"Essential journeys"

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: "Essential journeys"

Postby Mick F » 13 Jan 2010, 8:40am

Good grief 90 odd miles each way!

We have a few people round here that commute to Exeter - 50 miles each way. Also, many people, including me some years ago, would commute to Plymouth - but that's only 20 miles each way.
Mick F. Cornwall

glueman

Postby glueman » 13 Jan 2010, 9:53am

The east coast main line has plenty of long distance commuters. Wakefield station car park is full of daily travellers to London, ditto Doncaster, Retford, Grantham, etc. I suppose if your job is prepared to cover a season ticket to Kings X and the kids are settled at school in the north it's better than a lowly paid job locally. You still have to ask what kind of quality of life and stress a 400 miles round trip gives you.

The Valley is covered in black ice this morning. Everyone made the effort to get in before they stopped buses and shut schools. My wife took her boots off and tried walking in socks to get some grip but we called it a day when we drifted down hill in a stationary position. I heard someone on her mobile saying a car had overtaken impatiently at her 'dithering' and spun a series of 360s into a wall. The infirmary will be busy today.

Anura

Postby Anura » 24 Jan 2010, 9:59pm

I know this is going off the track a bit and hopefully the snow is gone for a while but years ago when we all walked to school as a matter of course, whatever the weather, you never heard of people slipping on ice and falling, like we've heard of recently. I don't remember slipping much myself.

Nowadays I won't go out on ice without mini-crampons on my shoes! Mind you, you have to be careful not to slip in shops!

So, was it not publicized if people were hurt years ago?

Colin63

Postby Colin63 » 24 Jan 2010, 10:35pm

Anura wrote:I know this is going off the track a bit and hopefully the snow is gone for a while but years ago when we all walked to school as a matter of course, whatever the weather, you never heard of people slipping on ice and falling, like we've heard of recently. I don't remember slipping much myself.

Nowadays I won't go out on ice without mini-crampons on my shoes! Mind you, you have to be careful not to slip in shops!

So, was it not publicized if people were hurt years ago?

Don't you remember the Weetabix Glow? We were all so hot that we just melted the snow and ice as we walked.