For computer buffs (or is it nerds?)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

For computer buffs (or is it nerds?)

Postby thirdcrank » 31 Dec 2009, 2:23pm

I've just had a call from my GP's surgery "Nothing to worry about, John * but can you bring in some urine after the Bank Holiday? It's just for the computer."

Does anybody know what it might be for? Electrolyte for the battery? Is it good for cleaning the screen? You do hear a lot about IT problems in the NHS but I had not realised things were in this state.

* If the NHS people must patronise me, why cannot they at least use the name I do? I suppose that would be taking the Mick, as well as extracting the urine. :roll:

hubgearfreak

Re: For computer buffs (or is it nerds?)

Postby hubgearfreak » 31 Dec 2009, 2:52pm

we call then geeks round these parts 8)

mrbarry

Postby mrbarry » 31 Dec 2009, 3:05pm

I am a tech and prefere to be called a nerd pls :D Built 2 new PCs last night in fact.
Doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride!

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 31 Dec 2009, 3:07pm

mrbarry wrote:prefere to be called a nerd pls :D

nerd it is then, no offence taken i hope :lol:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 31 Dec 2009, 3:28pm

Taking the Mick, eh Mick?
(as one Mick to another!)

It's starting to get to me. The health centre insist on calling me Stephen. I've complained a couple of times, and at least my GP knows me quite well, but it's the receptionists and the computers that are the problem. Perhaps they need the urine to oil the cogs somewhere. I must supply some, I seem to have enough, especially during the night!

The 'First Name' field on the database will only take your first name. There is no allowance for a second or subsequent name. I'm Stephen Michael. I like my name.

The thing is, I never use the Stephen, no-one does - just the health centre! I think I'm going to get them to hyphenate it to Stephen-Michael, that way, they must at least get it right.

"Mister" would be good too.

I hate over-familiarity from staff.
Mick F. Cornwall

meic

Postby meic » 31 Dec 2009, 3:40pm

I suppose you could go round and give it directly to the computer.

Unplug it first though.
Yma o Hyd

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 31 Dec 2009, 3:47pm

:D
Unplug what first?
Mick F. Cornwall

mrbarry

Postby mrbarry » 31 Dec 2009, 4:49pm

Oh god it gets worse :lol:

My biggest problem with PCs is spelling. I dont normaly proof read and its so easy to hit the wrong key, or simply miss spell something. I am quite a fast typer but dont touch type so have to look at the key board.

I used to have a program called something like 'ispell' that adds a spell check to your right click menu, but I formated my PC a few months back and forgot to back the program up, cant recall where I had it from now :(

Si

Postby Si » 31 Dec 2009, 4:52pm

I just use the spell checker in the google tool bar.

Basil W Bloke

Postby Basil W Bloke » 31 Dec 2009, 5:00pm

Or use Firefox, which unlike IE will spell check as you type.

As I'm on son's laptop at the mo and stuck with IE untill I can get home, I've just had to spell check that sentence.

And that one! :roll:
We are normal and we want our freedom
We are normal and we dig Bert Weedon

mrbarry

Postby mrbarry » 31 Dec 2009, 5:36pm

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Thats the one. I hadn't looked with any real conviction until I mad that post. I like it.
I also DESPISE google tool bar and all other tool bars forced down your throat by such companies. All they do is slow your PC down vastly and use up system resources. They clog the registry with trash and most of all get up my nose :lol: And what about 'bing' and all that cr*p IE ram on your system, god I hate their pushy tactics :evil: People who dont fully understand how to keep on top of thei PCs and keep them running sweet think its normal to have to wait 15 seconds for a page to open, it isnt you know! I have seen some slooooow PCs due to all that sort of rubbish. And lets face it 99% of people dont really understand how a PC opperates so they have to accept what they think they can trust, AKA microsoft!

Sorry for that little rant :oops:

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 31 Dec 2009, 6:37pm

meic wrote:I suppose you could go round and give it directly to the computer.

Unplug it first though.

I'll ask to see the netbook - or rather, their wee computer. :wink:

aj

Postby aj » 31 Dec 2009, 9:37pm

No surprises here, Microsoft has been taking the p for years.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 31 Dec 2009, 11:39pm

aj wrote:No surprises here, Microsoft has been taking the p for years.

In what way exactly? Charging twice as much for proprietary hardware? Locking stuff down so no-one can create 3rd party apps? Insisting on proprietary encrypted codecs, forcing you to install software just to access your MP3 player when the rest of the world has plug 'n play?
Or am I confusing Microsoft with Apple....

Then of course you can always go for that tour de force of ease of use and consistent interfaces that is linux. Favourite of geeks; set top box, router and remote control manufacturers the world over...

Of course no operating system is idiot proof, I've been running the same install of XP on my machine at home since it first appeared, my machine at work doesn't get turned off so that various distributed network jobs can be run on it when it's not in use. In fact the only app that ever seems to die on my machine tends to be Adobe Acrobat.

In my experience windows used properly is perfectly reliable, you only have to look at the amount of crap that people download and install to see why the majority have problems. Problems Apple avoid by simply not having anything like the amount of (crap) apps that can be downloaded, ditto Linux - plus Linux has the advantage that it's generally only used by geeks who are capable of fixing any issues without outside help and are very unlikely to complain about self-inflicted OS screw ups.

And don't get me started on open source. :x Having spent the last few hours trying to get Eclipse (which must be the crappest development system in the world) to do anything useful.

mrbarry

Postby mrbarry » 1 Jan 2010, 12:46am

Yeah apple are just as bad, perhaps worse. I have the iphone and good god its locked in iron. Only allow you to sync to a computer you cant access the Sim for phone numbers or contacts in-case you add ram to the Sim card expanding memory and removing the need for Apple to sell you a bigger model in 2 years. You cant blue tooth none apple phones. If you jail brake there is a virus that destroys the phone permanently, tell me Apple didn't commission that! And so it goes on.

And agreed its the down loaded crud that is the killer for windows, goggle tool bar, live tool bar, Norton tool bar, and don't even start with peer to peer sites. Programs to convert video files, programs to convert audio files, programs to convert nail files. Something to sort your pictures into albums, something to sort the albums into albums, AHHHH. You don't need it all you know there are simple ways to run your own file system. Virus checkers, Trojan checkers, firewalls. People have a love of free programs their friend recommends and so they have 37 of each of the afore mentioned types. How many are reading this thinking 'what does that program do Dave gave me last week?'

Its about time some one got around to replacing flash for something more efficient too!

A the end of the day windows started as a visual interface to DOS, and evolved into a monster :| :lol: