togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
GavinC

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by GavinC »

GrahamNR17 wrote:That all makes perfectly good sense, of course, but I still wanted it to be fabulous so I could be the only one in the village 8)

It is fabulous, though maybe not as a bike :lol: But imagine how impressed your neighbours would be when they see you fold it down in 15 seconds flat to go into the shop or the pub :D
robc02

Post by robc02 »

but I still wanted it to be fabulous so I could be the only one in the village

I thought wanting something that's fabulous and wanting to own the only example in the village were separate criteria??

I think you should become the owner of one - it will further confirm your status as a sensible, well balanced person - unlike all those nutters and eccentrics you encounter daily, some of whom don't even own a single bicycle :!:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

robc02 wrote:
but I still wanted it to be fabulous so I could be the only one in the village

I thought wanting something that's fabulous and wanting to own the only example in the village were separate criteria??

I think you should become the owner of one - it will further confirm your status as a sensible, well balanced person - unlike all those nutters and eccentrics you encounter daily, some of whom don't even own a single bicycle :!:

I tried that with the F-frame, and because I can't crack the technique to make it ride nice, I don't want to own it :(

The downside of so many nice-to-ride bikes is that it takes me an hour to choose a bike to go out on :oops: so maybe a few pups in there will hasten my time-to-ride times :roll:
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Talking of Bromptons, did anyone see the "Made in Britain" programme on BBC2 last night? - There was a piece about Brompton and an interview with its "top man".

Whatever some of us may think about its rideability, its a very successful product. UKPLC could do with a few more like it!

I've never ridden one, but if I had to take a job where I couldn't use a big wheeled bike for transport, a Brompton would be at the top of my list for a test ride.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

You want to try a Moulton TSR. Simply amazing. I think the earliest space frame Moultons were AMs and they were made first in the 1980s. They seem to go for more money than a new TSR 30 which is rather odd.
I had a lovely ride on my TSR 30 on Sunday - 65 hilly miles in glorious Derbyshire. Didn't feel particularly tired when I got home but it soon caught up with me.
jonty
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Jonty wrote:You want to try a Moulton TSR.

I'm a bit scared of trying a TSR. If it's even half as good as people suggest, I'll have to buy one, and then my annual bike budget will be blown to smithereens :?
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

GrahamNR17 wrote: my annual bike budget will be blown to smithereens

Graham I thought you had said you budget for purchasing bikes was Nil Nought Nada :roll: :lol: :|
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Edwards wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote: my annual bike budget will be blown to smithereens

Graham I thought you had said you budget for purchasing bikes was Nil Nought Nada :roll: :lol: :|

That's why it would blow it to smithereens :lol:
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Jonty wrote:You want to try a Moulton TSR.

I'm a bit scared of trying a TSR. If it's even half as good as people suggest, I'll have to buy one, and then my annual bike budget will be blown to smithereens :?

+1 :oops:
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

I had a Moulton APB T21 for a few years (I bought it after my gran left me a little money in her will). I sold it a couple of years ago to get most of the money to buy my Pashley Paramount. I liked the ride, although in retrospect I should have gone for the straight bar version not the drops. The 3-speed hub in the dual-drive worked very nicely too - it's what encouraged me to go the whole hog and get the hub-geared Pashley.

What I really didn't like about the Moulton is the rear rack and the fact it can't take ordinary panniers. It might be different now, but at the time the Moulton designed bag for the rear rack was rather crude and the rear rack itself wasn't well designed - the tab at the back for mounting a rear light was only flimsy and soon broke off. The front rack, however, being mounted on the frame not the forks was great - very stable and you could get a version which took panniers too. It was also very easy to put on / take off being fixed by only two bolts.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
AMC

Post by AMC »

I've never once said it rode as hideously as an R20 :roll:
Who had the pea green R20 on TCT 1? Was it Greybeard's? I thought that rode rather marvelously myself. But then I don't own a Moulton.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

corshamjim wrote:I had a Moulton APB T21 for a few years (I bought it after my gran left me a little money in her will). I sold it a couple of years ago to get most of the money to buy my Pashley Paramount. I liked the ride, although in retrospect I should have gone for the straight bar version not the drops. The 3-speed hub in the dual-drive worked very nicely too - it's what encouraged me to go the whole hog and get the hub-geared Pashley.

What I really didn't like about the Moulton is the rear rack and the fact it can't take ordinary panniers. It might be different now, but at the time the Moulton designed bag for the rear rack was rather crude and the rear rack itself wasn't well designed - the tab at the back for mounting a rear light was only flimsy and soon broke off. The front rack, however, being mounted on the frame not the forks was great - very stable and you could get a version which took panniers too. It was also very easy to put on / take off being fixed by only two bolts.

The front and rear racks for the Multon TSR are really good now. There's a very large rear touring rack which is very secure and well designed which takes the Moulton large touring bag made for Moulton by Carradice. There is also a smaller rear day rack which takes the Moulton Day Bag.The design of both rear racks mirrors the space frame design. The front racks are brillantly designed as well. I have them on both my TSRs. I have Carradice Super Cs on front which work very well on my TSR 30 but not quite so good on my TSR 27 with side pull brakes.
The bags and racks are however quite expensive but good.
There's photographs of them on the Moulton Bicycle Company website under accessories.
jonty
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

GrahamNR17 wrote:My disappointment with the F-frame is well noted here, but c'mon, I've never once said it rode as hideously as an R20 :roll:

i don't recall you having a go on greybeard's green machine... :P
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:My disappointment with the F-frame is well noted here, but c'mon, I've never once said it rode as hideously as an R20 :roll:

I used to commute 14 miles an a fekkin poxy cruddy XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX R 20 in the early 80s. A time I remember with little fondness :evil:
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

hubgearfreak wrote:

I'll never forget it, Hubs :P It was probably the most test-ridden machine on a TCT - even the 1909 Rover took second place I think :roll:

Steve (wot's just read wot he writ and stresses that he is still talking about Shrek before Graham pops up with some 'Carry On' comment :shock: )