Is this a wind-up

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers
Posts: 13852
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby kwackers » 9 Apr 2010, 9:24am

mw3230 wrote:Inappropriate expression.

:shock:

Is it?

The guy sat behind me doesn't think so and he's of Chinese origin. Still perhaps he's as politically incorrect as I (probably) am. :lol:

Back to the OP. The trick with this device is to design it properly, the clever thing about Bayliss's wind up radios is that they don't have a battery. Instead they run a clockwork mechanism to a generator that is used to charge a small capacitor. Once charged the circuit 'shorts' the generator to bring it to a near stop, power is used and when the voltage across the capacitor drops below some level the short is removed and the generator allowed to run to charge the capacitor again.

If the lights used this principle they'd be fine, but all the wind up lights I've ever seen don't. They're not clockwork, they're simply handles to generators and shoddy batteries. Once they've been in the cupboard for a few months then they're only fit for the bin.

Lawrie9
Posts: 1011
Joined: 4 Oct 2007, 11:23am
Location: Powys, Wales, UK

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby Lawrie9 » 9 Apr 2010, 9:51am

I bought that wind up light set for half the price a few years ago and it was no good and the charge didn't last long between wind ups. I have a little wind up torch bought for £1.99 that lasts a long time. Wind up technology has yet to really take off.
No jam doughnuts stored here overnight

thirdcrank
Posts: 28684
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby thirdcrank » 9 Apr 2010, 10:24am

Lawrie9 wrote:.... Wind up technology has yet to really take off.


In some places it's well-developed but then it's known as canteen humour :wink:

Kirst
Posts: 375
Joined: 16 Nov 2007, 7:38pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby Kirst » 9 Apr 2010, 12:56pm

kwackers wrote:
mw3230 wrote:Inappropriate expression.

:shock:

Is it?

The guy sat behind me doesn't think so and he's of Chinese origin. Still perhaps he's as politically incorrect as I (probably) am. :lol:

And some Pakistani people don't mind Paki, but most people wouldn't use it anyway.
I can handle bars and cycle paths but I can't handle cars and psychopaths

http://action.hopenothate.org.uk/page/s/notinmyname

kwackers
Posts: 13852
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby kwackers » 9 Apr 2010, 1:00pm

Kirst wrote:And some Pakistani people don't mind Paki, but most people wouldn't use it anyway.

I think the words irrelevant, the intent however is everything. :wink:

mw3230
Posts: 1162
Joined: 31 May 2007, 11:22pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby mw3230 » 9 Apr 2010, 3:50pm

kwackers wrote:
Kirst wrote:And some Pakistani people don't mind Paki, but most people wouldn't use it anyway.

I think the words irrelevant, the intent however is everything. :wink:


You are so wrong! It's the use of the terms that it wrong regardless of intent. Would you use the word nigger? I doubt it. To most people the defence that 'they' don't mind is what Bernard Manning used to say about his disgusting, racist, sexist humour. And don't get the idea that I'm a saint cos that is not true. I've learnt over the years that those who laugh along at inappropriate humour - females, disabled, minority group members etc often laugh in your presence because they are powerless but they may well cry behind closed doors. "It's just a bit of fun" (or a winking smilie) doesn't excuse bullying - racist, sexist or otherwise. This is something I feel strongly about in the same way as others rightly object to vulgar language. I make no apologies.

Lecture over and I'm now down from my high horse
Retired and loving it

kwackers
Posts: 13852
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby kwackers » 9 Apr 2010, 4:54pm

mw3230 wrote:You are so wrong! It's the use of the terms that it wrong regardless of intent. Would you use the word nigger? I doubt it. To most people the defence that 'they' don't mind is what Bernard Manning used to say about his disgusting, racist, sexist humour. And don't get the idea that I'm a saint cos that is not true. I've learnt over the years that those who laugh along at inappropriate humour - females, disabled, minority group members etc often laugh in your presence because they are powerless but they may well cry behind closed doors. "It's just a bit of fun" (or a winking smilie) doesn't excuse bullying - racist, sexist or otherwise. This is something I feel strongly about in the same way as others rightly object to vulgar language. I make no apologies.

