togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
hubgearfreak

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Postby hubgearfreak » 4 Jul 2011, 10:48pm

MikewsMITH2 wrote:Well I am leaving it all to Graham next time. Having been blamed for the Dorset weather penetrating Graham's leaky tent, the odd bit of gravel penetrating Graham's fragile tyres, and Graham being unable to keep up with an overweight, asthmatic 60 year old with a quarter of his heart not working and Graham Not getting enough cups of tea, I am feeling a bit paranoid.
Mike wot finks Graham is a bit grumpy about TCT2

don't be silly. saturday was lovely. monday was superb and i enjoyed spending the sunday in the pub when you failed us on the weather. and steve may look 60, but he's not quite there :P

MikewsMITH2

Postby MikewsMITH2 » 4 Jul 2011, 10:50pm

robc02 wrote:
I agree though, that we should perhaps be clearer about exactly what we might undertake; especially if participants come equipped with lightweight tyres.

you're right, perhaps just a note to say that less than 32s aren't really suitable...and wear long trousers if you're at all gay about nettles

i think i speak for a fair number of us, when i say that the mix of bridlepaths, gaspipes and 3 speeds took us back to the long summer holidays of our childhood in the 60s & 70s

more seriously, we're having a debate about very minor points. mosts cyclists that die at the hands of motorists do so on A roads. shredded tyres and nettle stings are nothing compared to mourning the passing of one of us

Well said Tim, though I did it all on 25s and I am gay about nettle stings :D
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes

steve browne

Postby steve browne » 4 Jul 2011, 11:02pm

I hope to bring a non-roadster to TCT3 (or autumn tourette?), it has lovely little lightweight tyres with no kevlar or knobbly tread as nothing else fits beneath the mudguards. Therefore, the type of off road that appeals is a dry, level, even surface covered with short grass . An alternative, preferably shorter, road route (with bonus pub) would be very welcome.
As there's only room for me to bring one bike I think knowing what the terrain will be like before setting off is a very useful bit of information to have.
How gradient averse are we? Are Wales and Devon unsuitable venues for TCTx, where x is greater than 3 but less than 30?

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 4 Jul 2011, 11:06pm

MikewsMITH2 wrote:I am gay about nettle stings :D

be warned................like everything else, nettles are tougher up north :twisted:

MikewsMITH2

Postby MikewsMITH2 » 4 Jul 2011, 11:11pm

be warned................like everything else, nettles are tougher up north

Sod the Kevlar tyres. I'm getting Kevlar jeans :evil:
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB

corshamjim

Postby corshamjim » 4 Jul 2011, 11:15pm

Mike, had you not arranged such diverse weather I would never have discovered the weird and wonderful exhibits at Poole museum, would not have sampled so many pints of good beer for the remainder of Sunday and would not have had such a lovely ride with everyone on the Saturday.

I'm following this debate about the nature of TCT with a healthy dose of bemusement because frankly I can't see how such a group of hub-gear fanatics as we, are ever likely to end up doing anything much differently - good thing too.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/

corshamjim

Postby corshamjim » 4 Jul 2011, 11:18pm

steve browne wrote:How gradient averse are we? Are Wales and Devon unsuitable venues for TCTx, where x is greater than 3 but less than 30?

Having spent a few days with the Pashley in Monmouthshire recently I'd say I'm not gradient-averse at all, so long as nobody minds if I happily walk up most of the hills. Wales and Devon are both in striking distance for me so I confess to a little bias here.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/

MikewsMITH2

Postby MikewsMITH2 » 4 Jul 2011, 11:57pm

How gradient averse are we? Are Wales and Devon unsuitable venues for TCTx, where x is greater than 3 but less than 30?[quote][/quote]

Having done some of Dorset's hillier bits on the Lenton, I think it's just a matter of a 21tooth cog and not minding a short walk now and again. Dunno about Porlock Hill though. Though apparently Harold Briercliffe did it but I believe hevused the cliff railway, like we would do :)
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB

AMC

Postby AMC » 5 Jul 2011, 12:04am

How gradient averse are we? Are Wales and Devon unsuitable venues for TCTx, where x is greater than 3 but less than 30?
I'd better get that 60T cog and some new knees in that case :wink:

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 5 Jul 2011, 6:40am

corshamjim wrote:I'm not gradient-averse at all, so long as nobody minds if I happily walk up most of the hills.

me too 8)

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 5 Jul 2011, 6:55am

hubgearfreak wrote:and as for michelin dynamics, they're great on tarmac but not much cop on the bridleways i imagine. get theesen some tour-rides, twin rails or even world tours :mrgreen:

If you can point me at any in 650A size, I'll buy 'em :roll:

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 5 Jul 2011, 7:23am

steve browne wrote:I hope to bring a non-roadster to TCT3 (or autumn tourette?), it has lovely little lightweight tyres with no kevlar or knobbly tread as nothing else fits beneath the mudguards. Therefore, the type of off road that appeals is a dry, level, even surface covered with short grass . An alternative, preferably shorter, road route (with bonus pub) would be very welcome.
As there's only room for me to bring one bike I think knowing what the terrain will be like before setting off is a very useful bit of information to have.

That's the whole point about re-defining what the TCT is and isn't. Lightweights aren't suitable for large chunks of what we're doing due to skinny wheels, thin-tubed tight-geometry frames etc, so you really need to have accurate terrain information in order to inform your decision on what bike to bring. I'm unhappy about off-roading on the Clubman, and much less the Bertrand that's current under restoration, but perfectly happy to take an old roadster on the rough stuff thanks to lazy frame angles and fatter low-pressure rubber hoops. But the point is, we are defining the ride as suitable for any machine, when it isn't. I'm unconcerned if the TCT develops into an all-terrain event if we're happy to exclude large swathes of bike types as I have several machines suited to off-road rides. But if you'd come on your lightweight and went home with a buckled wheel or cracked frame because I'd told you it was a suitable event, we'd both be pretty peed off.

steve browne wrote:How gradient averse are we? Are Wales and Devon unsuitable venues for TCTx, where x is greater than 3 but less than 30?

Wales and Devon are perfectly suitable for a TCT. I have lightweight machines that would fly up them hills :mrgreen: provided the uphill isn't on an old dried-out riverbed :wink:

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 5 Jul 2011, 7:32am

MikewsMITH2 wrote:Well I am leaving it all to Graham next time. Having been blamed for the Dorset weather penetrating Graham's leaky tent, the odd bit of gravel penetrating Graham's fragile tyres, and Graham being unable to keep up with an overweight, asthmatic 60 year old with a quarter of his heart not working and Graham Not getting enough cups of tea, I am feeling a bit paranoid.
Mike wot finks Graham is a bit grumpy about TCT2

Try the other end of the stick :wink:

Edwards

Postby Edwards » 5 Jul 2011, 9:13am

As somebody who has not taken part I think Graham has a very good point. Just describe what you intend to do so that somebody new knows what to expect.
It does not mean you have to change anything other than the description. Unless the volunteer who is organising the trip wants to. :D
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 5 Jul 2011, 5:31pm

GrahamNR17 wrote:If you can point me at any in 650A size, I'll buy 'em :roll:

if you must use an obscure size and refuse schwalbes, then these links may help - i hope they do.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=590+Wo ... 80&bih=885

http://emptybits.com/650a

if you do splash out on the Col de la Vies, please let me know before hand i could go halves on the shipping from the US, assuming 2 pairs cost less to post than 1 pair (584s for me though)