togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
GrahamNR17

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:I'm busying myself by cleansing the garage of all cottered crap

don't scrap them, please :shock:

For the last 5 weeks I've been putting it up on the TCT site at low "mates rates", and anything left after a week has been going on fleabay with the uninteresting modern cr@p at 2 to 3 times the price. There's been over 50 bits so far, cottered cranksets for a fiver, dyno/gear hubs, Mafac brakes, "NOS" rubber roadster pedals, stainless westwood rims... Next lot will be going up on Sunday. Half of it's ended up in Japan and America so far, even Mexico!
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

you've got a shop :shock: thanks. i'll keep a close eye on the OBS this sunday :wink:
Roadstersrevenge

Post by Roadstersrevenge »

GrahamNR17 wrote:
hubgearfreak wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:, stainless westwood rims...!

*groans*

I've been after some of those for longer than I can remember - and I scour the for sale section here daily!

Is it you selling the Westrick rims on fleabay at the moment? I was about to bid on them.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Roadstersrevenge wrote:*groans*

I've been after some of those for longer than I can remember - and I scour the for sale section here daily!

Is it you selling the Westrick rims on fleabay at the moment? I was about to bid on them.

I rarely put anything olde worlde in the For Sale section on here :oops: The fleabay ones aren't mine, that sort of stuff never makes it as far as fleabay. I'll put your name on this set so you'll have first dibs.
Roadstersrevenge

Yes please!!
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

Second hand stainless rims: possibly my experience is not typical but I have purchased two pairs (ebay) which look fine but the front wheels are not completely circular. So the rim brakes snatch as the wheel rotates. It is very difficult to pick up this fault without the rim on a wheel and the wheel in a truing jig. Probably been ridden into a granite kerb in the 1950s! I am in the process of fitting a hub brake to one roadster front wheel just so I can keep the rims as a pair. I hope you have better luck than me Tim.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

steve browne wrote:Second hand stainless rims: possibly my experience is not typical but I have purchased two pairs (ebay) which look fine but the front wheels are not completely circular. So the rim brakes snatch as the wheel rotates. It is very difficult to pick up this fault without the rim on a wheel and the wheel in a truing jig. Probably been ridden into a granite kerb in the 1950s! I am in the process of fitting a hub brake to one roadster front wheel just so I can keep the rims as a pair. I hope you have better luck than me Tim.

I wonder how much this tells us about your wheel building skills :lol:
robc02

Post by robc02 »

For the last 5 weeks I've been putting it up on the TCT site at low "mates rates"

I've put your site as one of my speed-dials. I promise to check it often!
Roadstersrevenge

just checked it! Can I have dibs on the Rudge Mudguards, one, possibly both of the FG hubs, and both sets of rims please!

right, must go and sell my mother now..
robc02

Post by robc02 »

GrahamNR17 wrote:
steve browne wrote:Second hand stainless rims: possibly my experience is not typical but I have purchased two pairs (ebay) which look fine but the front wheels are not completely circular. So the rim brakes snatch as the wheel rotates. It is very difficult to pick up this fault without the rim on a wheel and the wheel in a truing jig. Probably been ridden into a granite kerb in the 1950s! I am in the process of fitting a hub brake to one roadster front wheel just so I can keep the rims as a pair. I hope you have better luck than me Tim.

I wonder how much this tells us about your wheel building skills :lol:

Steve, you should ignore such taunts 8) . You have my support here. It can indeed be difficult to build a really good wheel with a second hand rim - and rim brakes are not at all tolerant of wobbly, dented or otherwise imperfect rims. I have managed to knock out the worst of a ripple in the braking surface, almost certainly the result of hitting a curb or pothole, but it can still be felt when braking. The worst problem is when there is a "flat" on the rim covering just a couple of spoke holes - impossible to get rid of by spoke tension alone.

Anyway, it makes hub brakes look ever more attractive - especially on old roadsters as some models had them originally.

I've got a couple of project involving hub brakes on the go - my lady's Royal Enfield with rod operated ones, and a more modern "bitsa" based on a Raleigh Routier frame and SA Elite hubs. I'll be posting photos when there's something worth showing. :)
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Apols for no OBS listing yesterday, I got carried away with my TCT2 bike :oops:

Still unsure about the mudguards. They might look better in black if I go for an upright roadster look, or polished alu if a more sporty look. Can't decide yet.
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

Looks lovely! :D And there was me thinking the Raleigh was what you'd be bringing.

I was looking at some stuff about BSA and in particular the Paratrooper bikes only this morning as I heard the Pashley Tuberider was based on it. My golly, the prices of some of them though! :shock:
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

corshamjim wrote:Looks lovely! :D And there was me thinking the Raleigh was what you'd be bringing.

I was looking at some stuff about BSA and in particular the Paratrooper bikes only this morning as I heard the Pashley Tuberider was based on it. My golly, the prices of some of them though! :shock:

I'd happily kill for a BSA paratrooper bike :shock: There's one comes along on our VCC meets each month, and I swear it's one of the prettiest shaped bikes I've ever seen. The lines are just gorgeous 8)
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Still unsure about the mudguards. They might look better in black if I go for an upright roadster look, or polished alu if a more sporty look. Can't decide yet.

'Slooking good. Definitely black mudguards though - much more distinguished. And for goodness sake, please fit a proper BSA chainwheel :roll:

Steve :wink: