Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
tamandua

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Postby tamandua » 12 Aug 2014, 2:20pm

Hi everyone

I'm Peter, long time forum lurker but only just signed up to contribute to the forum. Also thinking about getting CTC membership!

Currently in Bristol. Have always enjoyed building and tinkering with bikes, especially vintage. Getting more interested in and slowly better at long distance riding, could do with a few tips!

Bikes: a pink Special C.N.C, a blue Colner single speed for commuting and a blue Pinarello Montello that only comes out when the sun shines! If you see me say hello!

cheers

HaroldBriercliffe

Postby HaroldBriercliffe » 12 Aug 2014, 2:36pm

Just retired.
Had the ( electric) bike serviced and now have more time to use it.
Downsizing to somewhere a lot flatter soon and, once we do; that battery is coming off.
:D
" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen)

MiniCoop

Postby MiniCoop » 13 Aug 2014, 4:00pm

Hiya,

I used to cycle lots when I lived in London, in an around the city and then further afield at the weekends.
Moved back up North, had some kids and used baby carriers a bit on and off but got out of cycling for pleasure and used the car a lot.
Fast forward a few years and the kids are older and I want to get back into cycling again, I've got an ancient hybrid mountain bike that was passed on when a friend moved abroad and am wanting something new, just doing some research.
Am I rambling? I'm rambling.
Looking forward to chatting to some of you :)

Dangermouse

Postby Dangermouse » 31 Aug 2014, 2:11pm

Hi all

I am new here and just wanted to say hello, I have been involved with cycling for around 30 or so years, doing TT in the 80s but that soon fizzeled out when I realised I wasnt very fast on a bike.
Myself and the wife now simply enjoy getting out on the bikes weather permitting for leisurely but not slow 25-50+ mile rides, well I guess thats the intro over with, now a snap of my current bike.

Last edited by Graham on 31 Aug 2014, 4:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: img tags corrected. Welcome to the forum . Graham.

Lance Dopestrong

Greetings

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 18 Sep 2014, 2:05pm

Howdy.

Long time cyclist, multiple bike owner and qualified mountain bike leader and EMS cycle trainer.

Never been a CTC member before - shame on me - but I have this week taken advantage of CTCs very kind half price membership offer for carers of disabled folk.

Looking forward to hanging around and chilling.
https://themediocrecyclist.home.blog
Self employed MIAS L5.B Instructor.
Warwickshire Lowland Rescue Bike lead.
IPMBA certified member.
Cyctech C2 hammer and crowbar bodger.
Lapsed CTC Ride Leader, amateur hour stuff from the fun old days.

chadders

Postby chadders » 27 Sep 2014, 2:36pm

Hi guys

Been lurking the forum for a while, having just got in to cycling this past year or so. I've picked up a few second hand bikes and learned to fix them up at my local bike co-operative, managed to get my fiancé to cycle at least part of her commute and become a dogmatic fan of steel! I've not long moved house and haven't yet ridden with my local CTC group (Oxford) but plan to next weekend. I suppose I should also join CTC as at the moment I'm a postgraduate student and will enjoy a bit of a discount!

Would love to get in touch with any local members - just drop me a PM. Cheers.

barchetta

Postby barchetta » 29 Sep 2014, 10:19pm

Hello one and all,

Hi I'm a returning cyclist.

My sons nearly 10 is geting into cycling so thougth it was about time we do father son bonding.
He joined our local cycling club and we've done the occasional session.

We done a few road trips along the south coast, some of the downs link, cuckoo trail and the first bit of the avenue verte.
We were blown away by the standards in france!!!

Not sure how i keep his enjoyment up once the weather changes so any advice would be welcome

ttfn.

Stanleybloke

Postby Stanleybloke » 14 Oct 2014, 3:51pm

Hi I'm Stanley, aged 45 and from the Yorkshire area. I help to run a cycling club in the Yorkshire dales and have been cycling since I was a lad. I love the freedom and exhilaration of journeying about on my wheels, nothing beats it :)

hotsauce

Postby hotsauce » 15 Oct 2014, 3:57pm

David, long time lapsed CTC member, must be 25 years!! Have just splashed out and bought a new Thorn tourer but I'm probably looking for advice on a fast touring/sportive type bicycle, as what I know about bicycles is stuck solid in the 1980's :D

Anyone remember Flite Transalp saddles!!? I used to love the way they looked and rode.

ianpallen

New to the forum

Postby ianpallen » 12 Nov 2014, 11:30am

Hi. I am in Leicester.
52 years old
Unfit and a bit heavier since been on the sick from work.
Bought a couple of bikes and thinking about riding mine.
The other one i gave my son.
I am thinking of doing a cycle camping tour next year with my son.
Got to get some fitness back first. lol.

