Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by Cowsham »

Lazycarton wrote:Having started a thread recently I thought I should introduce myself.
I am Rob and I live in the Three Counties region on the borders of Surrey/W.Sussex and Hants. I started cycling over 30 years ago on the advice of my GP when I went to him with problems with my knees from too much road running. Once I started I never stopped. I retired about 18 months ago and ride normally every other day. There are a lot of routes in the area that take you on less congested roads and there is lots of off road if you want it.

I just hope that I can continue to ride for may years to come as it really is the best medicine anyone can take.

Too right - I've proved Dr bike manys a time.
I am here. Where are you?
GrahamJ

Post by GrahamJ »

Slothman wrote:I do have a MTB. It's a 2003 (I think) Claude Butler Cape Wrath 18" frame. I don't really use it as I find it uncomfortable on my shoulders and hands for road use (which is what I plan).
Looking at it as a cup half full though, it's in superb condition!

Mine isn't.
DSCI0009.JPG

I live near Cape Wrath, which is partly why I chose it. I have no idea what happened to the finish, or whether the damage went deeper, but it seemed best to buy a new bike when the drive train wore out...

I am new to the forum too by the way, so hello all.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

Whereabouts are you? There are some real experts here on good routes through and around London.

Jonathan
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

I am Andy. I live in Fife, having returned from about ten years of working overseas a few months ago.

I like bicycles.
MrsArmitage

Post by MrsArmitage »

Hi everyone,
My real name is Emma, my username is what my family call me when I try and fix/attach things to bikes (c.f. Quentin Blake book). And my bike is called Millicent, on account of we have a family tradition of naming bikes after Suffragettes/Suffragists, because when my mum was at university no-one bothered to lock up their bikes and there weren't any custom bike racks; then her bike was stolen so she got a new one and a big lock to chain it to the railings, which was considered unusual and resulted in her bike becoming known as Christabel.

I use my bike for generally and miscellaneously getting around, in North London where I live (which involves a surprising number of hills) and occasionally to get out of London along the River Lee. I avoid public transport at the best of times and cycle instead; now there's fewer journeys to make but I'm avoiding the tube even more.

I used to have a BSA Westcoast women's hybrid bike (Sylvia) which I'd had since I was a teenager (approx. 15 years - I am 31) and had gradually learned to fix everything as it fell apart until it was as good as new, but then it got stolen because of lockdown and I was wary of trying to buy another decent-but-relatively-cheap bike online without being able to try it and see if it was great like mine or awful like my mum's bike, which looked about the same on paper. So I decided finally to follow the advice of colleagues who (on encountering Sylvia in the bike store) had been asking why I didn't get myself a lighter bike with more gears for years.

So I now have a new Specialized Sirrus 1.0 (probably 2021 version but not 100% sure), which is great (once I've got the hang of all those gears...) but needs a few things resolving. So, in choosing the bike and sorting stuff out I've found this forum very useful, and am joining now to ask a few questions I can't quite find the answer to but I reckon most people here will just know.

I also have a terrible little purple bike that I bought from a neighbour to cover the gap between the old bike being stolen and getting the new one; it has basically disintegrated (prognosis of a local Bike Man: "This bike needs a new everything. But for goodness sakes don't bother getting a new anything - just get a new bike.") So I might also need some ideas on what to do with that other than let it continue to disintegrate at the back of the shed!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

MrsArmitage wrote:Hi everyone,
My real name is Emma, my username is what my family call me when I try and fix/attach things to bikes (c.f. Quentin Blake book). And my bike is called Millicent, on account of we have a family tradition of naming bikes after Suffragettes/Suffragists, because when my mum was at university no-one bothered to lock up their bikes and there weren't any custom bike racks; then her bike was stolen so she got a new one and a big lock to chain it to the railings, which was considered unusual and resulted in her bike becoming known as Christabel.

I use my bike for generally and miscellaneously getting around, in North London where I live (which involves a surprising number of hills) and occasionally to get out of London along the River Lee. I avoid public transport at the best of times and cycle instead; now there's fewer journeys to make but I'm avoiding the tube even more.

I used to have a BSA Westcoast women's hybrid bike (Sylvia) which I'd had since I was a teenager (approx. 15 years - I am 31) and had gradually learned to fix everything as it fell apart until it was as good as new, but then it got stolen because of lockdown and I was wary of trying to buy another decent-but-relatively-cheap bike online without being able to try it and see if it was great like mine or awful like my mum's bike, which looked about the same on paper. So I decided finally to follow the advice of colleagues who (on encountering Sylvia in the bike store) had been asking why I didn't get myself a lighter bike with more gears for years.

So I now have a new Specialized Sirrus 1.0 (probably 2021 version but not 100% sure), which is great (once I've got the hang of all those gears...) but needs a few things resolving. So, in choosing the bike and sorting stuff out I've found this forum very useful, and am joining now to ask a few questions I can't quite find the answer to but I reckon most people here will just know.

I also have a terrible little purple bike that I bought from a neighbour to cover the gap between the old bike being stolen and getting the new one; it has basically disintegrated (prognosis of a local Bike Man: "This bike needs a new everything. But for goodness sakes don't bother getting a new anything - just get a new bike.") So I might also need some ideas on what to do with that other than let it continue to disintegrate at the back of the shed!

welcome.
Was going to say that Sylvia was in many ways the best then saw that she had been given the honour of a bike named after her.
You'll find plenty of very helpful advice on here to get/keep anything running.
Sweep
Chainwheel

Post by Chainwheel »

Hi. just introducing myself.

Pleased to meet you all.

I'm 42 in Cornwall

I occasionally ride my bike, a modified holdsworth from 1978, when I get motivated enough to or need essential items from the shop. And sometimes I enjoy it.
Last edited by Chainwheel on 15 Feb 2021, 4:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome

Jonathan
BriFoz

Post by BriFoz »

Hi newbie here. I'm 67 years old and have cycled for most of them, on and off. Still very active, looking to do at least 6,000 miles this year all being well. Had both hips replaced, right one resurfaced over 12 years ago, left full replacement (ceramic) just over 6 years ago. Both still going well, touch wood. I'm from Yorkshire and am looking forward to being involved. :D
HDshiny

Post by HDshiny »

Hi all. i ride a MTB but im getting into road riding alot and was looking into a gravel bike for commuting too and from work. hopefully this forum can help point me in the right direction :)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome, both.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

HDshiny wrote:Hi all. i ride a MTB but im getting into road riding alot and was looking into a gravel bike for commuting too and from work. hopefully this forum can help point me in the right direction :)

Welcome

I put a set of roadish type tyres on my mtb ( adventure tyres I think it's called now schwalby big Ben's ) -- to commute the 15 miles to work ( 30miles round trip ) and I prefer it to any other bike I've ridden to date. -- I use the road bike for days I want to travel much further in less time but for enjoyment it's the mtb with big Ben's on. Great at the moment cos the bike is safer ( last place you want to end up right now is hospital ) than a road bike and can travel over most surfaces.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

BriFoz wrote:Hi newbie here. I'm 67 years old and have cycled for most of them, on and off. Still very active, looking to do at least 6,000 miles this year all being well. Had both hips replaced, right one resurfaced over 12 years ago, left full replacement (ceramic) just over 6 years ago. Both still going well, touch wood. I'm from Yorkshire and am looking forward to being involved. :D

Resurfaced?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Hip resurfacing"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_resurfacing

Brilliant combination of materials science and surgical skill.

Jonathan