togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
GrahamNR17

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by GrahamNR17 »

corshamjim wrote:So I'll be quite relieved legitimately to use the new forum and leave this one to the bona-fide CTC members.

I shall be using both :wink:

The CTC forum is much much wider-ranging than ours, and covers topics I hadn't even realised I wanted to discuss :shock: But that's no surprise given the CTCs admirable mission.

The Toggle Chain Tour forum is there due to the success of this thread. At over 300 pages and damn-near 5,000 posts, it's really hard to find and pick out the information you need. The TCT forum just kind of breaks down what we've been discussing here in to sub-topics that are easier to navigate and extract the gems of information. Despite Hubber's best efforts, he's yet to convince anyone to create an index of this thread :lol: and believe me, he's tried to sell the idea to many unsuspecting passers-by :lol:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

GrahamNR17 wrote:At over 300 pages and damn-near 5,000 posts, it's really hard to find and pick out the information you need. Despite Hubber's best efforts, he's yet to convince anyone to create an index of this thread :lol: and believe me, he's tried to sell the idea to many unsuspecting passers-by :lol:

you're right, there's some gems of tech. help upthread, some priceless taking of the mick and some lovely photos amongst other things. but it's almost impossible to find any of it.

you're not volunteering to index it are you graham?? :lol:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

corshamjim wrote:I let my CTC membership lapse and joined BC instead (for the 3rd party insurance, there's not a lot else that membership of BC benefits me).

does it have help from solicitors aswell as 3rd party cover? do you not miss reading 'cycle' :P
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

I'm sorry but I don't miss 'cycle' magazine at all. :roll: I do have a subscription to Velo Vision though. :D

The BC membership includes legal help in the event of an accident and 3rd party cover, yes.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
HPFlashman

Post by HPFlashman »

Wandered into this tread on Saturday evening (somewhat, a sadly statement.) and have just finished browsing all three hundred and twenty three pages (that may be even sadder).

Would just like to compliment you fellows for an interesting and humorous tread, and for reminding me of the days of youth, where running my first geared bike, a 19" DBS Golden Beam with a SA 3 speed (Norways largest bikemaker) hub, completed with panniers and a triangular, mechanical speedometer, made for serious travelling possibilities and fascinating speed records, which concluded at one point in a roadrash from my right ankle to the right side of my face. :mrgreen:

Not having any TCT bikes as of now, but I do have several Primus 111`s, a couple of german brass housed binoculars a Rollei 35 camera and a liking for tweed...

Anyhow - off to register on the dedicated TCT forum. :wink:
Best regards

Harry
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

HPFlashman wrote:have just finished browsing all three hundred and twenty three pages

Sir as you are the one person with the most current knowledge of this thread and the whereabouts of the technical stuff. Would it be possible that you could find some time to do some sort of index as to where others can find the information.
This would be such a help to your fellow forum users, especially as Hubbers has not managed to con anybody else yet.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
HPFlashman

Post by HPFlashman »

I may have some slightly eccentric tastes, but I`m some steps away from the bedlam... :mrgreen:
Best regards

Harry
geargirl

Post by geargirl »

HPFlashman wrote:Wandered into this tread on Saturday evening (somewhat, a sadly statement.) and have just finished browsing all three hundred and twenty three pages (that may be even sadder).

Would just like to compliment you fellows for an interesting and humorous tread, and for reminding me of the days of youth, where running my first geared bike, a 19" DBS Golden Beam with a SA 3 speed (Norways largest bikemaker) hub, completed with panniers and a triangular, mechanical speedometer, made for serious travelling possibilities and fascinating speed records, which concluded at one point in a roadrash from my right ankle to the right side of my face. :mrgreen:

Not having any TCT bikes as of now, but I do have several Primus 111`s, a couple of german brass housed binoculars a Rollei 35 camera and a liking for tweed...

Anyhow - off to register on the dedicated TCT forum. :wink:

Hi Harry, First-time poster. and I read the above quote with piqued interest. I own a DBS 5-speed Golden Beam as well (ladies frame) and I love it. I've been searching the interwebs for quite some time now, trying to locate an authentic saddle for it. The previous owner changed out the nice, white leather original sprung seat with a more modern padded one, and I long to bring the original seat back to the Beam. Any leads or suggestions as to where I might find one, even if it's located in Norway, would be much appreciated. Thanks so much og har det godt!

geargirl
HPFlashman

Post by HPFlashman »

Hi Geargirl

You may try a mail to this fellow: Einar Bowitz, post at denrustneeike.no .

He runs a shop called "Den rustne Eike" or "The rusty spoke" in English. He has something like around 20 tons of parts for older Norwegian bikes, and should possible be able to get you sorted. :D

http://www.denrustneeike.no/, for the homepage, but sadly only in Norwegian.
Best regards

Harry
geargirl

Post by geargirl »

Hi Harry,

Thank you so much! You know, I found his website some months ago, after having read an article about him and his shop. I haven't attempted contact yet, but I think this might be a sign that I need to check in with him. I lived in Kristiansand for 2 years and speak Norwegian, saa er det ikke noe problem. ;)

Thanks again!( Someday I hope to locate a Kombi, and he might also be helpful with that project.)
HPFlashman

Post by HPFlashman »

Splendid stuff, give me a signal if I can assist in any way, from over here.

The large wheeled Kombi is what I learnt to ride on, a splendid bike in all possible sort of ways. :D
Best regards

Harry
geargirl

Post by geargirl »

Very good, and will do. Yes, I do love the Kombis as well, and hope to pick up a 20" folder some day. I appreciate your offer of assistance. :) One of these days, perhaps I'll post some photos of some of my 2-wheeled lovelies, which includes a 1963 Viking, 1930s Gripen (Sweden), 1940s Rudge and some other classics.

And on a "culinary" note, I had my first lutefisk of the season yesterday at a local, annual lutefisk feed. It was delicious!

Thanks again!
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

geargirl wrote: One of these days, perhaps I'll post some photos of some of my 2-wheeled lovelies

please do 8)
lobsterlee

Post by lobsterlee »

littleman wrote:Again a small update........

Really just a post to say I'm still enjoying this and I'm now ready to go out with genuine intent - hence my recent investment in a little bit bit of stowage......

Firstly a shot from the front featuring the Zip-Roll. Handsome and very handy.............

And then around the back a Barley. Nicely balanced and Worthwhile................

And then from a above [best I can manage] to give a fuller idea of the layout............

Personally I think they work well together - look decidedly handsome, compliment the character of the bike and will be a very useful addition for my particular needs.

Hope you agree? - Wouldn't like to have made some kind of style faux-par? Although I've pretty much resigned myself to ploughing my own furrow - such as it is.

PS............. Still riding - keeping it realistic, but enjoying it tremendously ........... sit-bones are a lot happier!

PPS .......... The colours harmonize a lot better in the flesh - the flash is distorting them a bit - but perhaps I'm the only one to fret about such stuff????

OH! - and PPPS .......... bags were made by Sue and Janet respectively ................. thanks girls.

Moring all,

First post on here as a newbie... I would just like to thank littleman for uploading the above pictures as they have inspired!, yes inspired me to get back out into the open and feel the fumes (until I hit the countryside) in my lungs...

Having stumbled across Pashley last year (I know) whilst looking for a bike for my wife, we were both smitten with their looks, quality & the whole nostalgia that surounds the brand... Anyway, we plumped for the Princess Sovereign and she loves it... this year it was my turn... after browsing Pashley's brochure, the Parabike was my initial choice. Some more online research lead me here... and with the Barley & zip roll attached, the choice was confirmed.

Now I have the Parabike & I love it, just about to order the said bags but have one maybe daft question... on littlemans para, the Barley appears to be away from the seat post (no joke intended) but I can not see any bracket from the pics.... I know they do a bagman sport! from Carradice but my questions are, was one used littlemans bike (I must admit I am unsure if the bagman will even fit the Brooks seat) or was another type of bracket used?

Many thanks again...

Lee 5' 7+1/2"
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

Welcome to the Pashley Parabike/Paramount owners club!

The problem with fitting the Bagman Sport to a sprung saddle like this one, is that the saddle is quite deep (the rails are quite a long way below the seat). This means that if you attach the Bagman Sport to the rails of the saddle, it will be so low slung, the saddlebag won't fit above the rear wheel - especially if you are not especially tall (I think I'm about the same height as you are, Lee). If I recall another problem is likely that there isn't enough rail rearward of the seatpost to fit the Bagman to. On a non-sprung saddle there are no springs at the rear end of the rail so more space left over to fit the Bagman.

It looks to me like littleman here has cleverly fitted a second, small seat-post mounted bag in front of the saddlebag to push it to the aesthetically 'right' position (maybe he'll be along shortly to confirm).

Some people put a piece of that plastic card that estate-agents signs are made of in the bottom of the bag to give it more shape. Mine is normally so full of waterproofs, lunch, tools and other clobber it keeps its shape nicely anyway.

Personally I have a standard rack on my Paramount, which doesn't look so neat but is useful from time to time for carrying larger loads and supports the bag quite well of course.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/