togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
MikewsMITH2

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Greybeard wrote:
MikewsMITH2 wrote:Lord help you if you go out for a pee in the middle of the night :oops:

The good Lord has already helped in that regard - he kindly gave someone the idea of the Thermos flask - wide-mouthed of course :oops:
Anyone for a cuppa? :wink:

S

Err no but I think this is a better arrangement http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0659768069
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

littleman wrote:Image

Superb! It looks really fabulous :D

I went for the same look (great minds, etc). I may well get a zip roll for the bars too. It looks too useful not to :wink:

GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

I've no fettlin' t' be doin' :|

So I've been tartin' instead. 'ow 'bout this f'r a chain then, eh?

corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

'Pimp My Ride' - the new name for TCT. :D
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

MikewsMITH2 wrote:Come on now a VW Transporter isnt that much more comfortable than a tent :o

you're kidding, right? :shock:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

GrahamNR17 wrote:So I've been tartin' instead.

very nice :mrgreen:

did you do your stove whilst you had the metal polish out? :P
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

hubgearfreak wrote:
MikewsMITH2 wrote:Come on now a VW Transporter isnt that much more comfortable than a tent :o

you're kidding, right? :shock:

When I was a kid we had a Bedford CF Dormobile. It was usually a lot colder sleeping in the Dormobile than in a tent, so mostly we preferred to take a tent and sleep in that.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
AMC

Post by AMC »

Newark sounds good to me too, & at this stage we can probably easily book a weekend in Sept. Just not sure if I can wait that long - I was already looking forward to June :wink: But we're pretty flexible so Sept should be fine.

Edit: Having just said all that, we probably couldn't do the middle weekend of Sept (the one nearest to the 13th as it's Matt's birthday & he usually has nefarious plans involving mountain biking & beer :? )
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

AMC wrote:nefarious plans involving mountain biking & beer :? )

Beer we could do. Not sure about mountain biking in Newark though :?
We look forward to seeing you.
Steve :wink:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

So exactly what is the date of TCT3? Referring to school term times means nowt to me :oops:
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

GrahamNR17 wrote: 'ow 'bout this f'r a chain then, eh?

That's looking pretty (actually, very :mrgreen: ) smart, Graham. What sort is it?
How about extending the weight saving theme by drilling the cranks too then? :wink:

Steve (wot needs his spoon drilling more than his chain to lose weight :oops: )
Grumpy Nurse

Post by Grumpy Nurse »

Need some rim advice, please. I built myself some lovely wheels using sa drum + 5 spd hubs and 26 westwood rims. Unfortuanately I can only just fit the rear wheel in the frame with an almighty struggle involving swearing and seperating the forks. The rims are just too wide. While its just about usable, the thought of doing the same thing with a rear wheel puncture does not appeal. As I just know it will be raining, half way up a desolate Lancashire hill and 20 miles from a warm fire.

So recomendations for durable, strong and narrow rims are needed. Weight is not a big issue for some one with a beer belly like mine.

Its not a dead loss as I reckon its going to give me more wheel building practice and the excuse to build another bike. I've got to do something with the left over rims and spokes, you see!
littleman

Post by littleman »

I read the board everyday, and as it was this thread that I arrived upon I tend to think of this as "Home"! All the other area's are definitely F.A.B. and I've learnt some great stuff. But I don't do Time trials or massive tours or 100 miles at a time - and in truth I find the polemics a little tiresome.
I don't intend to leave my bike in the garage for six months and bring it out next year all shiny and new - and I didn't mean to just open my wallet to buy my fashion accessory Carradice bags.

But, I did totally lose the plot and replaced my old "bucket" hat with a Tilley ............................... YES a Tilley!! a T5 to be exact. And I wanted to announce the fact and see if anyone else uses one and how they get on with it.
Mine was bought on the thin justification that I needed something a bit more robust and long lived than my old soft cotton bucket - I struggle at the best of times with strong sunlight and especially at this time of year - I'm still thrashing up and down the tow paths and finding that I'm now doing at least twice the distance that I was at my first outing [14 miles out and back - most days].
But I have had a couple of close calls with the edge of the cut when the poor surface, my inexperience, and the blinding sun have conspired to nearly put me in! Oh, and I've hit a bridge!! I know I know! - I was going under and trying to go slowly and peer around to see if there was anyone the other side - lost my balance a bit and whilst wobbling toward the cut took emergency avoidance and over compensated the other way - ducked my head to save whacking it on the bridge arch and made full contact with my shoulder. At this point fully realising I wasn't going as slowly as I thought and that being that much older now; - that bridges bliddy well hurt if you hit 'em! ................. Luckily there wasn't anyone the other side to witness this silly old bugger ricocheting out of the bridge hole yelping with arms legs and pedals in all directions......................

.......................................................................Did I mention I've got me a Tilley?
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

No, I don't personally have any experience of a Tilley T5. You see, I'm just not old enough :shock: for a beige cowboy hat with a chin strap :shock: and wouldn't be seen with one :shock:

.....he lied :oops:

You have learned one of the most important lessons about bridges that it's possible to learn: they don't move when you hit 'em :lol:

Really pleased to hear of the mileages and enjoyment you're getting from your bike 8) You seem to enjoy the kind of cycling I do - pedalling for the sheer thrill of it :D
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Grumpy Nurse wrote:Need some rim advice, please. I built myself some lovely wheels using sa drum + 5 spd hubs and 26 westwood rims. Unfortuanately I can only just fit the rear wheel in the frame with an almighty struggle involving swearing and seperating the forks. The rims are just too wide. While its just about usable, the thought of doing the same thing with a rear wheel puncture does not appeal. As I just know it will be raining, half way up a desolate Lancashire hill and 20 miles from a warm fire.

So recomendations for durable, strong and narrow rims are needed. Weight is not a big issue for some one with a beer belly like mine.

Its not a dead loss as I reckon its going to give me more wheel building practice and the excuse to build another bike. I've got to do something with the left over rims and spokes, you see!

Is it the wheel rim width or diameter that causing the problem, GN?