Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
John100

Re: hello

Post by John100 »

Welcome. Yes a lot of helpful people and info on here. However reading the forum could seriously impact on time for cycling!!!!!
eileithyia

Re: hello

Post by eileithyia »

Welcome
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
alex1987

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by alex1987 »

New to the forum! Been lurking on and off and thought I'd take the plunge!

Got back on the saddle towards the end of 2016 and fell back in love! Still rocking my humble but reliable alloy Synapse, of which I might add a photo in the relative thread.

Got the back for commuting but have enjoyed many a longer ride on weekends and the odd weekend away on the bike for a night or two. Right knee has been a bit dodgy but hoping to get that sorted and up the mileage for 2018, having done a century in kms would love to take it up one notch and do a proper century in miles..!
paddler

Post by paddler »

Hi,

I've been enjoying this forum for a while now, its a great source of info. Thought I'd better introduce myself finally. I'm retiring this month after 28 years as a telephone engineer and am hoping to do some touring. My background has been hiking and canoeing. I have done a few canoeing trips in Algonquin park, Sweden and Scotland and plenty of hiking including through hiking The Appalachian Trail in 2014. I'm hoping to keep doing all of that as well, but that will depend on the money situation!

Dave
AugustusWindsock

Post by AugustusWindsock »

Hello all.

Not sure what to say really. I'm an old chap - 51 to be precise. I seem to love the idea of cycling rather than the actually doing of it and thought that joining in here might help galvanise me into some kind of two-wheeled activity. I've spent many recent evenings reading about cycling (and occasionally watching it on telly) but very little time on the bike. I'm rather overweight and have spent the last month on a diet while trying to build up some minimal fitness on our exercise bike.

I have an old Marin Muirwoods, steel-framed hybrid that I love pootling about on. I even commute during the drier, warmer months but as this is only a three-mile trip I don't think I win many points for effort. I've always had this thing about it being too small. I'm a short, fat fellow so in order to get any kind of stand-over clearance I have to get the smallest possible frame. The overall effect looks like a gorilla riding a child's bike!

My brother is a fully-formed, carbon-fibre impregnated roadie type who covers staggering mileage and heights in the Lake District and, much though I love the idea of tearing about on a drop-bar bike, the thought of helmets and those clipless pedals terrifies me. I think a more realistic goal would be a 10 mile ride on my old Augustus Windsock (wish I'd used that as my username now!) special but even that seems daunting.

Anyway, I'll shut the heck up now. Probably the rambliest introduction ever and I apologise. Will try not to use this group as some kind of psychotherapy substitute and learn something useful instead.

Thanks, Brendan
The forum member formerly, and briefly, known as Omloop
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Omloop
Welcome to the forum,you come across as feeling quite self conscious.
Don't be,get on the bike and enjoy it :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
AugustusWindsock

reohn2 wrote:Omloop
Welcome to the forum,you come across as feeling quite self conscious.
Don't be,get on the bike and enjoy it :)

Thanks @reohn2

Sorry for coming across as a bit of an idiot - can't believe I wrote so much.

I guess I've just never seen myself as someone at home with excercise fiends and healthy living types, hence the discomfort. Everyone I know with a bike just seems able to jump on the thing and dash of a quick 40, 50, 60k before breakfast!

You are however right about just needing to get on with it. Thanks again.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Omloop wrote:I guess I've just never seen myself as someone at home with excercise fiends and healthy living types, hence the discomfort. Everyone I know with a bike just seems able to jump on the thing and dash of a quick 40, 50, 60k before breakfast!

Meet some more relaxed riders. 40k is a nice half day ride and time for a lunch stop :)

Riding before breakfast - what a notion! ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
AugustusWindsock

mjr wrote:
Omloop wrote:I guess I've just never seen myself as someone at home with excercise fiends and healthy living types, hence the discomfort. Everyone I know with a bike just seems able to jump on the thing and dash of a quick 40, 50, 60k before breakfast!

Meet some more relaxed riders. 40k is a nice half day ride and time for a lunch stop :)

Riding before breakfast - what a notion! ;)

40k would be a nasty, half-week ride with time for a stop in intensive care for me.
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

Morning all. Found this forum whilst looking for stuff on recumbent trikes, so been nosing around since.
Took up cycling again after a 20+ year break as an aide to quit the 25 year habit of smoking, I needed a measure of improving health. Many health problems later I find myself as a year round commuter (circa 20 miles/day) and general cyclist of varied machines. Largely road cycling, but enjoy the trails and mtb stuff with my kids, and a bit of fun with an ICE recumbent too.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

Little and often I was told by a colleague.....and that includes cycling !!

I try to get out as much as possible during the summer , work permitting, and through the winter I ''get out on my turbo trainer' cycling all over the world.. The odd venture onto The Fells during winter helps to clear the head every now and again but for me its too dangerous to get out on the road at this time of year..
Just enjoy the ride, no matter how far you get...Even if its just down the road to the paper shop...its cycling :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

AugustusWindsock wrote:Hello all.

Not sure what to say really. I'm an old chap - 51 to be precise. I seem to love the idea of cycling rather than the actually doing of it and thought that joining in here might help galvanise me into some kind of two-wheeled activity. I've spent many recent evenings reading about cycling (and occasionally watching it on telly) but very little time on the bike. I'm rather overweight and have spent the last month on a diet while trying to build up some minimal fitness on our exercise bike.

I have an old Marin Muirwoods, steel-framed hybrid that I love pootling about on. I even commute during the drier, warmer months but as this is only a three-mile trip I don't think I win many points for effort.

51 is not old! (Otherwise I'm old in a few months & couldn't stand that ;) )

I'm not out to win points for effort. I love riding my bike, but I'm not at all competitive about it. I'd rather pootle along, stop and take pictures, have a coffee and enjoy a view, etc.

I think it's great if you are doing a 3 mile commute, even occasionally. The more you do it, the easier it will get.

It's far better to have a leisurely ride on a bike, than it is to sit on your backside, so take credit for what you do, rather than thinking about what you don't do, or thinking it's not worth bothering about.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Spring chickens the lot of you. At 71 I'm slowing down but I still did 6500 km last year including a couple of 200k rides. Plenty do more.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

Audax67 wrote:Spring chickens the lot of you. At 71 I'm slowing down but I still did 6500 km last year including a couple of 200k rides. Plenty do more.

welcome to the friendliest cycling forum ever :)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

cyclemad wrote:
Audax67 wrote:Spring chickens the lot of you. At 71 I'm slowing down but I still did 6500 km last year including a couple of 200k rides. Plenty do more.

welcome to the friendliest cycling forum ever :)

+1!
I have several times more friends here than I have in my "real life", we learn and laugh a lot on these fora :D :? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies