Lack of aircraft overhead

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
squeaker

Lack of aircraft overhead

Postby squeaker » 18 Apr 2010, 8:21am

We don't live that near a major airport (25m from Gatwick) but the lack of noise from early morning jets overhead, circling in a holding pattern, has been brilliant :D
We done, that volcano 8)
"42"

MattyDeez

Re: Lack of aircraft overhead

Postby MattyDeez » 18 Apr 2010, 8:33am

It's great not hearing any jets here too, since i live in south shields they always come over here at round 5000 feet to land at newcastle.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 18 Apr 2010, 9:00am

I can see Leeds and Bradford 'International' Airport from my back bedroom windows. It hardly has the same level of flights as bigger airports but I've been amazed at how much quieter things are. We live within easy earshot of both the M62 and M 621 and I thought that was where all the noise was coming from.

There have been health concerns raised about the ash; I wonder if they will be more than outbalanced by the reductions in aircraft emissions and dumping of unused fuel?

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 18 Apr 2010, 9:05am

I have Lakenheath and Mildenhall on my doorstep, I must have become used to the jet fighters, helicopters, huge transport planes and massive fuel tankers constantly performing exercises overhead. Now they aren't there, I can actually hear birds singing, motorbikes hairing round Snetterton in the distance, my neighbours when they chat over the fence - it's lovely here, and I never knew :lol:

jan19

Postby jan19 » 18 Apr 2010, 10:42am

We're on the flight path to Biggin Hill - while it cannot be compared to the large airports it does carry a lot of light planes and executive jets and we've heard only two in the last few days. Never really thought about how much noise they make until they're not there...its lovely and quiet at the moment

we are also occasionally on the Gatwick approach (depending on wind direction) so we've none of the big planes either.

I'm sorry for those trying to travel (although I'm pleased the ferry companies are doing well as they've had a hard time of it in the last few years) but it is really nice for those of us on the ground.

Jan :D

random37

Postby random37 » 18 Apr 2010, 11:00am

There was a chap on Broadcasting House this morning who was saying the volcano might be erupting for months.

Here's hoping. 8)

Can you imagine how a few months of no flights could change the world?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 18 Apr 2010, 11:33am

Although it makes me grin and smile and LOVE the way the skies are quiet and clear, one person in particular (Me) is flying to Wick to start his JOGLE in just over four weeks time. :cry:

(I suppose it's a good excuse for not doing it. The thought of riding my Raleigh Chopper E2E is starting to frighten me. :oops: )
Mick F. Cornwall

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 18 Apr 2010, 11:40am

chris667 wrote:Can you imagine how a few months of no flights could change the world?

mothers day and valentines day are behind us and the locallly produced stuff's in season, so flowers wont be an issue.
but stuff like baby sweetcorn, mange tout, strawberries and similar that get flown in from kenya, isreal and places too far for lorries won't be in the supermarkets in the next day or so. i'm pleased it's not happened in the winter, getting children to eat fruit and veg is difficult enough, without there being only turnips and swedes available :wink:

cjchambers

Postby cjchambers » 18 Apr 2010, 12:00pm

Mick F wrote:I suppose it's a good excuse for not doing it.

Sounds like a good excuse to make it a LEJOGLE :wink:

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 18 Apr 2010, 12:11pm

jan19 wrote:We're on the flight path to Biggin Hill - while it cannot be compared to the large airports it does carry a lot of light planes and executive jets and we've heard only two in the last few days. ...

It seems the light planes are still flying - or not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamp ... 627661.stm

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 18 Apr 2010, 1:48pm

thirdcrank wrote:
jan19 wrote:We're on the flight path to Biggin Hill - while it cannot be compared to the large airports it does carry a lot of light planes and executive jets and we've heard only two in the last few days. ...

It seems the light planes are still flying - or not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamp ... 627661.stm

I flew down to Sywell yesterday, didn't seem any different to usual.

Colin63

Postby Colin63 » 18 Apr 2010, 1:55pm

Mick F wrote:Although it makes me grin and smile and LOVE the way the skies are quiet and clear, one person in particular (Me) is flying to Wick to start his JOGLE in just over four weeks time. :cry:

(I suppose it's a good excuse for not doing it. The thought of riding my Raleigh Chopper E2E is starting to frighten me. :oops: )

I'm sure that we could get together and organise a relayed 'Give Mick a Lift' to Scotland!

It has been lovely with no planes. Where I work is miles and miles from the nearest airport, but directly beneath the polar route from London to the Americas so there's a constant stream of high flying jets and vapour trails. Now it's lovely and quiet. We also get a lot of very low flying military planes (often terrifyingly low) and they're giving it a rest too. Lovely. The last time this happened was after the New York terrorist attacks. Much nicer that it's a volcano this time.

garybaldy

Postby garybaldy » 18 Apr 2010, 3:37pm

I reckon it's Iceland taking revenge on us for asking for our money back.

I can just imagine them lighting the blue touchpaper and standing well back!

jan19

Postby jan19 » 18 Apr 2010, 4:24pm

I reckon it's Iceland taking revenge on us for asking for our money back.

I've heard that a few times now - ironic their own planes can still fly! :D

As regards food - there was a piece on the news yesterday about the exotic foods piling up at their home airports and becoming spoilt. It may be perfectly possible for us to live without these, but as the article pointed out, many of these foodstuffs are produced by very poor people and its their only livelihood. As ever, the picture is far more complex than it might seem.

Now, a lack of coffee being imported would be very very serious...

Jan :D

No planes at all for Biggin Hill today, under the ash cloud or not...

mw3230

Postby mw3230 » 18 Apr 2010, 4:29pm

It's an ill wind ......! :?

Still don't quite understand people's objections to con trails in the sky - not unattractive IMO - but certainly understand about the absence of noise and how you're all enjoying the peace
Retired and loving it