togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
MikewsMITH2

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

If anyone needs Raleigh 26tpi headsets, Hilary Stone of LFGSS has some NOS ones still sealed in the factory bag. Should be much better than the Indian repros.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
Roadstersrevenge

Post by Roadstersrevenge »

MikewsMITH2 wrote:If anyone needs Raleigh 26tpi headsets, Hilary Stone of LFGSS has some NOS ones still sealed in the factory bag. Should be much better than the Indian repros.

At a price I imagine.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

MikewsMITH2 wrote:NOS ones still sealed in the factory bag.

have you got a link please? :D
Roadstersrevenge

Post by Roadstersrevenge »

http://www.lfgss.com/thread53572.html

Tempted myself actually..
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I'll bet nobody here has done a job on a bicycle like I've just done - I've steamed a wooden mudguard back into shape :shock:
It was the front one of the Lady's Pedersen - it had straightened out a tad meaning it was rubbing on the tyre a little at the mid-way point. I found that strapping it to a bare 28 inch rim and steaming it over a boiling kettle spout (a highly polished WW1 copper one of an age close to that of the machine in question, naturally :roll: ) its ideal curvature was duly restored.
Not exactly an exciting evening was it, but hey, at least it was something cycle-ish :oops:
Hopefully, 13 yr old daughter will be using the bike on a vintage club run this weekend - weather permitting. Once any niggles are ironed out it'll be time for some restoration to begin :P

Steve (wots getting the DT's through not tinkering with bikes enough coz it's too cold int' workshop)
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

MikewsMITH2 wrote:Well I know I've lost a bit of weight but half?

Fear not, Mr Smith. I'll probably have enough to round it up anyway :oops:

Steve (wots currently living on fresh air and dust - leastways, it feels like it :? )
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

I've steamed a wooden mudguard back into shape :shock:

Reminds me of fitting the rubbing strakes round the gunwales of my boat. Lots of steam and the whole family leaning on it while I put the screws in! Left it for a week before I glued it in the belief that when I unscrewed it it would have taken up the curve of the boat. Not quite! I still needed the family to help me bend it round! Now I know why most of them are laminated up from 2 pieces!

S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Mike that is one beautiful boat I think it gorgeous. I dread to think how long it took to get it looking as good?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Thanks Keith it took a year to restore it from a total wreck to the stage you see in the photo.I wasn't working at the time so I had plenty of time on my hands!
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Greybeard wrote:Steve (wots getting the DT's through not tinkering with bikes enough coz it's too cold int' workshop)

Woodburner :wink:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Greybeard wrote:
MikewsMITH2 wrote:Well I know I've lost a bit of weight but half?

Fear not, Mr Smith. I'll probably have enough to round it up anyway :oops:

I yain't sayin' nuffin' :roll:
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Edwards wrote:Mike that is one beautiful boat I think it gorgeous. I dread to think how long it took to get it looking as good?

I'll go along with that :P Except I do know how long it takes to do a job like that - I did the same with a 1950's Graduate dinghy that was my first boat. I was almost afraid to use it :? Almost :wink: I was sorry to see it go when I went for a bigger craft, but at least the buyer got a boat that would last for years. I wonder where she is now :roll:

Steve
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

Post Mortem Report on five speed Sturmey Archer hub (see p 194).
hole 1.jpg
hole 2.jpg

These two pictures show the hole from the inside of the hub. The hole appears to have been punched out by one of the low gear pawls which became partially dislodged from the planet gear housing when the outer end of its retaining pin sheared off. This end was found as a tiny ring of metal stuck to the inside of the hub shell.
end of pawl retaining pin.jpg
With the pin no longer retained it presumably worked its way loose allowing the pawl to slip from engagement with the ratchet teeth to the softer aluminium of the hub shell.
The low gear pawl should look like this one, where the recessed end of the retaining pin is clearly visible.
low gear pawl 2.jpg

In the final picture the pin and pawl have been removed from the planet gear housing.
site of the problem.jpg
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Not fair, Steve B, you've been having all the fun :shock:

It all looks very "FM" so not hugely surprised it's exploded out through the shell. The FM got quite a reputation for doing the same thing, as Mike Smith is about to find out :wink:

I've spent my day finishing and oiling Frankenbike. I'm so pleased with it's gut-churning ugliness, rust, dripping oil, bent bits, general clattering and graunching and astonishing comfort, that I'm bringing it as my Day 1 bike on TCT2. Took me ages to find three different coloured and suitably knackered cable outers from my scrap heap :? I also managed to find two completely mis-matched brake levers, though currently I'm having less luck with handlebar grips; both are the same and in good condition :(

I shall be storing it in the chicken run just to make sure it's improved by June 8)
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

steve browne wrote:Post Mortem Report on five speed Sturmey Archer hub (see p 194).
These two pictures show the hole from the inside of the hub...

:shock: You timed that well! I'll be dismantling my seized SA XL-RD5(W) tomorrow ...

... I don't think I'll sleep a wink tonight for worry about what I might find! :? :D

My condolances to you - I hope you give it a good send-off.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/