Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Alison_gardner

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by Alison_gardner »

Hi

I was suggested this site through Retrobike to which I've been a member since 2006. My first road bike in the late 80's was a Revell, I wanted the Revell Romany but did not have the funds so bought the level below, although I now own a mountain bike I am building a Dawes Super Galaxy touring bike witch will be modern in it's components, well 9 speed kind of modern :)

Does anyone know why my posts or posts replying to my posts aren't automatically brought to my attention by email??

Alison
Ray

Post by Ray »

Alison_gardner wrote:Does anyone know why my posts or posts replying to my posts aren't automatically brought to my attention by email??

Go into User Control Panel where you should find an option to receive notification of replies to your messages.

Ray

--Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Alison_gardner

Post by Alison_gardner »

Cannot find anything about emails I'm afraid maybe it's just late

Alison
horizon

Post by horizon »

Alison_gardner wrote:Cannot find anything about emails I'm afraid maybe it's just late

Alison

> User control panel
> Board preferences
> Edit posting defaults
> Notify me
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Alison_gardner

Post by Alison_gardner »

Got it, thamks :)

Alison
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thanks for sorting that out properly, horizon. I gave a quick reply in my haste to get to bed; you guys stay up far later than I do :)

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Chrism4444

Post by Chrism4444 »

Hello all

Real name. chris

Job. Part time IT stuff

Ride. Brompton

Age. 42

Lives. Bristol

Cycling goal. Exmouth exodus

Love all day rides and back on the train with a beer, don't work on Fridays so often out cycling or paddling. Sundays are often trips to bath for a burger with my teenage son, spot me making hot chocolate with a camping cooker at the riverside station on the B2B cycle path.

Chris
bikerider

Post by bikerider »

Hello, I'm John. Aged 62. Married to Joy for 12 years.

Address: A village on the edge of High Wycombe

Work: 4 days a week for a double glazing company. I take Wednesdays off to ride wth my local ctc group.

I also ride with the group on Sundays. I started cycling 4 years ago with my wife. The first 7-mile ride I did left me gasping and shattered in my chair for the rest of the evening. I thought I was fit after 10 years of regular weekend walks of 10-15 miles and high hills in the Lake District but cycling takes you up another level. Three years ago I was on a HF walking break and met a ctc holiday leader who told me all about the ctc. Once back at home, I joined.

I own 4 Audax-type bikes, a single speed, a road bike and a tandem. All in ready-to-ride condition. The last 4 years have been spent learning about bikes, stripping down, rebuilding, buying bits on ebay then finding out 'this' doesn't go with 'that'. I'm gradually getting there but it's cost quite a bit in mistakes and just trying different bikes. The pleasure is all mine. My wife has been keeping a record of my on-line spending for the last year. It's staggering how a few quid here and there turns into thousands buts it's on her bikes as well.

I have done several 100-mile day rides and cycling holidays with a base. In 2013, two B&B touring holidays are already booked.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Hi

My name is Paul and I'm 46 from Reading, Berkshire, which is on the edge of the Chiltern's and has some fantastic cycling routes within just a few miles from my front door. I'm only into road bikes but have owned a cyclocross bike for about three years now and I have to say it makes a perfect winter hack and great fun when / if we get any snow, my current bikes are:

Colnago Master X-Lite
Colnago CT1
Gunnar Crosshairs
Dahon Mu-Uno folder (single speed with rear coaster brake only)

I usually get about three devent rides in each week, winter usuall involves an hour or so session down at the outdoor track in Reading or a spin on quiet dark back lanes on the cross bike which is great fun as long as you have decent lights. Sunday normally involves longer outings, distance depending on weather and time of year. Reading to either Widsor or Oxford and back are my two favorites.
Brennan

Post by Brennan »

Name :- Jeff
Age :- 60 (Born again cyclist.........well, we'll see how I get on!)
Interests :- Old motorcycles, my dog, the countryside, guitars and making things from recycled materials.

Hello. I've decided to give cycling another shot as I used to cycle all the time, sometimes competitively, (although I was never very competitive!).
I commuted every day by bike, and spent Sundays pootling (is that even a word?), around the lanes.
About 6 years ago I suffered a severe back injury and have not cycled since. My back is now improving but I have gained 30 lbs in weight. The surgeon I had says cycling will improve the strength
in the muscles around the damaged area of my spine, so it's time to build myself a new bike.
Along with my philosophy of recycling and recommissioning, I intend to build a machine from parts if I can. A bike that will suit me and one that isn't a slave to fashion, i.e., hub gears and parts which don't normally go together.
As long as the parts are compatible, they will be used.
I'll be posting pictures of the build in the "Pictures of your bikes" section.
Roll on some decent weather.
Jeff.
cliveyp

Post by cliveyp »

I've just signed up so should probably do this! Never know, I may meet some of you soon!

REAL NAME - Clive

AGE - 34

OCCUPATION - Project Engineer in the defence industry

INTERESTS - Photography, cars (VW's in particular) and some occasional cycling

FAMILY - Married with a 2 year old daughter, the apple of my eye and the pain in my wallet!

FAV COLOUR - ummm.......grey, black....depends on what its on!

BIKES - 2011 Trek 1.2 and 2002 Giant Boulder (until I can arange my C2W in April).

LOCATION - Worcester

GOALS - To be able to cycle my first century in 2013 and become a lot fitter!

I kick-started back into cycling, after many years of driving everywhere, only a couple of years ago following losing a couple of stone in a diet. I treated myself to the roadie after finding that i was just pounding the roads on my aging Giant, and was keen to go a bit further afield. After completing last years London-Brighton with a couple of friends, the weather turned and I hardly got any decent runs in from Summer onwards. Hopeing this year can be different and I can really make a go of it. Would be good to join some club runs around Worcester, although nervous of hanging off the back of groups that are much fitter than me!!
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Hi all, just found this site and thought I would introduce myself, nice friendly idea (have been on Bike Radar for a while but they do not seem to have this facility)

We live a few miles east of Taunton in Somerset

Cycling since childhood, but nothing serious, would class it all as purely leisure

Have a collection of bikes each - Brompton, Dahon, Trek MTB and Thorn Tourer

Just bought ninth bike, a BH Neo City - to explain, I had a very serious paragliding accident early in 2012 and to aid recovery/physio bought this in August. Has been an absolute godsend and worked wonders. This has been the reason why have had the time to trawl around the internet looking at all these sites - months, flat on my back

Don't know if you have any dedicated threads for electric assist bikes (never thought I would be singing their praises, but, beggars can't be choosers) Couldn't seem to find anything on Bike Radar

Would be good to be able to get in touch with like minded people in the area
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
hondated

Post by hondated »

Just want to say hello to all new users of this site and to add that its a great forum that offers both expertise when it comes to all things cycling and hours of entertainment when reading of others cycling adventures.

Sadly I have been a member for a few years now and never thought of using this thread until now.
Squeezebox

Post by Squeezebox »

Living near Eastbourne. Originally from Leicester

Bikes: Lots!.... some of which listed in the signature for the moment until I think of something witty to change it with (might take a while)....but have a couple of Dawes Galaxys, a tandem, a couple of Bromptons (different specs), a few old bikes, a mountain bike (Trek was the only one I could find at the time for my money that took a rear rack and its great on the South Downs Way), and old Marin mountain bike thats been changed loads and is great for a daily hack....and a few other things around the place. Oh...a unicycle and most usefully a couple of bike trailers as I dont have a car!

Done loads of touring all over the UK and thats really my thing.....espcecially Bikepacking. I also travel everywhere by bike and do all shopping by bike and trailer.

Currently not working, so loads of free time, but no money....so hoping to get some budget touring done this year (2013) whilst I can.

Name ? Squeezebox....well....have been known to play melodeon and concertina for Morris Dancing....but....lets not go there!

Good to be a part of this and hope to join in where I can.....forgive me saying daft things in all the wrong threads until I get the hang of the place.

Best wishes to you all, John
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

hondated wrote:Just want to say hello to all new users of this site and to add that its a great forum that offers both expertise when it comes to all things cycling and hours of entertainment when reading of others cycling adventures.

Sadly I have been a member for a few years now and never thought of using this thread until now.

I'm back from a two month absence, which started with my second bout of laryngitis in 3 months :( No idea why that stopped me visiting the forum, but anyway...

...it's great to be back and I agree wholeheartedly with Hondated about the site being entertaining as well as informative+++. Where else can you read about topics as diverse as the meaning of 12pm and ball bearing quality to the nth degree :wink: Oh, and there was that highly amusing blog by a chap touring in France. Did he ever blog past Day 4? I must check!