Lecture over and I'm now down from my high horse

Actually I'm so right! Not only that but you've just agreed! 'Inappropriate' humour is inappropriate simply because of it's intent!
I see absolutely nothing in what you've said that invalidated my remark.

mw3230
Posts: 1162
Joined: 31 May 2007, 11:22pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby mw3230 » 9 Apr 2010, 5:02pm

kwackers wrote:
mw3230 wrote:You are so wrong! It's the use of the terms that it wrong regardless of intent. Would you use the word nigger? I doubt it. To most people the defence that 'they' don't mind is what Bernard Manning used to say about his disgusting, racist, sexist humour. And don't get the idea that I'm a saint cos that is not true. I've learnt over the years that those who laugh along at inappropriate humour - females, disabled, minority group members etc often laugh in your presence because they are powerless but they may well cry behind closed doors. "It's just a bit of fun" (or a winking smilie) doesn't excuse bullying - racist, sexist or otherwise. This is something I feel strongly about in the same way as others rightly object to vulgar language. I make no apologies.

Lecture over and I'm now down from my high horse

Actually I'm so right! Not only that but you've just agreed! 'Inappropriate' humour is inappropriate simply because of it's intent!
I see absolutely nothing in what you've said that invalidated my remark.


Quelle surprise. We must agree to differ.
Retired and loving it

kwackers
Posts: 13852
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby kwackers » 9 Apr 2010, 5:12pm

mw3230 wrote:Quelle surprise. We must agree to differ.

Except I don't see that we do and you offer no explanation as to why you think we do.

Since you've presumably used your little story to demonstrate that I'm wrong that intent is everything then I challenge you to expand on your explanation to demonstrate why people telling such jokes is in fact innocent and not intended to cause offence.
By my reckoning they do indeed intend to cause offence of one group at the expense of another, presumably the fact you seem to think we disagree suggest you believe this not to be the case?

mw3230
Posts: 1162
Joined: 31 May 2007, 11:22pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby mw3230 » 9 Apr 2010, 5:37pm

Kwackers,

I thought my post was clear and I've re-read it and do not see how it relates to your latest but obviously you feel I'm at fault. In case other forum members feel the same as you I'll apologise. It seems I've expressed myself less than clearly and I'll think I'll say no more on the matter.

Cheers

MW
Retired and loving it

kwackers
Posts: 13852
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby kwackers » 9 Apr 2010, 5:50pm

mw3230 wrote:Kwackers,

I thought my post was clear and I've re-read it and do not see how it relates to your latest but obviously you feel I'm at fault. In case other forum members feel the same as you I'll apologise. It seems I've expressed myself less than clearly and I'll think I'll say no more on the matter.

Cheers

MW

I don't believe I've made myself clear either so let me just clarify.

If in the course of normal conversation I say something which someone finds offensive then whilst I apologise I believe they should bear in mind the intent behind the remark (unless it was intended to be offensive - in which case you're probably in a car and I'm on my bicycle).
I just don't believe in making an issue out of something when there was no intent on behalf of the speaker. In the case of your example there clearly is an intent.

Brian
Posts: 73
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 2:48pm
Location: Garforth, Leeds

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby Brian » 9 Apr 2010, 7:33pm

mw3230 wrote: Would you use the word nigger? I doubt it.


Well I would'nt, but you just have.

GrahamNR17
Posts: 2828
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 6:31pm

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby GrahamNR17 » 9 Apr 2010, 7:33pm

I thought this was about winding lights up, not each other :lol: :lol: :lol:

whoops
Posts: 813
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:01pm

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby whoops » 9 Apr 2010, 8:01pm

It's all been rather LIGHT-hearted, and AMPule has been said on the subject, and I reFUSE to get the wind up. After all lots of comedians tour the CIRCUITS with so-called alternator comedy but I think they are only trying to pull your wire.
shocking, but there you are. That's life.

I know, it's terrible ain't it! :roll: :roll: :roll: I'll leave the room now.

reohn2
Posts: 36776
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Is this a wind-up

Postby reohn2 » 9 Apr 2010, 8:49pm

whoops wrote:It's all been rather LIGHT-hearted, and AMPule has been said on the subject, and I reFUSE to get the wind up. After all lots of comedians tour the CIRCUITS with so-called alternator comedy but I think they are only trying to pull your wire.
shocking, but there you are. That's life.

I know, it's terrible ain't it! :roll: :roll: :roll: I'll leave the room now.


Don't forget to switch the light off when leave :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.