I'm used to prospective employers not replying to letters and not reaching the interview stage BUT I bothered to get all dolled up and go to
an interview and they can't even send me a letter to say I was unsuccessful.
I could have done the job riding backwards on a unicycle with one hand tied behind my back.

There, that's better. Rant over,

Cheers, CC.
Thank goodness for soup.
rualexander

Re: Job Applications

Post by rualexander »

Seems to be standard practice these days. Many employers do not bother to give the courtesy of a rejection letter after interview even when they tell you at the interview that they will let you know either way.
hamster

Post by hamster »

cycle cat wrote:I could have done the job riding backwards on a unicycle with one hand tied behind my back.

Sounds like you are overqualified... :shock:
Chin up. Sounds like they weren't worth working for. Not replying is just plain rude.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

You have to be very thick skinned when you're looking for jobs these days. If I were you I'd call the company who interviewed you and ask to be told why you didn't get the job. Even if their answer isn't very convincing it becomes water under the bridge. if their answer is 'Because you came into the interview backwards on a unicycle' then you can take that on board too, and try entering forwards :D

Remember also the time of year. The post is very slow. They may have sent you a letter
MattyDeez

Post by MattyDeez »

Finally got an apprenticeship secured for a year at a warehouse driving forklifts.

I know how you feel, it was a whole year before that searching for a job. I'm over qualified working as a mechanic for some reason.

Sent hundreds of letters/e-mails out per month, only ever get a few back.
grw

Post by grw »

Just got a job after a few months of looking. And yes, I had the same thing. It got to the stage where I would ring them several times. Just to get them to go through the same conversation again.
I was unemployed. I was bored. To hear some muppet who'd agreed to call me and hadn't, go through the same thing three or four times, was some consolation. If they were going to blatantly waste my time then I was going to blatantly waste theirs too...
cycle cat

Post by cycle cat »

Hello

thank you for your positive replies. It does seem the norm now for job seekers, that we don't get any feedback.
I don't think it's worth trying to contact them again.
There is a better job around the corner.
I must stay positive. There is a recession on and it seems there are hundreds of people going for every job that's advertised.

Perhaps I should get a job to do with one of my hobbies.
Any one need a cycling, bike fixing, cake baking, bird watching fudge maker?

No takers? Ah well.

Cc.
Thank goodness for soup.
MattyDeez

Post by MattyDeez »

Bird watching fudge maker?

That's a new hobbie! :D
FREDO

Post by FREDO »

Hi Cycle Cat,

I am in same position re job applications, been unemployed since January apart from 2 months work, my problem is my age, i am 60, tried for loads of jobs, willing to do anything, and getting no where.I agree with you, regarding letting applicants know re their applications, as a lot of applications are dealt via email now it doesnt take long or cost anything to select from the email list the ones who are not getting the job and send them confirmation.

Be positive, i am still, something will come along for you, GOOD LUCK.

fredo.