Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Niallmo

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by Niallmo »

Hey!

I'm Niall, 40 years old and married with a nigh on 2 year old son and another about 2 months away. I came back to cycling around my 40th birthday last July to get fit and get out of the house. I've not got lots of bikes, not sure I want to count them!

Let's see...
Road:
2015 Carrera Vanquish
1985 Raleigh Team Corsa 12
1971-73 Carlton Corsa
1980 Carlton Grand Prix

MTB:
2015 Charge Cooker 1
1990 Alpinestars Alpine LX
1990's MBK Adventure

2008 Mongoose Subject BMX
2007 Giant FRS 3.0 Hybrid.

I've done about 1000 miles since I've been back and I'm loving being on the bikes.
gwcycling

Post by gwcycling »

Hello,

Just stopping by to say hi, i live in sunny Adelaide Australia and we have just enjoyed another Tour Down Under event, so the cycling buzz is quite hi at the moment. Any other adelaide riders on here?
My Main Bike: Azzurri Forza Pro Di2
My Project Bike: Peugeot Racing Club 1988
james.freeman

Post by james.freeman »

Hello everyone,

This seemed like the best place to say a quick hello, before I post on one of the other boards.

Following the format of previous posts...

Name: James

Occupation: Curator of medieval manuscripts and early printed books

Cycling experience: first as a kid, then a teenager (delivering newspapers; do they even do that any more?), then as a student, and now as a commuter. Experienced, then, but a total newbie to cycle touring - so I'm here to look for some advice and reassurance!

Single, no ties, no dependents, and I'm changing job at the end of this month, and have six weeks before I start in my new one...so I'm thinking it's time for a serious bit of travelling. My brother lives in Montana, so I'm going to visit him (I've been hoping to do this for about ten years, but the timing never seems to be right) - and I'm wondering about getting a touring bike and flying out there to do some travelling around on the open road.

Not especially whizzy at bike maintenance, but I'm pretty handy, so I think I could learn well enough! Anyway, I'll post about this is in more detail in the relevant forum.
Ambrosiafruitcake

Post by Ambrosiafruitcake »

My real name: Just ask :P

Favourite colour: purple

Bikes/Cycling: I have 1 bike and it's a hybrid. In all honesty I don't really know the different between all these types of bikes :)

Interesting fact: I love learning languages.
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

New to cycle touring.

Likes: Italian country lanes, Red Wine, a quiet bicycle, all things Campagnolo.

Dislikes: Punctures, films that end abruptly, goats cheese, being at the back on a hill climb, ask things Strava!

Very much impressed by the re-brand, which is what initially attracted me to the site and hopefully become a full paid up member shortly. Interested in rights for cyclists and the introduction of 'presumed liability' for all motorists in regards to accidents with cyclists. Have lived abroad extensively and can't believe British riders aren't more radical in opposition to the measly hand up we get from the UK government. Storm the barricades!!
Spoodledude

Post by Spoodledude »

Hi guys, just registered, I'm rediscovering cycling after 30 odd years off a bike!

My real name: Neil

Occupation: Formerly a psychiatric nurse, now a Company Director with very little to do

Favourite colour: Red

Bikes/Cycling: I bought a G Tech ebike in December just to get me moving and immediately took to it. After a while I decided to get the old mountain bike out of the shed and seriously tired myself out doing road work on it, a friend let me borrow his Cannondale road bike and 200 metres into my first outing on it I was hooked. Two weeks ago I picked up my Specialized Roubaix, the all black model that Batman would ride if he had a bike. Loving it!

Interesting fact: I'm a birdwatcher and I've been birding on all 7 continents and seen almost 4,000 species of bird.
Danjog

Post by Danjog »

My real name: Daniel

Bikes/Cycling: I'm a roadie and a mountain biker, however, I don't have an MTB at the moment :(

I'm a South African, just moved to Northallerton from Dubai, after spending 5 years in a sandpit... wanting to go out riding, perhaps join a club around here...
Freewheeling Jack

Post by Freewheeling Jack »

Thanks for adding me here. I am 60 and ride a Giant Hybrid and a Trek SS and a old Peugeot 12 speed heavy weight monster! Also, I am looking for folks to ride with during the week as retired early and fed-up of cycling alone. I live in the North-West of England near Warrington/St Helens.
Scottishgaucho

Post by Scottishgaucho »

I'm a 59 year old Glaswegian who has been living in Argentina for the last 9 years. Really retired but part of my wife's family interests here involves breeding Hereford cattle so I help out with that although I'm probably more of a hindrance than anything else. :D
A touring cyclist in days gone by especially at weekends when I'd head up past Loch Lomond to either camp or use a bothy. Still have my Claud Butler Sierra although I don't use it as often as I should. Mainly because here in Buenos Aires province the roads are flat, straight, boring and pretty dangerous.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Hello

Paul

Sheffield.

Steel Worker.

After 30 odd years of messing around on Mountain Bikes and the odd dabble on the road I sold my MTBs last year and decided to give Road riding a proper go and joined a couple of local CCs.

My son (8) has just got his first Road/CX bike (Frog67 Team Sky livery) and has really got the cycling bug,he too is a member of a local CC and is looking to do a bit of CX racing 8)
oldun

Post by oldun »

Hello...
My name is John and have just recently joined this forum

Married.

72 years old

Adventurous (still).

Love my bike just a bit less than i love my wife ( but the bike only cost 125 Euros ).

Now live in Suffolk ( after 20 years living in France ).

Bike is a cheapo Nakamura cliffhanger VTT ( velo Toutes Terrains ) that has to date done more than 4,500 klm without any problems .including a few hundred klms on tracks in Morocco ..800 klms St Jacques de Compostella route ...Canal du Midi ...C2C etc etc.

Adventures ..6 years ago backpacking in India/Nepal (would go back in a heart beat ,but wife is all travelled out ). 7 years ago walked the Lycian way in Turkey . 5 years ago cycled a few hundred klms in the Atlas mountains in Morocco . On several occasions i have driven to.... Senegal...Mauritania...Mali...Niger...Algeria..The Gambia .

Have at least one more long distance ride in me while i am still in my youth :D ( in the planning stage ) .

Not a good cyclist but i just love it :(
Last edited by oldun on 9 Jun 2016, 12:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
kendoon

Post by kendoon »

Hi

My name is Kenny, I'm from the Scottish borders. Interested in mountain biking and lightweight cycle touring. Trying the Massif Central on for size this summer! I'm 43 years old, work in biomedical engineering.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning as much as I can about touring and equipment from the forum.
Shoyu

New here

Post by Shoyu »

Hi, new here. I enjoy a leisurely cycle (not too many hills thanks), nothing too serious. I'm helping my daughter get to grips with it all on a bike a neighbour gave us before she gets a shiny new one for her birthday. I will probably have some really irritating questions!
DaveLewis

Post by DaveLewis »

Dave Lewis, Welsh writer

Like mountain biking around Wales trails and the odd road bike trip about once every eleven years. Doing a charity ride for Prostate Cancer this August, will post details later if that's allowed.

50 years young in a week. From Pontypridd - http://www.pontytown.co.uk - South Wales.

Cheers Dave

http://www.david-lewis.co.uk
Last edited by Graham on 16 Jun 2016, 4:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Best not to advise us to wear a plastic hat in your first post here. Please see the plastic hat section in Campaigning section.
speers

just to introduce myself.

Post by speers »

:D hello all avid cyclists, i'm new to the forum but not new to cycling having been cycling all my life and worked for shops as a mechanic.
I feel I may be able to contribute to the forum, having a great love of helping fellow cyclists out and I'm also always willing to learn too.