togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Greybeard

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by Greybeard »

hubgearfreak wrote:if it wasn't for those three words, you'd have PMed him :P

as would I :twisted:

You could well be right, hubs :oops: I reckon we're all well beyond a cure now :roll:
Steve
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

My skills are leadership and managerial. :D
This means that my only skill is knowing who can do something and getting them to do it and then taking the credit. :P I'm incapable of doing anything myself. My genius is knowing who to go to to get something done and using flattery and other means to get them to do it. :twisted:
"James, you really have an awful lot more to contribute, you know. I'm sure if you did this in your spare time it would stand you in good stead in future and it would probably justify an honorarium", says he knowing that honorariums have been withdrawn. :mrgreen:
Leadership is getting people to do things they don't want to do and in my past career I think I've been rather good at it. :wink:
Of course to be a good delegator one must not take on work oneself or else you will have no time to delegate. :wink:
jonty
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Greybeard wrote:I reckon we're all well beyond a cure now :roll:

yep, doomed :lol:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:
Greybeard wrote:I reckon we're all well beyond a cure now :roll:

yep, doomed :lol:

I'm not. I can resist. No, really, I can 8)

Graham wots in the resistance :wink:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

in physics the denser the fluid, the greater the resistance

so i can easily believe it :mrgreen:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

The TCT site will be offline for a few hours today while I change an ailing hard disk :?
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Is anyone interested in a pair of 28 x 1 1/2 inch Barum tan-walled tyres? They're the ones I took off the Lady's Pedersen. See page 199. Tread looks unused but there is some minor cracking to the side walls - nowt structural and barely visible unless you're up close. Seems a pity to bin 'em, so if a fellow toggler wants 'em for the price of the postage, (I'd be guessing around a fiver but who knows?) drop me a line.

Steve
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

This years TCT already has 11 bookings, 10 firm and 1 tentative. At this rate we'll have at least twice as many as last year :shock:
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

My hub started sticking in low gear a few months ago, but recently it's got to the point where I need to do something about it. So .. gulp .. I'm going to have a go at servicing it. :shock:

Many thanks Graham for your instructive videos on the TCT site. I'm in the process of ordering some grease from oldbiketrader and a spare gear cable in case it's just that sticking.

Wish me luck! :D
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

corshamjim wrote:My hub started sticking in low gear a few months ago, but recently it's got to the point where I need to do something about it. So .. gulp .. I'm going to have a go at servicing it. :shock:

Many thanks Graham for your instructive videos on the TCT site. I'm in the process of ordering some grease from oldbiketrader and a spare gear cable in case it's just that sticking.

Wish me luck! :D

Good luck :mrgreen:

Don't forget to get some lube down the cable outer if you use a long one, it'll keep it nice and slidey for a few years :D Watch for kinks too :wink:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

corshamjim wrote: So .. gulp .. I'm going to have a go at servicing it. :shock:

good luck jim. whilst graham's videos are excellent, it's well worth printing this off and reading it a few times (slowly and until it's actually sunk in :wink: ) and having it stuck to the wall/door of the shed

http://www.hadland.me.uk/aw.pdf

if it's not a common AW, other hub's instructions are available....

http://www.hadland.me.uk/samaintind.htm
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

Thanks. I'll give the cable a good going over before delving in to the innards.

I have the XL-RD5(W) modern hub, so I don't think it features on Tony Hadland's pages. I've had a good look at the exploded diagram for the XL-RD5(W) ( at http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/ ... /33/tech/1 ) and guess it's similar enough to the AW that I will at least be able to put it back together again the way I found it! I read somewhere (please correct me if I'm wrong) that it's quite different to the older SA 5-speeds so I won't confuse myself by reading the instructions for those.

I was tempted simply to buy a whole new 'innards' but can't see that anyone in the UK stocks them. Anyway, it would be cheating! :roll:
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

This years TCT already has 11 bookings, 10 firm and 1 tentative. At this rate we'll have at least twice as many as last year :shock:

Plus me and Will :D
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

MikewsMITH2 wrote:

Plus me and Will :D

Oh yeah course... 12½ bookings :mrgreen:
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Oh yeah course... 12½ bookings :mrgreen:

Well I know I've lost a bit of weight but half?
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes