Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
MrCJF

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by MrCJF »

I've only just discovered this page after making a few posts. I've used Bike Radar forums for years, but find it's less and less useful (especially with the UCI season decimated), and i'm a Cycling UK member.

I got into cycling with the kids when they were small, but then they lost the enthusiasm for it. I also got into cycyle commutting (3 miles) for a while. After changing jobs I stopped riding, until I was signed off sick with work related stress. Among the many bits of advice from the GP was to exercise in green spaces, which turned out to be the most helpful bit of advice I recieved. I now have a job with a choice of road and canal commutting routes.

I've done a few sportives, but with a 12 - 14 mile each way commute, that tends to use up my energy most weeks.

I have a Genesis CdF (that's it's full name - not Croix de Fer) and last year I got a Boardman ADV specifically for the commute.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

welcome paul.
You'll be healthier for not being a pro cyclist, or harbouring ambitions to become a weekend one.
Sweep
parmos

Post by parmos »

New Member here 46 yr old (well on monday i will be) from the North East smoggy land

Cycled on and off since the mid 90s mainly Mountain biked but in recent years after years of heavy weight training and doing odd duathlons here and there, i am spending a lot more time on the saddle again already done 2500 miles this year and hoping it carries on into the winter months.

Type of riding these days is whatever takes my fancy really as i own 5 bikes (hybrid, 2 Full suspension, hardtail, and a gravel bike) only recently bought the gravel bike i replaced a PlanetX Pro-Carbon road bike with the gravel bike and absolutely fell in love with it, i can road bike on it then fly off road so versatile :D

cheers
GeekDadZoid

Post by GeekDadZoid »

Evening All

New member to the forum and CUK. I have taken a family membership out as we really want to get the kids on the bike more.

I am 39 next week and with the return to the office on the card next month I am looking to replace my walk & train commute with commuting by bike. I have done it a few times before so no the route it reasonable and takes around the same time as the train/walk combo. Look like I will only be commuting 2/3 times a week too so should be ideal.

I currently have two bikes a Saracen Ventura 2 Hybrid, this was a bargain buy a few years ago and I really enjoy riding it, gives me the right balance of speed on the road and ability to take it off road as required, I have some old school bar ends fitted to it which give me some extra hand positions, I have a rear seat fitted for my youngest too. We haven't been on too many rides yet but he loves it so far. Got a few jobs to do to it to get it ready for more riding time, the front forks need replacing as the suspension is coming to the end of its useful life, I have managed to get NOS of the same part so got that ready to fit when I have a spare day, will replace the bearings at the same time too. I also need to get some mudguards and pannier rack fitted.

I also have a cheap Raleigh Folding bike, one of the generic Halfords ones, I picked it up for very little money as a lockdown project and its now perfectly rideable, but could do with a few more tweaks, managed to use salvaged parts from everything expect a new gear & brake cables. Its nothing fancy but ideal for throwing into the boot of the car to take away camping when we cannot take the big bike and at least I can pop to the shops etc on it.

Anyway enough waffle.
Magpies

Post by Magpies »

Hello from Cambridgeshire!
I'm a regular on CycleChat under the same user name, and am looking forward to posting on this forum.
I've been cycling for many years, both for daily commuting and for leisure. Most of my leisure cycling now is on my audax bike built by Spa. Nothing I like better than roaming the flat, open fen landscapes on this comfortable fast tourer design. Thanks Colin531!
I've learnt quite a bit lurking on this forum for a few years already, which has helped me fettle my bikes and enjoy my cycling.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

GeekDadZoid wrote:Evening All

New member to the forum and CUK. I have taken a family membership out as we really want to get the kids on the bike more.

I am 39 next week and with the return to the office on the card next month I am looking to replace my walk & train commute with commuting by bike. I have done it a few times before so no the route it reasonable and takes around the same time as the train/walk combo. Look like I will only be commuting 2/3 times a week too so should be ideal.

I currently have two bikes a Saracen Ventura 2 Hybrid, this was a bargain buy a few years ago and I really enjoy riding it, gives me the right balance of speed on the road and ability to take it off road as required, I have some old school bar ends fitted to it which give me some extra hand positions, I have a rear seat fitted for my youngest too. We haven't been on too many rides yet but he loves it so far. Got a few jobs to do to it to get it ready for more riding time, the front forks need replacing as the suspension is coming to the end of its useful life, I have managed to get NOS of the same part so got that ready to fit when I have a spare day, will replace the bearings at the same time too. I also need to get some mudguards and pannier rack fitted.

