togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
GrahamNR17

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by GrahamNR17 »

robc02 wrote:While we're talking about plans for TCT2, has anyone any suggestions for a not-too-congested route from the Midlands on a Friday afternoon?

Yes, travel before 7am, and pull over and wait until after 9am :wink: if you travel int he afternoon on motorways from there you are asking for a very late night tent pitching :shock:

I'm going round the M25 at about 5am on the Friday morning so I can get to my pitstop in Ascot for breakfast and visit a friend for a few hours. Then I just have the M3 and a bit of M27 to contend with at my leisure. In the unlikely event I get to Poole on or ahead of schedule, I might go and hassle Mike for a cuppa :mrgreen:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

robc02 wrote:Softy :!: This will be my residence for the weekend. Plenty of room for one and a bowl of meusli 8)

Crikey, who knew they did Jiffy bags that big :shock:
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

Here's my trailer complete with luxury accommodation on board. 8)

ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

corshamjim wrote:Here's my trailer complete with luxury accommodation on board. 8)

Oh, Graham'd be able to lie down in there, easy. Can he use it once you've got your gear out? :roll:

Just got home after a good day - not cycling but on the Humber Keel. Boat Safety Certificate examination time again - and the old girl passed without a hiccup :P So I'll be able to fulfill this year's bookings and stop worrying about it. I had been wondering how the change in rules and regulations, which now leads to her being regarded as a commercial vessel rather than a pleasure vessel would affect her. Anyway, all the work I and the crew have done has paid off.
If it stops raining, I may celebrate with a bike ride later.

Steve (who has far too many toys to play with :roll: )
http://www.humberships.org.uk/
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Greybeard wrote:
corshamjim wrote:Here's my trailer complete with luxury accommodation on board. 8)

Oh, Graham'd be able to lie down in there, easy. Can he use it once you've got your gear out? :roll:

Image Image Image
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

I'm so taken with that bike :shock: Love it 8)
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

I need another project like I need a hole in the head.

Here's "Emily", an approximately 1924 (going from the frame number) Raleigh Popular. She was once glossy black with mint-green box lining everywhere. Alas some b*****d marinated it in thick black tar-like paint. Everywhere. I mean everywhere. Not one part isn't millimetres thick in the bloody stuff.

Mudguards and frame are now down to bear metal and I think she shall live again, quite soon (though not TCT2 soon).

I like her. All the bearing surfaces have survived intact and are wear-free. The original chain can be re-used. ALL the nuts and bolts came out :D as did the cotter pins :shock:

Once she's finished, she's going to live elsewhere (cos she's a Raleigh, obviously) 8)

corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Alas some b*****d marinated it in thick black tar-like paint. Everywhere. I mean everywhere. Not one part isn't millimetres thick in the bloody stuff.

Sounds like what my mum did with my old (blue) tri-ang tricyle. :cry: Except the paint was muddy brown. Same paint went on the scooter and the kitchen steps iirc.
Roadstersrevenge

Post by Roadstersrevenge »

in some ways, it's not bad thing that it has been stewed in that stuff. It's probably kept it alive over the years.

Oddly enough, I'm working on the men's version - 1924 (according to the frame number) - 28" wheels, pin-striping was gold though I think, it is now at any rate.
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

My lovely new 3-speed hub started playing up today - slipping a bit and not engaging smoothly in 2nd gear. I'm hoping it's just the cable adjustment - it took me three tries to get it adjusted so it worked sweetly again for the last mile or so of my commute home this evening. I'll have to see how it goes over the next few days. It doesn't feel quite as bad as the problem I had with the 5-speed thankfully. :) The cable and shifter seem fine (both new too).

I guess towing a trailer up Welsh hills might not have done the hub much good. :roll: How roughly should I be able to treat it?
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I guess towing a trailer up Welsh hills might not have done the hub much good. How roughly should I be able to treat it?

It should withstand that- I hope :shock: I plan to go camping in Wales on a 5 speed SA drum braked bike this summer - a broken hub would seriously dent any credibility I might have mustered. :oops:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

corshamjim wrote:My lovely new 3-speed hub started playing up today - slipping a bit and not engaging smoothly in 2nd gear. I'm hoping it's just the cable adjustment - it took me three tries to get it adjusted so it worked sweetly again for the last mile or so of my commute home this evening. I'll have to see how it goes over the next few days. It doesn't feel quite as bad as the problem I had with the 5-speed thankfully. :) The cable and shifter seem fine (both new too).

I guess towing a trailer up Welsh hills might not have done the hub much good. :roll: How roughly should I be able to treat it?

Probably the cable stretching a bit. Where was the indicator rod when in second gear? A quick look will have told you whether cable stretch was the issue :wink:
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

Thanks Graham. The cable was indeed stretched this morning .. then I tightened it so the collar of the indicator rod was level with the axle end in gear 2, but it was still rather dodgy in 2nd and sometimes seemed to only give 1st and 3rd. I adjusted it slightly a couple of times on the way home and it seemed to be behaving ok for the last mile or so, so I'm just hoping it stays that way!

I noticed the cable end is slightly frayed so I also wonder if it wasn't tightened up as much as it should. If it suddenly 'stretches' again I think I'll know the answer to that one! :)
AMC

Post by AMC »

I guess towing a trailer up Welsh hills might not have done the hub much good. :roll:
I plan to go camping in Wales on a 5 speed SA drum braked bike this summer
3 speed? 5 speed? In Wales? Are you all mad?
Here's "Emily", an approximately 1924 (going from the frame number) Raleigh Popular
Ah, Emily. She is lovely. Sigh :wink:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

robc02 wrote:Softy :!: This will be my residence for the weekend. Plenty of room for one and a bowl of meusli 8)

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to ensure that when you pour the milk onto your rabbit food it doesn't come out of the bottle like runny cottage cheese?

I've been looking at those 12v electric coolbox wotsits, but they appear to draw so much power that I'd need a forklift battery to run it for the weekend :?