Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome, Dan.

All on your own solos?

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Jdsk wrote:
acute wrote:Hello!
I'm Andra, living in sunny Cardiff.
I used to do a lot more cycling, from my first bike when I was 12, but age and general aches and pains have gradually reduced my miles. I also paint and do calligraphy, and spend much time online, in these strange times.
Current ride - an old Clockwork Orange I've had for years - it just fits me, so have altered it to suit.

Welcome. What's a "Clockwork Orange", please?

Jonathan

PS: Presumably not a Durango 95... ; - )

A Clockwork Orange is a mountain bike from a long-standing firm from Halifax - Orange - well known for sheet metal working and making the frames in Britain.

Quirky and distinctive frames (albeit expensive).
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

markjohnobrien wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
acute wrote:Hello!
I'm Andra, living in sunny Cardiff.
I used to do a lot more cycling, from my first bike when I was 12, but age and general aches and pains have gradually reduced my miles. I also paint and do calligraphy, and spend much time online, in these strange times.
Current ride - an old Clockwork Orange I've had for years - it just fits me, so have altered it to suit.

Welcome. What's a "Clockwork Orange", please?

Jonathan

PS: Presumably not a Durango 95... ; - )

A Clockwork Orange is a mountain bike from a long-standing firm from Halifax - Orange - well known for sheet metal working and making the frames in Britain.

I still ride a 1993 model and recently sold a 1998 P7. They were one of the lightest mountain bikes you could buy at the time and well made with excellent ride qualities. Not sure why they would be quirky unless you consider the wishbone seat stays quirky.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

It was more a reflection of the box like, aluminium sheet metal frames, on some of the full suspension bikes: utilitarian looks.

Of course, the P7 didn’t look like this as it was made traditionally.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

Hello all
New member who is getting back into cycling at 57

My real name: John

Occupation: Project Manager for a Fire Protection Company (Fire Sprinklers)

Favourite colour: Not got one as i'm colourblind :?

Bikes/Cycling: Currently have a B-Twin Triban 500 that i have had for a few years now and debating on an MTB for me and the better half

Interests: Music, guitar, gigs, reading, darts and anything to do with Godzilla :)
Amicus

Post by Amicus »

Hello all
New member, haven't cycled for about 10 years when I did so to school. Want cycling for fitness, hobby and fun.

My real name: Alastair

Favourite colour: British racing green

Bikes/Cycling: None yet, am looking to get one. On here for advice and guidance.

Interests: Clay pigeon shooting, hiking, rugby.
RickH

Post by RickH »

markjohnobrien wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 11:46pmA Clockwork Orange is a mountain bike from a long-standing firm from Halifax - Orange - well known for sheet metal working and making the frames in Britain.

Strictly speaking, isn't it an Orange Clockwork?

I remember Orange coming on the MTB scene. Until about 4 or so years ago I had a Muddy Fox Explorer that I bought new in 1986.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
panda

Post by panda »

I don't usually 'do' forum introductions but hey, why not.

I'm late 50s and live in Shropshire. I've ridden bikes for oooooh, about 55 years, on and off. In the last ten years I've only ridden domestically in Spain - no bike in the UK. Now back in the UK full-time I'm getting used to being on UK roads again, which I have to say is thus far fairly pain-free in rural Shropshire.

Bikes, like cars, I change very infrequently. My last two bikes have been an Overbury's Cross Fell (1986-ish) and a Merlin Malt 4 (2007) which I'm still riding. I intend to get some flavour of road bike pretty soon, and I would also love a cargo bike.

I love being off-road, but I'm happy in country lanes and quiet roads (though I've cycled in Delhi - I'm not afraid of traffic!). Although I'm a bit of a MAMIL, I'm hugely behind the cycling movement - for everyone and every journey. The more people on bikes the better. Joined cycling UK to support the cause and get some insurance cover!

Fun fact: I used to work with Dan ... who started this thread back in 2007!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

What brought you back to blighty from sunny Spain?
I am here. Where are you?
panda

Post by panda »

Cowsham wrote: 21 May 2021, 10:13pm What brought you back to blighty from sunny Spain?
It was always in the plan.
Bob Windsor

Post by Bob Windsor »

Hi All,I'm Bob,I've previously been a member of CTC but in '14 as a consequence of a clot in my left lower leg I had to have my left foot amputated.I'm primarily interested in contact with other amputees for advice on returning to cycling.Thanks for your time.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Welcome Bob
I am here. Where are you?
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

My real name: Ben
Favourite colour: Blue/Purple end of the spectrum.
Bikes/Cycling: Currently on a Decathlon B'Twin Triban 500SE. Formerly belonged to, and seldom ridden by, my younger brother who kindly sold it to me for a low, low price.
Have ridden circa 450 miles over the last 10 weeks since changing jobs, which has given me the chance to commute for the first time ever (since finishing university 6 years ago). It makes a nice change from driving roughly 300 miles a week.
Really getting bitten by the bug, but trying hard to stick to the budget end of things and learn some bike maintenance in these early throws. Bottom bracket is a bit creaky and wheels are a little 'gritty' so will be addressing both of those soon!
Commute is around 6.7 miles each way on the bike, and I'm noting improvements already (with the help of Strava). Originally was around 30+ minutes there, 38-40 minutes back. Now I'm down to around 22-24 there and 28-30 back! There's a nice hill to finish me off on the way home so that's where my time dips a bit... :D
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

Run a small business and looked the other day and thought the ball and chain is getting a bit comfortable, stood on the scales and realized all those steak and chips and pints-need some exercise.
Looking at one of those ebikes and taking the Discovery with a bike carrier so we can have a tear about and a pub meal and a pint.

Also a charity ride, 25 miles a bit of a trek so thinking ride one way and get van to pick us up.