togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Greybeard

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Postby Greybeard » 22 Jun 2011, 5:25pm

GrahamNR17 wrote: A time I remember with little fondness :evil:

Lie down on the couch and share it with us, Graham. Methinks that you're blaming the bike for some other tragic event in your life. A bad experience with a Norfolk ewe perhaps - they can be very choosy you know :wink:

Steve

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 22 Jun 2011, 5:28pm

Greybeard wrote:Steve (wot's just read wot he writ and stresses that he is still talking about Shrek before Graham pops up with some 'Carry On' comment :shock: )

Don't worry ducky, it doesn't make you a lesser person Image

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 22 Jun 2011, 5:30pm

Greybeard wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote: A time I remember with little fondness :evil:

Lie down on the couch and share it with us, Graham. Methinks that you're blaming the bike for some other tragic event in your life. A bad experience with a Norfolk ewe perhaps - they can be very choosy you know :wink:

Steve

I wasn't a "Norfolk Person" in them days, I was a freshly-Berkshire person Image

Greybeard

Postby Greybeard » 22 Jun 2011, 5:51pm

GrahamNR17 wrote:I was a freshly-Berkshire person

Well done, mate. That's the first step and it wasn't so bad was it? Now, keep going ......... :roll:

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 22 Jun 2011, 6:05pm

Greybeard wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:I was a freshly-Berkshire person

Well done, mate. That's the first step and it wasn't so bad was it? Now, keep going ......... :roll:

I can't put the next icon here, the mods will delete it. But you know which one it is :evil:

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 23 Jun 2011, 6:30pm

Any of you going to York Rally, particularly the jumble?

Yes? oh goody.....

Well, you know it is that I've always like you the best? :mrgreen:

if you were to happen upon a paraffin rear light that was in full working order, not shop condition, but not rusty either... :mrgreen:

Graham, wots got money for his favourite person wots going to the jumble :mrgreen:

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 23 Jun 2011, 8:20pm

GrahamNR17 wrote:Any of you going to York Rally, particularly the jumble?

i'll keep them peeled. :wink: what's your maximum price?

Greybeard

Postby Greybeard » 23 Jun 2011, 8:23pm

I've just rescued this old girl from a ride to the tip. It belonged to the mother-in-law of a colleague. Jan 1980 and everything works beautifully (the bike, not the MIL!). It was covered in dust and the chrome has been smeared with grease/vaseline (that could well apply to the MIL). It doesn't look as though it's been used very much at all (ditto re MIL). Still has a paper label wrapped around the front hub :shock: The rims have a little pitting, but nothing too drastic and I do have a pair of stainless jobbies on a 1953 lady's bike that's awaiting treatment - unless Graham has a spare pair kicking about of course :roll: It might be only a late Raleigh, but it means that SWMBO now has a comfy bike to ride until I finish the restoration of the 1930 version. I'll also fit the flowery- embossed Brooks leather saddle so she can get used to it :wink:
Best of all - it was a freebie :P How good is that?

Graham, if I get to York, I'll keep the mk1 eyeballs peeled for you.

Steve

Jonty

Postby Jonty » 23 Jun 2011, 8:25pm

That is georgeous.
jonty

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 23 Jun 2011, 8:29pm

Greybeard wrote:I've just rescued this old girl from a ride to the tip. It belonged to the mother-in-law of a colleague.

i'm pleased you saved it. haven't they heard of ebay?, that'd have fetched a pretty penny if he'd been willing to post it to that london

Greybeard

Postby Greybeard » 23 Jun 2011, 8:37pm

Daft thing is, he'd had 3 or 4 tyre kickers come and look at it but they all 'really needed' a mountain bike for commuting the mile or two to work - in HULL :shock: :? I'm glad that some folk are dimmer than a Toc H lamp :D

Steve (wot wonders how many pearls have been ignored by the swine in the past :wink: )

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 23 Jun 2011, 8:59pm

hubgearfreak wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:Any of you going to York Rally, particularly the jumble?

i'll keep them peeled. :wink: what's your maximum price?

Superb, thankyou 8) I'll go to about fifty squids for something in good shape. This is the Lucas I got for the front:

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 23 Jun 2011, 9:02pm

Greybeard wrote:Graham has a spare pair kicking about of course :roll:
Graham, if I get to York, I'll keep the mk1 eyeballs peeled for you.

Steve

Splendid, see above for the Lucas I got for the front. Something similar for the rear would be fabulous. If it were a Lucas, even better, but that's not a must 8)

Nice Superbe GB! :mrgreen:

Right, just back from the bottom of the garden, and down in the vegetable patch are a pair of stainless 'Westrick' pattern rims. They're 32/40h though, but yours may be 36/36 being a late one. Yours if ya need 'em :wink:

Greybeard

Postby Greybeard » 23 Jun 2011, 9:39pm

GrahamNR17 wrote:Right, just back from the bottom of the garden, and down in the vegetable patch are a pair of stainless 'Westrick' pattern rims. They're 32/40h though, but yours may be 36/36 being a late one. Yours if ya need 'em :wink:

Mmm 36/36 they are indeed :( Still, hang onto those 40/32s I may have a project for 'em yet :wink:
Hubs - if you get to York before me, there's your task - locate and secure a pair of 36h 26 x 1 3/8th stainless rims :wink:
I daren't go on Saturday - there's a bike auction and you know what I'm like :oops:

Steve

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 23 Jun 2011, 9:44pm

Greybeard wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:Right, just back from the bottom of the garden, and down in the vegetable patch are a pair of stainless 'Westrick' pattern rims. They're 32/40h though, but yours may be 36/36 being a late one. Yours if ya need 'em :wink:

Mmm 36/36 they are indeed :( Still, hang onto those 40/32s I may have a project for 'em yet :wink:

Okey doke. I'll whip out the Dyno 4 from the rear one just in case, you won't want that old junk :wink:

Just looked - behind the log shed there's also a pair of 1950-vintage Dunlop aluminium rims with the nice rounded ridge round the middle, but again 32/40 and another poxy Dyno 4 (I think they breed!) :roll: