togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
GrahamNR17

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by GrahamNR17 »

MikewsMITH2 wrote:I can't do 3/4 taking Will back to Aber

You're driving to Wales - and back - to save Will a walk to the station? :roll:
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

some pictures from Carolin's mobile:
P110611_10.jpg

P110611_11.jpg

P110611_14.jpg
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

P110611_16.jpg

P110611_20.jpg

P120611_10.jpg
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

P110611_11.jpg

P110611_14.jpg
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

You're driving to Wales - and back - to save Will a walk to the station? :roll:

Well more accurately all his (considerable) goods and chattels. He is renting a flat for the next academic year.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Had my first go on a Brompton today, fitted with a Sturmey AW :D

What's all the fuss about? It was horrible :shock:

Graham, wots a bit miffed that reality ain't like the legend :(
(a bit like 'is Moulton F-frame) :oops:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

GrahamNR17 wrote:What's all the fuss about? It was horrible :shock:

that's what i thought too. steve's green R20 shrek rides better. infact, a standard, unfettled original R20 rides better. just be glad it wasn't you that bought it with your own money - although that was never going to happen was it :mrgreen:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:What's all the fuss about? It was horrible :shock:

that's what i thought too. steve's green R20 shrek rides better. infact, a standard, unfettled original R20 rides better. just be glad it wasn't you that bought it with your own money - although that was never going to happen was it :mrgreen:

I was riding it with a view to buying it :shock: Thank gawd for test rides - phew :|
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

GrahamNR17 wrote:I was riding it with a view to buying it :shock: Thank gawd for test rides - phew :|

Swallow that pride and have a go on Shrek - it could be much cheaper than a briefcase trolley :wink:
Steve
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Greybeard wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:I was riding it with a view to buying it :shock: Thank gawd for test rides - phew :|

Swallow that pride and have a go on Shrek - it could be much cheaper than a briefcase trolley :wink:
Steve

I have house room for more bikes, as in bicycles. I have no house room for a R20, or any other kind of wheeled anvil :evil:
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Had my first go on a Brompton today, fitted with a Sturmey AW :D

I think you have to view them from a portability, rather than a rideability, point of view. If you don't need a bike that folds down small, there's no point in getting a Brompton. If you do then it's ride is acceptable and it all seems worthwhile when you get on a rush hour Tube with your bike. :D

I love mine. But that may because when I use it, I can nearly half the time of my bike only or public transport only commutes. 8)

You're absolutely right that there's no comparison with a Moulton though - but the IMO no other bike I've ridden rides like a Moulton.

An R20 folder is always handy when you need a bike that takes up more space folded than when not :twisted: I'm not sure I can see the point of a non folding R20 at all when you can have an F frame Moulton instead. :D
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

spark303 wrote:I'm not sure I can see the point of a non folding R20 at all when you can have an F frame Moulton instead. :D

is it because they're cheaper and ride better? :P
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

hubgearfreak wrote:is it because they're cheaper :P

I suppose you can get a R20 a bit cheaper than an F frame Moulton and I forgot that some people are are quite happy with any old BSO as long as it's cheap :P

hubgearfreak wrote: and ride better? :P

Bwaa, ha, ha, ha, ha! *checks calendar to see if it's 1st April* :D
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:
spark303 wrote:I'm not sure I can see the point of a non folding R20 at all when you can have an F frame Moulton instead. :D

is it because they're cheaper and ride better? :P

My disappointment with the F-frame is well noted here, but c'mon, I've never once said it rode as hideously as an R20 :roll:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

spark303 wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:Had my first go on a Brompton today, fitted with a Sturmey AW :D

I think you have to view them from a portability, rather than a rideability, point of view. If you don't need a bike that folds down small, there's no point in getting a Brompton. If you do then it's ride is acceptable and it all seems worthwhile when you get on a rush hour Tube with your bike. :D

I love mine. But that may because when I use it, I can nearly half the time of my bike only or public transport only commutes. 8)

You're absolutely right that there's no comparison with a Moulton though - but the IMO no other bike I've ridden rides like a Moulton.

An R20 folder is always handy when you need a bike that takes up more space folded than when not :twisted: I'm not sure I can see the point of a non folding R20 at all when you can have an F frame Moulton instead. :D

That all makes perfectly good sense, of course, but I still wanted it to be fabulous so I could be the only one in the village 8)