togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
MikewsMITH2

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

GrahamNR17 wrote:
MikewsMITH2 wrote:I hated my 5 speed. there was so much friction in 1st there was little advantage over 2nd like pedalling through treacle.

To be fair, you had it fitted to a Moulton. The AW three-speed felt equally treacle-like on my Moulton. Two hubs can't be wrong; the bike with all that soft rubber stopping power transfer was the problem.

The similar 5-speed on my Pa... is fine, nothing treacly about it.

True I haven't tried one on a conventional bike, but the FW felt fine. Then again when Iwas using the FW the rear suspension was seized. As you are riding with tyres made from vulcanised treacle anyway. How would you notice?
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

GrahamNR17 wrote:The similar 5-speed on my Pa... is fine, nothing treacly about it.

the 5-speed also works beautifully on an old galaxy, good enough for 112miles in a day anyhow 8)
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

hubgearfreak wrote:[quote="GrahamNR17" good enough for 112miles in a day anyhow 8)

So was the AW ----------- and it was running on a pair of Schwalbe 26 x 1 1/4 too :wink:

Steve
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Greybeard wrote: and it was running on a pair of Schwalbe 26 x 1 1/4 too :wink:

and with quite a load, might i add :P
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Rob why such big tyres on your tour we only run 32 mm on our tandem.?

'cos they were £9.99 each from Chainreaction and they would fit the frame. Very cheap for Marathon Racers (not what I was going to buy - but the price did it). The tour route was also going to use some bridlepaths so I thought the extra width would be handy, oh - and they were cheap. :)

The frame originally had clearance for 28mm and mudguards, so I had to apply pressure to create the necessary width between the chainstays, and heat, brass and steel to the front dropouts to create vertical clearance :twisted: . I did this initially to fit my Marathon Winter tyres which are also 35mm.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I paid a visit to Coventry transport museum during the week. As you will all know, Coventry was a major centre for cycle manufacture and the museum has quite a good collection of old bicycles, including several shaft driven models.

Well worth a visit if you are in the area.
littleman

Post by littleman »

Again a small update........

Really just a post to say I'm still enjoying this and I'm now ready to go out with genuine intent - hence my recent investment in a little bit bit of stowage......

Firstly a shot from the front featuring the Zip-Roll. Handsome and very handy.............

And then around the back a Barley. Nicely balanced and Worthwhile................

And then from a above [best I can manage] to give a fuller idea of the layout............

Personally I think they work well together - look decidedly handsome, compliment the character of the bike and will be a very useful addition for my particular needs.

Hope you agree? - Wouldn't like to have made some kind of style faux-par? Although I've pretty much resigned myself to ploughing my own furrow - such as it is.

PS............. Still riding - keeping it realistic, but enjoying it tremendously ........... sit-bones are a lot happier!

PPS .......... The colours harmonize a lot better in the flesh - the flash is distorting them a bit - but perhaps I'm the only one to fret about such stuff????

OH! - and PPPS .......... bags were made by Sue and Janet respectively ................. thanks girls.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

littleman wrote:Personally I think they work well together

yep, looks perfect :mrgreen:
Roadstersrevenge

Post by Roadstersrevenge »

Littleman, that looks gorgeous, I'm almost converted. I'm another huge fan of Carradice, I only have the one though sadly.

On a separate note, I dont suppose it was one of you lot that snaffled this from under my nose?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190574892255? ... 500wt_1156

If so, I'd love a photocopy/scan please!
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Littleman that looks bang on to me. I can't understand why saddlebags went out of fashion. I use mine all the time :mrgreen:
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

MikewsMITH2 wrote:I can't understand why saddlebags went out of fashion.

i didn't realise they did ? :shock:

in any event, they're de rigueur amongst toggler types - unless you've got wicker or wire work :wink:
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

hubgearfreak wrote:
MikewsMITH2 wrote:I can't understand why saddlebags went out of fashion.

i didn't realise they did ? :shock:
:

Well I suppose not for those still living in the golden days
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

Those Carradice bags look just like they belong on that bike. I especially like the front one.

I can't help thinking you ought to have some hand-grenades hanging off the D-rings of the rear one though. :D
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I dont suppose it was one of you lot that snaffled this from under my nose?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190574892255? ... 500wt_1156

If so, I'd love a photocopy/scan please!

One or two of us have managed to dismantle Raleigh/Humber locks without keys. In my case it took several - no, many :x - attempts to get the plunger, spring and ball bearing back into the frame. I would love to see Raleigh's recommendations. If you manage to get a copy would you please pass one to me?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

i've just spoke to greybeard on the phone, and we'd like to propose Newark as next year's TCT, in sept, the w/e immediately after kids are back in school

it's got flattish countryside. it's almost the centre of the country - well served both by rail and road. we've already got a 40 mile ride sorted out & well tested for the saturday (with ice cream parlour), and can both easily get there before to work out other routes, where to drink, where to eat and where to camp.

does this sound OK to all who are likely to attend?