I also have a cheap Raleigh Folding bike, one of the generic Halfords ones, I picked it up for very little money as a lockdown project and its now perfectly rideable, but could do with a few more tweaks, managed to use salvaged parts from everything expect a new gear & brake cables. Its nothing fancy but ideal for throwing into the boot of the car to take away camping when we cannot take the big bike and at least I can pop to the shops etc on it.

Anyway enough waffle.

I have one of those wee Raleigh folders -- useful thing.
I am here. Where are you?
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Hello, all Newbies - welcome to the madhouse.

It would interest me (and I'm the important one in my life) to know where you all reside/live/lodge/camp/squat/inhabit, so a request that you complete this part of your personal information (together with your inside leg measurement).

I can then continue with my Government-funded research program of mapping the locations of Touring Cyclists. It don't pay much, but it's better than working for a living.

Happy days,
Attachments
The grand idea..jpg
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Good afternoon all,

New to the forum and Cycling UK,so I just thought I'd pop in and say hi.

I've recently started cycling again after being a fairly avid road cyclist as a kid and mountain biker in my late 20's. I'm a bit older now, and I've started commuting (just as summer turns to autumn; probably not the best time). My commute is only 10km (each way) through the centre of Lincoln, but it's got a lovely hill at either end, which certainly gets my blood pumping at 0645 in the morning, plus the 100km a week is certainly helping my fitness.

I ride a Carrera Subway hybrid (v-brake version), which I do all my own maintenance on. It's not the lightest bike in the World, but it's pretty robust. I've had it for about 7 years, and used it fairly sporadically in that time. About a month ago I kitted it out with SPD's, (I use road shoes with 2-bolt SPD cleats), and I'm about to fit a set of mudguards for the winter months. It's only a 14-speed (12-32 & 32/44), so not a massive range of gears, but I just about get by. I certainly run out of cogs doing downhill at 70kph though :wink:

I do have a niggling problem with the rear mech which is causing me grief. The limit screws like to move incrementally and ever so slightly every time I drop onto the small cog, until eventually (at the most inconvenient times) the chain comes off and gets suck between cassette and dropout. I've taken to checking it weekly, but even that isn't often enough. I'm sure I can fix it with a good de-greasing and a dollop of threadlock.

I've had more than a few near misses, none of which have been any fault of mine, but I'm getting better at anticipating danger (maybe developing a sixth-sense?). But rather than be all doom and gloom about the antics of other road users, I see it as the odd one or two idiots spoiling it for everyone else. For the most part people are pretty good (although the guy in the BMW estate last week at the junction of Nettleham Road.......... :x :wink: ).

Cheers,

Chris.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

ChrisP100 wrote:Good afternoon all,

New to the forum and Cycling UK,so I just thought I'd pop in and say hi.

I've recently started cycling again after being a fairly avid road cyclist as a kid and mountain biker in my late 20's. I'm a bit older now, and I've started commuting (just as summer turns to autumn; probably not the best time). My commute is only 10km (each way) through the centre of Lincoln, but it's got a lovely hill at either end, which certainly gets my blood pumping at 0645 in the morning, plus the 100km a week is certainly helping my fitness.

I ride a Carrera Subway hybrid (v-brake version), which I do all my own maintenance on. It's not the lightest bike in the World, but it's pretty robust. I've had it for about 7 years, and used it fairly sporadically in that time. About a month ago I kitted it out with SPD's, (I use road shoes with 2-bolt SPD cleats), and I'm about to fit a set of mudguards for the winter months. It's only a 14-speed (12-32 & 32/44), so not a massive range of gears, but I just about get by. I certainly run out of cogs doing downhill at 70kph though :wink:

I do have a niggling problem with the rear mech which is causing me grief. The limit screws like to move incrementally and ever so slightly every time I drop onto the small cog, until eventually (at the most inconvenient times) the chain comes off and gets suck between cassette and dropout. I've taken to checking it weekly, but even that isn't often enough. I'm sure I can fix it with a good de-greasing and a dollop of threadlock.

I've had more than a few near misses, none of which have been any fault of mine, but I'm getting better at anticipating danger (maybe developing a sixth-sense?). But rather than be all doom and gloom about the antics of other road users, I see it as the odd one or two idiots spoiling it for everyone else. For the most part people are pretty good (although the guy in the BMW estate last week at the junction of Nettleham Road.......... :x :wink: ).

Cheers,

Chris.

Welcome Chris.
Slothman

Hi...

