togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
steve browne

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by steve browne »

robc02 wrote:
Have you any recommendation for this?

I have seen suggestions of a derailleur friction lever or using two of the three positions of a Sturmey Archer trigger. What do you think?

I have been using two of the three speed trigger controls. I make sure the lefthand one is adjusted tighter than the set up position recommended by SA, the flat on the toggle chain is slightly proud of the end of the axle. If you attach a toggle chain to the axle and pull whilst watching the sun pinions move you will see that once the gear has engaged there is a smaller amount of further movement possible as the spring compresses. It appears that the gears are less likely to slip if the cable adjustment pulls things tightly. I suspect that in use there is a small amount of rocking movement between the sun pinion and the dog ring and that the pinion slowly 'walks' out of engagement, slips a tooth or two and then re-engages due to the action of the spring.
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Steve,
wot's been busy working 16 hours a day all this week (so much for retirement! I know. It's my own fault for going back :oops: )

Well I'm glad to see you are leading the way now that the government say we've all got to work until we are 70+ Specially you public sector types with your "sick note culture" and "millionaire pensions". Hey just a minute aren't the government public sector?

Mike wot can't wait until his wife retires from nursing with her millionaire's pension :-)
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I have been using two of the three speed trigger controls. I make sure the lefthand one is adjusted tighter than the set up position recommended by SA, the flat on the toggle chain is slightly proud of the end of the axle. If you attach a toggle chain to the axle and pull whilst watching the sun pinions move you will see that once the gear has engaged there is a smaller amount of further movement possible as the spring compresses. It appears that the gears are less likely to slip if the cable adjustment pulls things tightly. I suspect that in use there is a small amount of rocking movement between the sun pinion and the dog ring and that the pinion slowly 'walks' out of engagement, slips a tooth or two and then re-engages due to the action of the spring.

Thanks Steve. I was tending towards the two trigger approach so am reassured by your advice.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

It's finally properly finished, all tweaks, changes and adjustments completed :D just in time for impending unemployment :( Who was it that said the unemployed should "get on their bike"? :|

pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Norman Tebbit.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

another beauty, i'll bet you're pleased 8)

good luck job hunting
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

That's lovely Graham. I do like that big lamp! :D

I have some good news too! I finally got my Pashley sorted. SJSC built me a wheel around the XL-RD3 hub I bought earlier so today I've fitted it which took a while, but that's partly because I had a few other jobs to do as well, like change the grips, fit a new mirror, change winter tyres for M+ etc,.

I found the main challenge was tightening the cone in such a way as to get the torque arm to line up with the bracket on the chain stay. Now I've worked it out I'll find it easier if I ever have to do it again. I also put the sprocket on the wrong way around which left me with a kinky chain line so I had to take the back wheel off again to turn it around. :roll:

The 3-speed trigger that came with the hub is rather plasticy looking, so I might replace that sometime, but it seems to function alright so I might just wait until it fails.

The XL-RD3 hub itself feels super-smooth. Gear changes feel positive too. So far I'm really pleased with the result; I haven't been out for a long ride yet - will go for a spin shortly.

Many thanks for your help and moral support everyone - I can't tell you how good it feels to get my favourite bike back on the road, and it seems to ride so much better now with the newer hub. 8)
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

GrahamNR17 wrote:It's finally properly finished, all tweaks, changes and adjustments completed :D

Lovely bike Graham. Is that a tent in the background? Are you rehearsing camping for TCT2?
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

Gorgeous bike Graham.

I'm in the process of building up a late 40's Raleigh Clubman myself, but I'm going for more of a 'scapheap challenge' look since I don't have the time or money to do anything more :( The frame has been power coated a rather nasty shade of green and it'll be running steel 26 x 1 1/4 wheels (with a 4 speed FM hub though :) ), but I'm looking forward to riding it all the same.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

GrahamNR17 wrote:It's finally properly finished

Cracking job, Graham :P I expect his one will be a 'keeper', eh?
Steve
robc02

Post by robc02 »

It's finally properly finished, all tweaks, changes and adjustments completed

Very nice. I like the position of the bottle cage; where did you get the bracket from?

That looks like a dynamo front light - how do you power it?
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

robc02 wrote:
It's finally properly finished, all tweaks, changes and adjustments completed

Very nice. I like the position of the bottle cage; where did you get the bracket from?

That looks like a dynamo front light - how do you power it?

The bracket came with the bottle cage, got it on fleaby from Rotec Cycles near Reading, three quid I seem to remember.

Light isn't powered, I was going to use a dynohub, then I remembered how much I hate them :lol: and I can't get the GH6 dynamo-side bearing cone to stay adjusted :| I'll probably gut the lamp and put an LED light and batteries in it at some stage.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Greybeard wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:It's finally properly finished

Cracking job, Graham :P I expect his one will be a 'keeper', eh?
Steve

Hope so, it would certainly be the last bike I'd sell if I had to. It would probably win over the car if push came to shove. It's a joy to ride, a proper joy. I'll never have another Raleigh though, I'd be too disappointed with it after this thing 8)

Graham, wot ackcherly likes a Raleigh :shock:
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Graham, wot ackcherly likes a Raleigh

After all you have said about 24TPI :shock:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Edwards wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:Graham, wot ackcherly likes a Raleigh

After all you have said about 24TPI :shock:

I know, shocking, innit? :shock: Though I did get rid of half the PITA 26tpi :mrgreen:

But I still won't have another one :mrgreen: