For computer buffs (or is it nerds?)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
aj

Re: For computer buffs (or is it nerds?)

Post by aj »

Hi Kwackers, your experiences must be different from mine but that's how it goes, some find Microsoft stuff works for them and some, myself included find it doesn't. I've used a Mac but can't ever recall having been forced to download anything or had any problems finding apps that I need to use it. I do however find Linux works well, is quick and easy to install and configure, seldom needs any attention apart from regular updates to keep it running sweetly and it does everything I need without hassle, its just miles easier to use for me than Windows ever was.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm AppleMac and love it.

I know the people at Apple have a strangle-hold on the software, but although it annoys me, I'm actually happy!
The OS is rock-solid, the machines work every time, and when you buy one, it works straight away without having to fuss and faff about.

Providing you do a maintenance routine every now and again, there are no crashes, no issues, and no problems.
Maybe that's the same with a PC.
Mick F. Cornwall
mrbarry

Post by mrbarry »

Apple is far better than PC. Apple is stable, reliable, fool proof almost. Mainly due to the lack of outragous toolbars and other installs that windows allows. New hardware and soft ware for a mac just goes on and works, first time, every time. Its not so with PC. I format my PC every few months and drag a drive image back to the hard disk so it is exactly the way I set it up day one, you just have to be sure to back up all data before hand or keep it in a 'D' drive hard disk as I do. Its something you dont have to do with mac but it takes 30 minutes and does keep things running well and virus free.
Doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mrbarry wrote:Apple is far better than PC. Apple is stable, reliable, fool proof almost. Mainly due to the lack of outragous toolbars and other installs that windows allows. New hardware and soft ware for a mac just goes on and works, first time, every time. Its not so with PC. I format my PC every few months and drag a drive image back to the hard disk so it is exactly the way I set it up day one, you just have to be sure to back up all data before hand or keep it in a 'D' drive hard disk as I do. Its something you dont have to do with mac but it takes 30 minutes and does keep things running well and virus free.

So your point is that Apple is the best machine for fools :-)
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mrbarry

Post by mrbarry »

lol. If apple had the support Microsoft have from 3rd party developers apple would be the choice for the Wise ;)

(All IMHO)
Doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

As with all these things, if it runs the software you want then fine. If not then chose something that does.

The Apple vs Microsoft vs Linux arguments runs long and deep. I use Microsoft because most of the software I want to run isn't available on a Mac or under Linux (and if it was I refuse to pay silly money for outdated hardware). It's an argument you can only have if you generally use fairly generic software which is available on more than one platform.
(Having said that, for their service to DRM and prolonging the agony I refuse to buy Apple products on principle - but that's a separate issue.)

PC's are not consumer items, they were never designed as such. What people really need is an embedded OS in a set top box. With the growing trend for online apps and storage, going out and buying a 4 core monster that requires it's own power station just to surf the web makes no sense these days.

Oh and a quick Linux rant - it really gets my goat these days that lazy manufacturers embed the thing onto everything they can rather than write proper embedded apps. I bought a remote control the other day - and b****r me if it doesn't have to boot! A quick investigation shows it's running Linux! It's a remote control! Why does it need to run Linux?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Well, I called in at the surgery today and it seems they need it for their records. As I remember the days of the gram-o-phone (pace "Alas Smith and Jones") we used to use Emitex and if we made do with a damp cloth it was tapwater. NHS cuts, I suppose.
meic

Post by meic »

Maybee they are making the records, some Ureaformaldehyde plastic possibly.
Yma o Hyd