Manx Cat....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jamesy

Re: Manx Cat....

Post by Jamesy »

I'm sure "The Cat" has had a peek at what has been going on in her absence, and must be aware that the incident was a "one off", as well as being aware of the support for her. She will either come back or she won't, but at the end of the day, it's her decision.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". Robert G. Ingersoll
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jamesy wrote:I'm sure "The Cat" has had a peek at what has been going on in her absence, and must be aware that the incident was a "one off", as well as being aware of the support for her. She will either come back or she won't, but at the end of the day, it's her decision.

On a point of information, her profile shows last visited: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:24 am ; Last post Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:28 pm (Congratulating MickF on becoming a grandparent.)

Her last visit coincides with her deleting her OP in the medical insurance thread - now showing a mod's comment - but with this at the foot of the post: Last edited by Manx Cat on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this, it looks as though a valued forum member has pulled the plug.

As a personal reflection, I'd remind everybody that she came on here as a novice cyclist looking for all sorts of advice. I feel she got plenty of useful and constructive advice and she repaid that by relating in detail her progress as a cyclist - building up the mileage, going touring with her family, weight loss ( + countless pics of the baking) meeting Graham Obree and so on.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 24 Jan 2010, 1:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Internet forums are strange places. We sometimes invest quite a lot of ourselves in them. I once made a terrible gaff on another site and was just too embarrassed to go back, even though I knew none of the people and it was pretty unlikely that I ever would. I've also taken an attack which left me feeling surprisingly hurt and had to withdraw to lick my wounds for a bit.

I didn't read the thread which upset Mary and so don't want to do anything here other than add my voice to say that Mary's posts and interactions on this forum are fantastic and show what a good forum can be like. If you are reading this MC I hope that you come back soon and continue to enrich the nattering.
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

With the greatest of respect to all, perhaps it's time to close this thread. Manx Cat will be so embarassed at the effusive praise that she may be reluctant to return for that reason alone :) :) :)
Retired and loving it
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

Colin63 wrote:Internet forums are strange places.
Indeed, there are, some strange people on there too. The internet is really great thing to have, remembering the early 1980's, before the web came about. I'm on (was)another forum
which does a bit of chat on cycling, walking and, etc that I put a thread on there regarding Coast to Coast and 1 person was getting a bit cocky and I think he was taking the mick. I stopped going on that forum after 2 years on it, it's a bit annoying really, that one can spoilt it for other's.
Jamesy

Post by Jamesy »

I think the trick is to be more like the weather, and pay absolutely no attention to criticism!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". Robert G. Ingersoll
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Come back soon Mary, we are missing you.
Alan
p.s. IOM was featured in a recent Countryfile, Mary lives in such a beautiful island.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Hi Colin, know how you feel, I made a comment in jest on facebook following a posting my niece made a couple of days ago. Another friend of hers has responded with an attack on my personality, both unjust and hurtful. Now I have a lot of friends on facebook, they in turn have other friends, I would not make derogatory remark about someone I do not know and would not expect similar, it has left a bad taste ever since, though I will get over it .... more important things in my life. :D
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I understand completely, Eileithyia.

As I said earlier:
Mick F wrote:The thing is with forums (fora?), the written word - especially on the internet - can be taken the 'wrong way' all too easily. We all see the way that an OP gets hijacked and the thread goes off on a tangent into realms of agro and heartache right away from the original idea.

"Pinch of Salt" comes to mind, but sometimes the comments hurt.
Mick F. Cornwall
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Edwards wrote:Manx Cat was rightly upset about a reply to a question she asked. I do not think she has been back since, such a shame.

I was completely unaware of this thread/post (and still am)- no doubt like many forum members? We need you back Manx Cat, you always have a positive comment. You've started doing Audax I believe? - I'll be doing my first in April, thanks to all the positive stuff that was written both by you, and in response to you. And as for that picture of the Octopus on the cycle path... Well I'm still laughing. So ignore the odd badly written or offensive post, and remember that in truth most of us are here to inspire each other - and most of us achieve exactly that.
David
Si

Post by Si »

Agree with eileithyia re more symbols...although if I recall someone was unhappy with ?Si for overuse of these!!

I think that what I might have said was that people shouldn't assume that they can launch a scathing attack on someone and then just plonk a ' :D ' on the end so that they can claim that they were only joking if called on it. I've nothing against 'smilies' as long as they are not used as a cover for poor behaviour; in many instances they can be a positive thing - showing that no offence is meant, but one should always think carefully about how the message might be read if partaking in 'banter'.
glueman

Post by glueman »

Si wrote:I think that what I might have said was that people shouldn't assume that they can launch a scathing attack on someone and then just plonk a ' :D ' on the end so that they can claim that they were only joking if called on it.

Absolutely. Smillies are often used as a cosh, not an empathiser. When you see a row of them reach for something blunt and heavy.

BTW I have no idea why Manxy left but hope she returns.
Anura

Post by Anura »

Yes, haven't been on here for a while to read posts and was surprised to read this post about Manx Cat. I hope she does come back as I've always been interested in all her posts and photographs, particularly as I've folk over in the Island. At one time we were going to meet up if I went over there with a bike.

Sometimes I think it's easy for people not to think of other people's feelings when making cutting remarks, that might face to face not be interpreted the same. Or you could have a go back at them and sort it out. Perhaps people who have the attitude to "tell it straight" should think before writing barbed comments.

Come back soon Manx Cat!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Does anyone remember this?
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4398&start=0
I upset someone when I pushed a point a little too far.
'nuff said.
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

We are supposed to be here for our benefit. After a little forum based unpleasantness a bit of time off the forum is not a bad thing.

I have had a few times out when I had had a bellyful of people who dont know the difference between England and the UK. :roll:

but unlike Manx Cat nobody noticed I was missing. :)

So nobody noticed when I returned either which made it much easier.
Yma o Hyd