togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
hubgearfreak

togglechaintour bikes

Post by hubgearfreak »

right, as you all know, 11&12 september, there's going to be the togglchaintour

there's some obsessive geeks such as graham and i that are building bikes between now and then, perhaps there's even some well balanced people doing the same?

anyhow, here's a thread where we post pictures of what's going on with our builds, the suppliers we've used and hopefully share experiences and frustrations.

here's my starters.
a trgger & hubs collected from wanted ads in this very forum, cables/brake clamps from LBS and toggle chain guard from an ebay shop

i've got a couple of these rims coming from a shop in berlin

graham, as far as i can tell, is mating these together

hopefully, graham will elucidate and greybeard will also add what he's brewing up
hubgearfreak

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by hubgearfreak »

and dad's old raleigh. had i not got a bomber for my 13th birthday, i may have suspected that this was the heaviest thing to leave the nottingham works in 1982. it's a lovely ride, but the brakes are shocking. by shocking, i mean absent :lol:

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy »

I would have thought the forks and the front mudguard digging into the tarmac would have slowed you down quite well!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". Robert G. Ingersoll
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

My biggest issue isn't the bike, but the dog trailer for the bike. If I build a trailer big enough, I'd need a Harley Davidson to tug it along :shock:

Might leave some at home :oops:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Jamesy wrote:I would have thought the forks and the front mudguard digging into the tarmac would have slowed you down quite well!

:lol: I'm glad you said that, cos I was thinking it :lol:

Fabulous looking bike, a real beaut. I'm quite envious 8)
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

what you need is a trailer to take them all, but that can put you and your bike into and the dogs at the front when you're tired, or meet a hill. except, i suspect you don't see hills?
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:what you need is a trailer to take them all, but that can put you and your bike into and the dogs at the front when you're tired, or meet a hill. except, i suspect you don't see hills?

Hill? What's that then? Can you eat them? What colour are they? Who makes them?
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

GrahamNR17 wrote:My biggest issue isn't the bike, but the dog trailer for the bike.

The chap I got my Pedersen from used to tow a two-wheeled trailer with it for his dog to sit in. He found that he was getting less than 300 miles from a pair of tyres. Not due to any problems with the geometry, but his dog's habit of continually moving from side to side in the trailer as he travelled along - well, it was a spaniel :roll:

I'll be adding some pics of the Pedersen in the next week or two - I'm collecting the frame from the powder coater's tomorrow :P I know that some of you folk said I should keep it in that bright blue, but it really wasn't for me. It will now be a more aristocratic dark green :wink:
I've now got all the parts back for the 1909 Rover that have been away for nickel plating - probably another 2-3 months work involved to get the rest of it sorted out.

Steve
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

I'm officially jealous now! You get your frame back tomorrow, and mine is three weeks overdue :shock:

I do agree, dark green on that Pedersen will be ten times more appropriate. Light blue looks too modern. Mine will be BRG, but I'm now wishing I'd gone for Brunswick. Well, assuming they didn't ebay it :?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I feel really left out now :( as I gave my one and only roadster to Hubbers :|

However there is hope http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BEAUTIFUL-DUTCH-T ... 3caa5522fb

But I don't think Mrs R2 will allow another tandem into the fold :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

GrahamNR17 wrote:I'm officially jealous now! You get your frame back tomorrow, and mine is three weeks overdue

Don't be too jealous, Graham. Needless to say it wasn't ready. So unless it is finished by next Friday and it is an extremely good job, he's blown any chance of further work from me :evil:
Why does it seem that an increasing number of people fail to deliver what they've promised? You'd imagine that folk would be glad of the work in the current climate. Generally, I never give businesses a second chance if they can't stick to arrangements without very good reason, so he's lucky to still have the opportunity of earning some cash out of me. If only the alternatives weren't so far away.....
Grumble over - today's foul weather hasn't helped either :( Hope it improves soon :roll:

Steve
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

not recommended then steve?

graham, my hub, like yours i imagine, has been sat around doing nothing for a couple of decades, so the grease will be dried up. will just a disasseble, clean and regrease do, or do you know anthing about converting it to an oiled hub? i recall rogerzilla making a greased hub take oil, do you know what bits you'd need, or anything about this conversion? are you converting yours? have you considered it??

i've ridden a gazelle with hubs like mine at the york show last summer, and even though it hadn't even been worn in, the brakes are a delight.....if on that particular bike, rod operated :shock:

my 24 tooth sprocket arrived today, so, with a 48 front on 40-635 tyres, that'll give me 42.56&75. a nice spread for tootling the flatlands around these parts, with a reasonable chance of tackling the infamous headwinds. but i'll be pushing it up the hill...and for those that live in NR17, this is what they look like :lol:

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hubgearfreak wrote:not recommended then steve?

graham, my hub, like yours i imagine, has been sat around doing nothing for a couple of decades, so the grease will be dried up. will just a disasseble, clean and regrease do, or do you know anthing about converting it to an oiled hub? i recall rogerzilla making a greased hub take oil, do you know what bits you'd need, or anything about this conversion? are you converting yours? have you considered it??

i've ridden a gazelle with hubs like mine at the york show last summer, and even though it hadn't even been worn in, the brakes are a delight.....if on that particular bike, rod operated :shock:

my 24 tooth sprocket arrived today, so, with a 48 front on 40-635 tyres, that'll give me 42.56&75. a nice spread for tootling the flatlands around these parts, with a reasonable chance of tackling the infamous headwinds. but i'll be pushing it up the hill...and for those that live in NR17, this is what they look like :lol:

I wouldn't fancy toying with that hill :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:not recommended then steve?

Haven't yet decided on oil versus grease. The hubs we have are the same internally as the oilers so the springs are pretty weak and Sturmey's early greasers used a fairly thin grease. I have toyed with converting the internals to a modern job, they have very strong springs (at one end) so thick really sticky grease can be used. Either way it's a simply a job of drilling the hole though and sourcing some plastic push-in caps. That said, the hub shells are pretty tough things to drill though. I'm trialling PTFE tape round the ball ring thread at the moment and using different grease to create the oil seal around the wheel axle bearing retainers. if I can get down to a few drips per day, then I'll defo be going with oil, cos I like to squirt stuff in my bike occasionally, makes me feel more involved :lol: The happiest hub at the TCT will be MikeSMITH's - he's a lucky bugger that one... his hub now has brand-spanking-new internals from a two year old unused AW NIG hub, the one with the totally redesigned clutch assembly and a circlip-type spring round the planet cage pawls. He'll be lucky if he needs to re-lube every DECADE with the sticky grease that bugger can cope with (sorry Mike, I know you ideally wanted oil, but trust me, this set up is SWEEEEEEET!) Si has the half-way house, an early Nottingham greaser. Still can't decide which is best, but on balance, I think it's 50-50 - not that I'm still on the fence or nothing :roll:

Oh, hill, right, so like a tipped-up road then?

Crikey, who'd want to tip a road up?

Ah, of course, drainage 8)
random37

Post by random37 »

I will be using these hubs, a SRAM torpedo 3 speed and a Sachs vt5000:

Not decided which frame they'll be in yet. I was thinking of a road frame I'm going to go and collect at some point, but I quite like the idea of a mountain bike now. As for rims, I shall have either some Rigida westwoods like Hubgearfreak's (only mine are leftovers from about 1968) or a pair of Van Schotthorst MTB sized ones.

Of course, if I have finished the Clubman, I shall take that, if a 4 speed bike with narrow tyres isn't too racy. But I don't want to cut corners on its restoration, and I don't have that much spare cash at the moment so don't expect to see it.