togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
hartleymartin

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by hartleymartin »

Greybeard wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:though I have something in my mind that's telling me the Twenty was EVEN WIDER :shock: than other Raleighs.

It is - much :? Should the axle be a bit short I'm minded to mount the frame in the milling machine and narrow it down a bit - a half frame is a bit easier to handle for those type of jobs :) The other alternative I had considered was cutting a standard axle then sleeving and welding it. There's always a way around these things I suppose.

MikewsMITH2 wrote: (re threading) Yes there;s a guy in Hereford

Thanks for the link, Mike. I'll drop him a line
Steve

Oh yeah, it's a very wide bottom-bracket. 76mm all up. There are several options, but if you're feeling brave and can work accurately, perhaps the best thing to do is to remove 4mm either side of the bottom bracket (requires hacksaw, files, engineer's square, time and patience) and then use a 68mm wide self-tightening cartridge bottom bracket. If you can get your hands on 26tpi cups, a supply of ball bearings and a tub of grease you can just keep re-building it. The bottom bracket cups should last a long time. Even when worn, you can usually eek out a bit more use from them by thoroughly packing them with lots of grease.
Martin Hartley from Sydney, Australia
Self-confessed Raleigh Twenty tragic.
http://raleightwenty.webs.com
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

I saw a very fashionable young lady riding a Raleigh RSW16 today in Southampton City Centre. Not balloon tyred, so probably not original wheels, but the bike looked quite chic for a city bike. There were a pair of the things on ebay a few months back went for £30 the pair
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

broken fork.jpg

Hello, and apologies for this rather sad first appearance by me. A fork blade on my TCT bike has broken and I am hoping to meet up with a replacement pair of forks in time for September. The bike is a 1958 Raleigh Superbe with 28" wheels, frame size 24", steering column approx 9" (not yet removed from frame). A frame builder will transfer a fork blade from donor set of forks and repaint them but this will be around £100 (plus I have to get donor forks in the first place). The fork broke one week after sorting out the steering lock!
All tip-offs gratefully received,
Many thanks,
Steve
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Steve B, welcome to the thread :D

I won't make any smart-alec comments about what a cracking bike that is :shock: :oops:

This is where we find out just how resourceful TCTers are. Can we ensure this bikes attendance at the TCT?

Alas I've nothing nearly big enough in my parts pile. Does anyone else?

Pink bits crossed :|
random37

Post by random37 »

One of these? Wouldn't look too out of place, and at least the correct size:

http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/product ... el%20Forks
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

steve browne wrote:I am hoping to meet up with a replacement pair of forks in time for September. frame size 24", steering column approx 9" (not yet removed from frame).

please confirm the exact measurements. otherwise, would a 23.5" 1950s raleigh superbe frame and forks be a suitable replacement?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

sorry, the one i had in mind would have had 590 wheels and tyres, yours has 635 wheels and tyres, so it wouldn't be a case of just transferring stuff across. :(
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

As a short term measure (which could in fact probably last another fifty years!)how about wrapping a short length of split tubing around the fork and over the crack and then welding and painting to match? (Something like an exhaust bandage). For an intended concours machine it wouldn't do of course, but it would at least keep the bike mobile.
Last edited by pioneer on 2 Jul 2010, 6:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

cracked fork 2.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, and frame offer -much appreciated. This photo shows the shape of the fork crown (the side which isn't visible has an upward protruding lump where the steering lock pin resides -ideally I'm after one of these so I can still use the lock [novelty feature, not security device]). It seems that the 26" forks are more obtainable than the 28" ones. The measurement from the centre of the wheel spindle to the centre of the dimple in the fork crown is 15 & 5/8"
robc02

Post by robc02 »

As a short term measure (which could in fact probably last another fifty years!)how about wrapping a short length of split tubing around the fork and over the crack and then welding and painting to match?

If you are keen, a neater "temporary but will last forever" repair would be to fabricate an internal sleeve and then braze it in place. The joint could then be smoothed and be invisible once painted.
Just a thought, though - why did it break in the first place? I would have a really good look around the crack to see if there are any other signs of stress, and also check the forks for straightness. Is the other blade OK?
random37

Post by random37 »

Personally, I would not fancy a repaired fork, even on one of these.

The danger is failure somewhere else. Breaking forks are really nasty.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Just measured all my Raleigh forks, 14 & 1/2" :(
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

chris667 wrote:Breaking forks are really nasty.

happened to a friend of mine, he landed on his chin at 20mph. i certainly wouldn't ride repaired forks. :shock:
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Shiny Bits Have Arrived!

For the Moulton. The frame forkses rack and mudguards are with the powder coaters. new rear suspension pivot and transfers on order from Moulton Preservation; Shiny alloy seatpin, even shinier Sun alloy, double skinned and eyletted rims, nice bald Schwalbe Kojak tyres (115psi no less! ) and tubes. The rest of the bits are already alloy and will shine up nicely. I'm using a Shimano 105 front hub (on order) and a 105 chainset (in stock). Just saddle and pedals to sort out. FW hub gear (for now) as there's no budget for a 7 or 8 speed. Whadya think?

I'm going to have to go to a BMX supplier for spokes, but I can get them in any colour I like :D (hubbers eat your heart out)
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

sounds like a top plan mike (apart from using sh*m*n* bits), i look forward to the results. :D