Post by Slothman »

Hi everyone, it's good to be here and I hope I can both give and take to and from this community as the time goes by. :hello:
I confess to perhaps being a little premature in as much as not having a bike yet, actually that's not strictly true as I do have a MTB. It's a 2003 (I think) Claude Butler Cape Wrath 18" frame. I don't really use it as I find it uncomfortable on my shoulders and hands for road use (which is what I plan).
Looking at it as a cup half full though, it's in superb condition!

Anyway, let me rewind a little. I am 57 (13st 5'8") and have been running for over 20 years (not without a rest obviously) but I've never really been a 'serious' runner and only ran for fitness and escaping hordes of lusty woman after my body....ok I may be exaggerating slightly about the women....or perhaps a lot....and...perhaps even to the point of it being a complete lie :? :whistle:
So, back to the point, as I get older I am finding that running is putting too much stress on my joints and specifically my hips and Achilles, not so much my knees although they do play up sometimes but mainly when my shoes are on their way out.
However, before I commit myself to the Derbyshire home for the old, wobbly, creaky and delusional I thought I'd look at maintaining my fitness (or at the moment getting it back) by way of cycling?
Now as I said my previous experience of cycling was not particularly good s I found it painful and uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I expect different muscle groups to play up but I'm talking about serious shoulder burn/cramp and tingling/numb hands. I also felt violated by the saddle after even short rides of around 2 miles or so, at one point it was so bad I almost needed counselling.
I understand that these issues may be due, at least in part to poor set up or configuration of my riding position (although it was set up for me by the shop after the last service) but either way, I think also that a MTB is not ideal for long rides on the road.
So, I'm looking at getting a road bike, second hand and perhaps after Christmas.
I don't know much at all about this hobby/sport so after Googling I think that perhaps an 'endurance' or 'sportive' road bike may suit me as they are apparently configured more for comfort and long distance, mainly by flex in the frame and frame shape angles etc. The downside is that they do seem awfully expensive so unless there are (much) cheaper options or great used deals I may have to re-think.
I'm not after breaking any records or even joining a club, certainly not at this point but I do want to cover some distance in relative comfort.
I am a bloke though so like all us blokes I like my toys and want something that looks decent and isn't too bottom of the range.
So there you are, I'm hoping to annoy you all with stupid questions but don't despair, I fully expect a few stupid answers so we're going to get along just fine :wink:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Claude Butler Cape Wrath --- doesn't look too bad a bike -- I'd put touring tyres on it, get your weight distribution on it right ( ie not too upright it'll hurt if too much weight on your bum )then find the saddle that suits you best at that angle. You'll be surprised how comfy that owl thing could be. Weight doesn't matter too much unless your a young thoroughbred lean racing machine. Some road bikes are bone shakers and that's not good at our age.
StelvioStu

Post by StelvioStu »

I'm new to the forum and trying to get back into cycling with my partner after quite a while away. To make it easier (I'm 62 and not as fit as I was), I've installed Yose 700C rear hub kits to my Rourke and partner's Roberts steel bikes to help on the inclines. So far so good....apart from a puncture on my second ride (now fitted Schwalbe Marathon Plus), we've had 3 or 4 short rides with a max of 48km last Sunday. Really enjoying the assistance on the hills and the battery life seems quite good so far, helped I'm sure by keeping mostly in power level 3 (of 5). In some ways I feel like we're cheating but it is making us tackle and enjoy longer rides again so that's fine by me :D
SLF78

Post by SLF78 »

Good morning,
Cyclist,runner,walker,camper and general outdoorsy person.Semi-retired living the dream in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales.Currently missing sitting in the pub beside a nice fire with a pint of decent ale after a day out in the hills.I'm not sure if anyone will find my ramblings remotely interesting but I'll give it a go.

Dom.
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Hello/Bonjour
My name is Pascal but I prefer Paz.I’m the better side of identical twins born in Edinburgh to English/French parents.Spent my early years in France but now live here in the UK.Passonate about all things cycle related but am always torn on who to support come Tour time so I usually opt for all UK and French riders.Looking forward to contributing and hopefully learning a bit too.

Paz.
Lazycarton

Post by Lazycarton »

Having started a thread recently I thought I should introduce myself.
I am Rob and I live in the Three Counties region on the borders of Surrey/W.Sussex and Hants. I started cycling over 30 years ago on the advice of my GP when I went to him with problems with my knees from too much road running. Once I started I never stopped. I retired about 18 months ago and ride normally every other day. There are a lot of routes in the area that take you on less congested roads and there is lots of off road if you want it.

I just hope that I can continue to ride for may years to come as it really is the best medicine anyone can take.