symbols on cars

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
glueman

Re: symbols on cars

Post by glueman »

I could understand if the fish and its derivatives were parked up outside Netto or Greggs, but they're appearing on cars driven by people who should know better. They've become the 'my other car is a Porsche' of the C21st, the acceptable face of carshop jokes for the aspiring classes. Or is it GLXi oneupmanship for would-be intellectuals and the fish gags are tolerated where 'I've been to Twycross Zoo' would be met with scorn?

Worst still, how long before they appear on bikes? Half a fish on fixie spoke cards for agnostics? Oh for a Bedford Camper with minor Scottish east coast resorts on the quarterlights!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

glueman wrote:Worst still, how long before they appear on bikes? Half a fish on fixie spoke cards for agnostics? Oh for a Bedford Camper with minor Scottish east coast resorts on the quarterlights!

Genius! I'm knocking up fish with legs for spoke reflectors in CAD, I'll nip into the garage in a bit and see if I can CNC an existing reflector into one.

Of course the other possibility is those led spoke things that draw pictures as you cycle along, they could be reprogrammed to have fish that evolve legs as you pedal!

Thanks glueman.
glueman

Post by glueman »

Well there was a fashion for thieving the radiator totems from Atkinson lorries because of the anarchist logo resemblance, and VW car badges became briefly prized. Someone might jemmy the fish spin offs, a christmas tree decorated with a variety of beliefs would be good. Richard Dawkins could be the pink fairy on top with an unmagical non-wand hand staff who sings 'twinkle, twinkle, deep space stellar object'.
Now where's my arts council grant application?
byegad

Post by byegad »

I have a Darwin's Fish on my car and trikes. I put them on to annoy the Christians who have the fish. Sounds like as a bonus I've annoyed the OP. :D
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
glueman

Post by glueman »

byegad wrote:I have a Darwin's Fish on my car and trikes. I put them on to annoy the Christians who have the fish. Sounds like as a bonus I've annoyed the OP. :D

I've never seen a fish on a bike, do they exist? That's evolution gone mad!
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

byegad wrote:I have a Darwin's Fish on my car and trikes. I put them on to annoy the Christians who have the fish. Sounds like as a bonus I've annoyed the OP. :D

Of course the Christians might think that you are displaying the fish because you are a Christian yourself. God bless you

Incidentally a former traffic patrol colleague of mine once told me that the traffic police never stopped 'fish folk' because the interminable apologising drove them mad!!!

Contraversial Comment Warning

Speaking of fish folk, I note that the Pope will have his letter read out at Mass across the world this weekend. " My dearly beloved, I'm so sorry that so many of my colleagues have acted inappropriately (fiddled) with the children in their care. Never mind, that's in the past. Let us move on. Forgive and forget. Now to the subject of collections, can you not put a little more into the tin.......... have you seen the cost of international flights these days"
Last edited by mw3230 on 20 Mar 2010, 11:35am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired and loving it
glueman

Post by glueman »

As a keen angler I'd quite like a really big one with a lure in its mouth.
glueman

Post by glueman »

GrahamNR17 wrote:"Child on board" etc. I hate those! Who cares if they've bred? In fact, I'd rather most of them kept it a secret :evil: What is it they expect of me? A toot on the horn by way of congratulations? A double toot by way of commiseration for the ugly little git they've produced? Grrrrr :evil:

I shall bring my kids on the toggletour riding 33 speed derailleurs to even things up.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

mw3230 wrote:Incidentally a former traffic patrol colleague of mine once told me that the traffic police never stopped 'fish folk' because the interminable apologising drove them mad!!!

So being polite does work :wink:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

glueman wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:"Child on board" etc. I hate those! Who cares if they've bred? In fact, I'd rather most of them kept it a secret :evil: What is it they expect of me? A toot on the horn by way of congratulations? A double toot by way of commiseration for the ugly little git they've produced? Grrrrr :evil:

I shall bring my kids on the toggletour riding 33 speed derailleurs to even things up.

They won't nick my bike, will they? :|
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

glueman wrote:........ and Satanists with the fish on toasting forks.

I thought they were Barbecue-ists!
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

mw3230 wrote:

Perhaps we should drive exceedingly careful behind them. Hurrah for child free holiday destinations I say!!

And what about wagons advertising 'horses in transit' As cyclists perhaps we need to keep clear in case the animal voids its bladder!

When following a horse box trailer do not get too close in an open top sports car :roll: I did one day when I had an MG midget. couldnt understand why on a cloudless sunny day it was raining, until the penny dropped :oops:

Best sign I've ever seen on the back of an equestrian vehicle spread over two doors "Hoof" "Hearted" :lol:

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh Malc, what I'd give for a time machine to go back and witness that :lol: :lol: :lol: So how many horse peer did your MG have? :lol:
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

GrahamNR17 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Oh Malc, what I'd give for a time machine to go back and witness that :lol: :lol: :lol: So how many horse peer did your MG have? :lol:

Just one! :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
drossall

Post by drossall »

There are fish on some of my bikes.

Of course, the worst of the lot are those awful people with "My other car is a bike" in their back windows, making us feel as though they only reluctantly drive round like the rest of us...