Read one get one free [ Graham ] . . .

Hi, I have just joined the forum and have been looking for an 'introduction' part, but cannot find one. i hope this is the right place.
My name is Ian and I live in Leicester Uk. I am out of shape and not ridden properly for many years. lol. I have rebuilt a few bikes recently and also restored some vintage racers.
I have not long bought a pair of bikes of my mate, who got them from Germany while moving a couple and they gave him the bikes.
They are a 'his & her' bikes and a matching pair. I have given my son one as he will (an does) ride it and he loves it.
My bike is the one on the left. I think they are hybrid, but also think they are Touring bikes. They are 27 speed with 700c wheels. All aluminium frame and wheels. Front suspension and seat stem suspension. Dynamo lights, pump, stand and rear rack were all on the bikes. I have put panniers on both bikes and also bought a child carrier trailer to use as a cargo trailer. I will be buying a cargo trailer as they are narrower than a child carrier. The child carrier trailer has to be set up outside as it is too wide to go through the doors of my house fully set up. I have bought a tag along trailer to convert into a pannier carrier.
Here is a close up of my bike.
I rode it home and found it very comfortable to ride. I used my sons bike two days ago as it has the hitch for the trailer as I used the trailer to carry a hamster cage and hamster home. I walked home as when I got to the peoples house, I went dizzy and thought I was going to pass out. I have not rode a bike at a distance for over 30 years.

urchaidh

Postby urchaidh » 18 Nov 2014, 8:24pm

Edinburgh resident, cycle commuter, one time mountain biker and small time tourer, never really got the road thing. Two small kids who've just graduated from tandem trailer to their own bikes. Occasional poster on City Cycling Edinburgh and a bit of a fraud here as I just joined here to try and sell some panniers (sorry) - but have already discovered some interesting threads so may lurk a bit longer. Charlie.

sammyl1000

Postby sammyl1000 » 29 Nov 2014, 1:39pm

Hi all. New to the forum. Cyclist on and off for all of my life. I have been riding regularly now for the last 2 years.
Audax is now my primary interest as I'm now 33 and seem to have missed the boat on racing.
I will be doing some cycle camping this coming year along with planning a trip from East to West along Norther Spain.
Hopefully I can both add some advice but probably more inclined to ask for the expert knowledge of others.

cathie

Postby cathie » 12 Dec 2014, 6:58am

Hi everyone,
Looking forward to getting to know you all.
I use my real name, so you can call me Cathie. (Do I sound like Alice from Vicar of Dibley?).
I live in a cold, windy, very hilly part of Australia: Katoomba in the Blue Mountains, 100km west of Sydney. It's beautiful, but I don't ride a lot here, but I love to travel to other parts of Oz to ride along rail trails or designated bike paths (we have none of those here).
I've also done some touring in Thailand (Chiang Mai-Bangkok, on a supported tour) and Europe (St Malo-The Netherlands-Germany-Prague, Canal de Garonne, Canal du Midi, the Danube from Ulm to Budapest and a lovely ride from Strasbourg to Nancy). Very much hoping to ride in the UK soon, but next year we're going to try Japan (Tokyo-Fukuoka). The mountain passes scare me a bit!
I am retired but I teach and perform belly dance. This however, does not help with my co-ordination on a bike. I've ridden far and have the bruises to prove it.
Cheers!

Lambretta

Postby Lambretta » 16 Dec 2014, 12:35pm

Hi.
I am a member of bikeradar but I am sick of not being able to log into the forum since they changed to beta.So I decided to find another forum and
followed a link from Londoncyclist's top ten forums and here I am :D

I have a giant defy 1 which I purchased recently to replace my very old Raleigh pursuit and also a british eagle mountain bike I have had for many years.

I am 47 and live in North Wales.

RogerThat

Postby RogerThat » 18 Dec 2014, 1:09pm

Hi

I'm Roger, long time Lfgss forum member, just popped on to see what all this touring malarkey is about!

Observer of bad cycling behavior on a daily basis, am organising a city cycling safety day in March 2015.

Owner of three bikes, two cats and a new boy!

1. Vitus Vee-1 Single speed off roader.

2. 1951 Holdsworth Cyclone

3. Granby track bike (from Herne Hill)