togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
robc02

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Postby robc02 » 30 Mar 2011, 9:10am

MikewsMITH2 wrote:Last time I went there was probably 1968. He pointed an airgun at me as I walked in. He wasn't doing so well by then and half the shop was a second hand store cum pawn shop. I decided that Fred had got a little too eccentric so decided to patronize Joe Poyner up the road.

Poyner's was my favoured bike shop during the '70s. It probably won't surprise you to learn that I still have some of my earliest cycling purchases from his shop :oops:

Si

Postby Si » 30 Mar 2011, 10:18am

GrahamNR17 wrote:If I use a 21" frame (with 26" wheels) as a road bike, what would be the required MTB frame size?

I use a 21.5 inch (700c) and a 19inch (26inch) road bikes. I've two MTBs (the same model of frame in fact, but with diferent components for different jobs). They are 16 and 18 inch frames. Both fit me perfectly. Hope this helps.

MikewsMITH2

Postby MikewsMITH2 » 30 Mar 2011, 10:43am

If I use a 21" frame (with 26" wheels) as a road bike, what would be the required MTB frame size?

Errrr exactly where are the mountains in Norwich?
If you find a mountain to ride it on the answer is 17"
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 30 Mar 2011, 12:27pm

MikewsMITH2 wrote:
If I use a 21" frame (with 26" wheels) as a road bike, what would be the required MTB frame size?

If you find a mountain to ride it on the answer is 17"

I'm building a three-speed around a curvy ATB frame, a hint at what the Pashley a few pages back looks like.

Anyway, we have a few hills. I expect :|

mark barker

Postby mark barker » 30 Mar 2011, 12:51pm

Si wrote:If not, does anyone fancy one from Birmingham (with its good rail connection to many places)?

Depending on the date I'd be up for that (on my rather lovely '70s 3 speed folder!)

robc02

Postby robc02 » 30 Mar 2011, 1:13pm

I've heard MTBs are quite good for bog snorkelling. There's plenty of opportunity for that in Norfolk - that's probably what he wants it for. :mrgreen:

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 30 Mar 2011, 4:29pm

robc02 wrote:

I've heard MTBs are quite good for bog snorkelling. There's plenty of opportunity for that in Norfolk - that's probably what he wants it for. :mrgreen:

It snot an actual MTB, just the same geometry. it's gonna be a three-speed road bike, inspired by the shape of the lovely Pashley curvy bike a few pages back :roll:

Greybeard

Postby Greybeard » 30 Mar 2011, 7:28pm

Cracking day out today - 30 miles of off-road pleasure along bridleways and tracks around the Wharfe Valley north of Leeds. A Rough Stuff Fellowship outing with a token representation of Togglechain machinery courtesy of our very own Hubs on his 9-speed 29er. It was the sort of ride on which a trusty, road-going 3-speed SA would have been found woefully wanting - and would have been pushed and carried quite a lot :shock: . Lovely scenery, decent weather (only one very light shower despite the dodgy forecast) and excellent company.
I've added a piccy of our Tim negotiating a raging torrent in a manner I described as being disappointingly successful - wouldn't it have been a better pic with a more horizontally disposed and moist rider :roll:
My new berfday prezzie Satmap Active 10 reckons we'd climbed 2,500ft - sounds a lot but I cna't say it was too arduous :?
Steve

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 30 Mar 2011, 7:43pm

Greybeard wrote:wouldn't it have been a better pic with a more horizontally disposed and moist rider :roll:

i'm sorry for letting you down :lol:

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 30 Mar 2011, 8:02pm

The dynamo, it works :mrgreen: The lights light, a pleasant... orange :lol:

I put in a set of 6v screw cap LEDs, which flicker nicely with the AC being gently delivered by the GH6. Alas the current draw from LEDs is so low, the voltage soon rises above 6v, so I went back to the sleepy glow of incandescent bulbs.

As lights go, they're as useless as I remember. But as they're there, they may as well work.

A good evening's work. I'll now go and find the spare mount for the Ixon IQ so I can see where I'm going 8)

robc02

Postby robc02 » 30 Mar 2011, 8:20pm

GrahamNR17 wrote:The dynamo, it works :mrgreen: The lights light, a pleasant... orange :lol:

I put in a set of 6v screw cap LEDs, which flicker nicely with the AC being gently delivered by the GH6. Alas the current draw from LEDs is so low, the voltage soon rises above 6v, so I went back to the sleepy glow of incandescent bulbs.

As lights go, they're as useless as I remember. But as they're there, they may as well work.

A good evening's work. I'll now go and find the spare mount for the Ixon IQ so I can see where I'm going 8)

You need low wattage lamps, the GH6 won't light 2.4W front and 0.6W rears. Its output is about 2W. Reflectalite do something they say is suitable for the front - their GH107 model 5V 1.5W, about half way down this page. Use a standard rear lamp.

Whichever way you look at it, this lighting is of the "be seen" variety. If you want "to see by" lighting you need a modern LED lamp. I have Busch and Muller D'lumotec innards in a Sturmey Archer lamp, and B&M Seculite rear, all powered from my Sturmey FG hub (slightly lower output than yours). It is fine - I regulary ride on unlit roads at night and can see plenty well enough for roadster speeds!

Steve Browne has something similar - I can't remember which LED parts he used but I remember him saying he was very pleased with it.

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 31 Mar 2011, 6:21pm

Greybeard wrote:...Rough Stuff Fellowship...

Yeah, it looks really tough and wild :roll:

Glad you had a fun day. I imagine the 29er made light work of bumps and potholes. Glad there was at least one machine holding the great hub geared end up - good work Tim :mrgreen:

Biscuit

Postby Biscuit » 31 Mar 2011, 9:03pm

Bin a long while since I posted and havent been cycling much either......... still thinking of TCT though! I've just read lots of posts about all the things people Have done to their bikes.......... paint, hubs, bearings, races shiny things, cables spokes etc

I got my Humber out t'other day,

pumped the back tyre up and I washed it then I rode it to work :-)

Cant understand why I havent been riding much but sometimes you just get sidetracked.

Keep, painting, polishing, fettling, tweaking etc TCT will soon come round.

steve browne

Postby steve browne » 1 Apr 2011, 9:12am

I do hope I will not be the only person with a togglechain bike from the scruffier end of the spectrum. I washed a lot of encrusted mud and grease off yesterday to reveal a patchwork of bare metal, rust and flaky paint.
I am also trying to get hold of rod brake linkages to operate the newly installed (pitted chrome finish) front hub brake. This is required as the lovely shiny stainless steel rim is dented. A wanted notice on this site produced no response -if anyone has bright ideas on where I might try next I'd be grateful to hear them. Thanks

Si

Postby Si » 1 Apr 2011, 9:15am

It was the sort of ride on which a trusty, road-going 3-speed SA would have been found woefully wanting

I take note that you said "road going", but I wonder - would your bog standard Sturmey 3spd be able to handle the extra panning that it would get if built into an MTB? In terms of gearing it ought to be fine for most off roading - if you can SS then you can certainly manage with 3spd, but I'm just wondering how robust it would be in difficult terrain?