togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Edwards

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Postby Edwards » 15 Jan 2011, 5:24pm

GrahamNR17 wrote:I've spent my day finishing and oiling Frankenbike. I'm so pleased with it's gut-churning ugliness, rust, dripping oil, bent bits, general clattering and graunching and astonishing comfort,

I am curous now any chance of a picture or is it a secret?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

Greybeard

Postby Greybeard » 15 Jan 2011, 6:05pm

Nowt to do with bikes again, but I've spent today removing the cylinder heads and pistons from a 1953 Lister 3-cylinder marine engine fitted in the Humber keel. Lots of lovely black diesel oil under the fingernails but no skin lost this time :? All three heads show signs of leaking, but no damage to the surfaces so new gaskets should cure that. What they won't cure however is the barrel shaped wear to the pistons and that on the big end shells :cry: I'm also going to have to remove the cylinder liners to check on the wall thickness as they are cooled by sea water. If they're pitted or the bore's worn then I'm reckoning on a £1500 bill for new parts :shock: - my labour comes free of course - because it's a HOBBY :| :roll: :? :shock:
What a pity the preservation society can't run to £10,000 for a nice shiny new JCB engine :cry:

On the plus side - it's a vintage bike ride tomorrow :P

Steve (wot smells of swarfega)

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 15 Jan 2011, 6:16pm

Greybeard wrote:... I'm reckoning on a £1500 bill for new parts :shock: - my labour comes free of course - because it's a HOBBY :| :roll: :? :shock:

You can still get new parts for old Lister junk? :shock:

steve browne

Postby steve browne » 15 Jan 2011, 6:22pm

corshamjim wrote: I'll be dismantling my seized SA XL-RD5(W) tomorrow ...

... I don't think I'll sleep a wink tonight for worry about what I might find! :? :D

Good luck with the fettling. If you come across anything which would cause you to disrecommend this hub please post some details as I've been thinking about getting one. Thanks

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 15 Jan 2011, 6:40pm

Edwards wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:I've spent my day finishing and oiling Frankenbike. I'm so pleased with it's gut-churning ugliness, rust, dripping oil, bent bits, general clattering and graunching and astonishing comfort,

I am curous now any chance of a picture or is it a secret?

I'll take some pics in due course :wink:

It's a pre-war BSA frame that weighs approximately fifteen tons (imperial), hand-painted many decades ago in what I think is Morris Minor maroon/burgundy, very old steel wheels that probably once had chrome, now so rusty there's actually holes in them. The spokes are so rusty that most of them are about half their original thickness. The hub gear is a pre-war AW (un-dated, but prior to the patent being granted). It is heavily rusted 8) Cranks are Raleigh, BB is half TDC and half something else. One pedal is from a roadster, one from an old racer. Mudguards used to be aluminium, but are now mostly aluminium oxide, ditto the Plestcher rear carrier. Handlebars are North Road from when they were the proper shape, not the splayed-out imitations you can still buy. Stem is from a Rudge. Brakes are post-war Raleigh pressed steel. The other 70 percent of the bike is rust and oil :mrgreen:

It looks dreadful and rides like an armchair - heavy but comfy. Bit like a fat lass really :mrgreen:

Greybeard

Postby Greybeard » 15 Jan 2011, 6:42pm

GrahamNR17 wrote:You can still get new parts for old Lister junk? :shock:

They may still be in busines in some form or other as far as I know - old Listers don't die, they just need a coat of looking at now and again. A bit like 26tpi Raleighs, and there are folk out there who give up on those far too easily :? Best of all, Mikael Pedersen was with them as an engineer/designer in the late 1800's - 'nuff sed :wink:

Steve

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 15 Jan 2011, 6:51pm

Greybeard wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:You can still get new parts for old Lister junk? :shock:

They may still be in busines in some form or other as far as I know - old Listers don't die, they just need a coat of looking at now and again. A bit like 26tpi Raleighs, and there are folk out there who give up on those far too easily :? Best of all, Mikael Pedersen was with them as an engineer/designer in the late 1800's - 'nuff sed :wink:

Yes, I'm aware they were robust bits of kit, but hadn't realised there's still bits of it still being used in anger :shock:

Just done some googlin' - they're now part of Petter, another name I recognise for robust chunks of engine.

Good luck with it, sounds like hours of fun :mrgreen:

As for Raleigh and 26tpi - tsk :roll:

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 15 Jan 2011, 7:03pm

Just spoken with Jo at the campsite for TCT2. If you mention you are attending the "Toggle Chain Tour cycle ride" they will lump us all together in the same area of the site for the duration. If you've alerady booked your pitch, might be as well to get in touch and ensure you're in included (if you even want to be!)

I will be drawing everyone's attention to their site rules though :wink:

fossil

Postby fossil » 15 Jan 2011, 10:27pm

Allrighty then :lol:

just typed in my details on the TCT booking form , me + swmbo will be camping , and if i can find a cheep hercules balmoral , like she had when she was a student I might get her to cycle as well

note to self .. finish Walter !!

Greybeard

Postby Greybeard » 15 Jan 2011, 10:37pm

GrahamNR17 wrote:Just spoken with Jo at the campsite for TCT2. If you mention you are attending the "Toggle Chain Tour cycle ride" they will lump us all together in the same area of the site for the duration.

Well done, Graham :P
Hubs, are you sharing my tent again? :oops:
Hey. It's not what it seems, folks. :shock: Just two regular guys having a weekend cycling and doing regular guy things :?

Steve (wot thinks he's sharing too much with you lot :wink: )

fossil

Postby fossil » 15 Jan 2011, 11:17pm

can i ask a question about the route? , does it go via Corfe castle to the ferry or Vicky verky ?

MikewsMITH2

Postby MikewsMITH2 » 16 Jan 2011, 12:09am

can i ask a question about the route? , does it go via Corfe castle to the ferry or Vicky verky ?

The plan is to go from Corfe to the ferry. The proposed route is via the oil road which is flat and avoids the viewpoint hill, but does involve a very short off road section which is quite do-able on narrow tyres. Although in the spirit of adventure, a more energetic sub group might want to try the viewpoint so as to enjoy the fantastic view and be rewarded with an ice cream from the van at the top.

I would of course volunteer to lead the viewpoint group but the oil road is a more complicated route and people might get lost so I will have to do that myself. :oops:
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 16 Jan 2011, 8:47am

Greybeard wrote:Steve (wot thinks he's sharing too much with you lot :wink: )

Seems nobody disagrees :lol:

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 16 Jan 2011, 10:06am

I'm having trouble finding any resources for dating BSA frames. Anyone know of anything?

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 16 Jan 2011, 12:56pm

Greybeard wrote:Hubs, are you sharing my tent again? :oops:

thanks, that'd be great. i'll find a decent scotch between now and then :wink:

ygpm