togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Greybeard

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by Greybeard »

I thought I'd offer first dibs to togglers, so here goes. I really need to have a look at thinning out the number of bikes I have. Is there a toggler out there that might be interested in -

A 1933 gent's Raleigh - K3 hub, all original (worn/aged, but still presentable) finish (bell not included). New Schwalbe Delta Cruiser tyres. A thouroughly useable machine - longest run has been around 40-50 miles.

A 1950's two owners from new, fully restored/rechromed, immaculate, better than new Rudge roadster. 4-speed dyno hub with battery tube (though I've never got around to wiring them up since the restoration - the dyno is in working order), stainless rims/spokes etc etc. Yes, this is the bike that appeared at the 2010 TCT. It's a reluctant sale, in part due to the cost of restoration and the time I spent on it.

I'd be looking for £150 for the Raleigh (still scope for a bit of profit there :wink: ) and offers of at least £400 for the Rudge (I know it's a lot, but nearly £300 of that was for the rechroming :roll: )

The reason for choosing these two is that they are the ones I use least - they are perhaps a touch too modern :shock: and both 24 inch frames but fairly short in the top-tube as befits a roadster, so they are really a little on the small side for me (6ft) but I suppose it all depends on what your used to. The really oldies that I ride are 26 inchers.
If anyone is seriously interested drop me a pm.

Steve (wot just knows he's gonna regret pressing the 'submit' button any second now :?)
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Both a bit modern for my increasingly discerning tastes, but I'd have took the Raleigh had I not allocated the garage space to the Sunbeam. If you get really stuck and nobody else takes it, I'll have it to stand next to the Sunbeam to demonstrate why Sunbeam's cost so much more 8)

Seriously, I'll go second reserve if nobody else steps forward :mrgreen:

Graham, wots good like that :roll:
Roadstersrevenge

Post by Roadstersrevenge »

I *wish* I could have the Rudge, but finances are non-existent at the moment, let alone tight.

Hope it goes to a deserving home.. :cry:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Yay! I won't be sleeping in a tent this year :mrgreen:

I'll be rattling round in a great big beige foldy-uppy thing with THREE double beds and running water and gas and heating and electric an' stuff. I might choose a different DOUBLE bed each night, jus' cos I can :mrgreen:

Graham, wot won't be sleepin' in a freezin' cold DL Envelope this year :mrgreen:
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

Graham, whoever told you the Koga Chela has three double beds must've seen you coming!

http://www.koga.com/us/bike.asp?id=8625300 :lol:
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

corshamjim wrote:Graham, whoever told you the Koga Chela has three double beds must've seen you coming!

http://www.koga.com/us/bike.asp?id=8625300 :lol:

:shock: Not even in jest after the sleepless TCT I had last year :shock:
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

Seeing as I'm making a hobby of changing hub gear internals, can someone please confirm if this tool is the one I need so as not to have to use a hammer & punch to get the gubbins out & back in again from the hub shell?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sturmey-arch ... s-prod2805

I'm hoping to get my time for whipping the back wheel off, swapping the gubbins and getting back on the road again to under 90 seconds if I can. :D
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Yes, that is the correct tool. I have several. You will still need your hammer and punch :wink:
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

Many thanks Graham. I think I'll save my pennies for now then.

I'm going to put a smaller sprocket on the hub (currently I have 44t front, 22t rear) which will hopefully help me not to wreck the new internals.
random37

Post by random37 »

I have been reading the TCT email. And next week I will be off to see Hubbers!

How exciting! :D
robc02

Post by robc02 »

corshamjim wrote:Seeing as I'm making a hobby of changing hub gear internals, can someone please confirm if this tool is the one I need so as not to have to use a hammer & punch to get the gubbins out & back in again from the hub shell?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sturmey-arch ... s-prod2805

I'm hoping to get my time for whipping the back wheel off, swapping the gubbins and getting back on the road again to under 90 seconds if I can. :D

You could take it and a spare internal on all your trips :idea: - you could have an AW for hillier terrain and an AM for the flatter stuff. Just stop and quickly swap 'em over as needed. :)
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

I could take a spare bicycle in the trailer too! :D Anyway .. I'm off home now to have a look at the borked internals. SJSC have despatched the new one but I don't suppose it will arrive now until Monday.

[later edit] Phew! I disassembled, inspected and reassembled the hub without incident. I didn't attempt to take every tiniest part apart, but all the pawls, springs and gears all seemed to be doing what they should. I took the bike for a quick spin and found the same gear-selection problem. I'm sorry Graham - you were almost certainly right - I found that loosening off the gear cable a tiny bit from what I thought was 'right' seemed to cure that. Only time will tell if the occasional skipping problem is fixed too, but somehow I think it probably will be. :oops:

I'm happy anyway - it's great to know my heaving of trailer up Welsh hills didn't wreck the internals so I can confidently head off to TCT now (not literally 'now' of course). The new hub arrives on Monday so I'll bring that with me just in case. :D
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

mark barker wrote:I'd happily join a wheel building course if they need people to make up numbers.....

if you're near enough to spend a day in lincoln, i'll show thee for a few ales 8)
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Greybeard wrote:I'm getting my Galaxy packed and ready for my solo Way of the Roses ride next Monday - hopefully it'll go better than today did :?

hopefully, you've spent up your run of bad luck on the 29er and the holiday's a real relaxing and enjoyable juant. have a good crossing :D
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

The foldy-uppy thing with the big beds is too big. Just got back from collecting it. I can't get it down the driveway, cos I mis-measured it by a whole foot :oops: I'll flip it ASAP while there's still a holiday season :oops:

Graham, wot measured once and bid twice and wots a twonk :oops: