Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Private Godfrey

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by Private Godfrey »

Hi Folks just like to say hello I have recently rediscovered cycling even though its only been on disused railway lines at the moment .

I have also discovered I enjoy taking bikes to bits cleaning ,oiling ,adjusting and putting them back together ( and they still work :o ) !
Jackie my wife is not impressed should I seek medical help or is this normal ?. :wink:

My real mane is Doug

My age is 68

I am a heating engineer and plumber.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Welcome
No you shouldn't seek medical advice for your cycling obsession as it's perfectly natural,though possibly for a belief in a lack of wind of your spouse.After all,if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there does it make any sound?
Last edited by reohn2 on 3 Jul 2016, 10:23am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Graham

Post by Graham »

Private Godfrey wrote:I have also discovered I enjoy taking bikes to bits cleaning ,oiling ,adjusting and putting them back together ( and they still work :o ) !
Jackie my wife is not impressed should I seek medical help or is this normal ?. :wink:

Welcome Doug. You have come to the right place.

Many of us here value self-sufficiency and the idea that we can still have, at least, a little bit of control over the bewildering complexity of the modern world.

Would Jackie prefer to spend loads of your hard-earned on paying someone else to maintain your bikes ? Or is it some sort of social status thing ?
( Rhetorical question - please don't answer in public . . .. )
Private Godfrey

Post by Private Godfrey »

Thank you Graham I will bare that in mind at the moment I get "why is my bike in bits " well it has to be maintained and I get a smile .I have to say though if I suggest we have a ride down the Flitch way at the weekend she is always up for it in fact she some times suggest's going for a ride on the bikes ,she wants to ride the Marriots way soon so she could be a lot worse .
benrogers101

Ben here!

Post by benrogers101 »

Hey everyone!

Its Ben here. 34 years old from Palm Bay, Florida. A bike enthusiast. It's kind of a hobby of mine and I have also worked for several years in a cycles/bikes retail store so I know a thing or two about bikes. :) I'm excited to be a part of this great community and I look forward to contributing and making some new friends. :)
jsanderson

Post by jsanderson »

Hi guys, I'm jade. I've been cycling to and from work regularly since January on my electric bike, and this change has helped me to ease into a more active lifestyle. I also enjoy jogging and yoga. As well as cycling on my daily commute i also enjoy leisurely cycling, however i live in London so I'm always on the hunt for more scenic trails. I've developed a real passion for health and well being and think cycling is so fantastic for this, can't wait to be part of the community!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Ben and Jade, welcome to the CTC forum!

Ben, please post some Floridian photos

...and Jade please tell us about your bike

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
hippyswift

hippyswift & bicycle touring adventures

Post by hippyswift »

hello, im hippyswift.
i have cycled over 19,000 miles and i document my journeys for inspiration and education.
i ride a ridgeback world journey touring bike with full paniers and lots of extra pockets too.

i live in the uk and would like too ride with other people but also answer questions about what gear i have.

ride safe and find pece ;)
Narom

Post by Narom »

Howdy.

Went to register to find the username and email address have already been used, thought i'd try and log in with an old password I used to use and it let me in, lord knows when i registered!

Getting more and more into cycling every day. Am a postman and used to cycle on my round before we moved to vans, still cycle to and from work every day. Looking at changing job soon where the commute will go from a easy 4mile round trip to 32 miles so intentionally will be looking at advice on that front.
wrigglefingers

Post by wrigglefingers »

Hello folks,

I'm wrigglefingers, named for my love of concertinas and making things. Short in the leg and far too dumpy at 55, the archetypal 'fat lass at the back'.

I've recently had the go-ahead to start cycling again following a patellar and knee replacement. I've cycled for most of my adult life until a severe knee injury (broken kneecap) forced me off the road, five years ago. I've lost most of my confidence, but I'm back on the turbo trainer with (don't laugh) a twenty year old Dawes Horizon.

I've just found a very small Mercian KoM frame 20" for £80 so that's going to be my getting fit project. I'm actually very excited about this, even though the thought of cycling outdoors again is a bit daunting and I fear the frame may be just fraction too big, despite my monkey arms, consequently, I may be asking all sorts of irritating questions.

I live in hilly mid-Wales, not far from Machynlleth, so I'll be looking for a local club who are sympathetic to elderly, wide, slow but happy cyclists. My cycling experience includes extensive solo touring in France, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Australia and New Zealand. I used to race at women's cat 2 on the flat in East Anglia and tandem race in the Peaks when I was a nipper.
TonyGol

Post by TonyGol »

My real name: Antony/Tony

Favourite colour: Black

Bikes/Cycling: I have 2 Mountain bikes brought for less than £20. I cycle on a stretch of the Route 55 daily, this is for keeping fit.

Drizzle

Post by Drizzle »

Hello Cycling UK Forum!

I've just gotten back into cycling for the first time in over a decade, and I'm absolutely loving it! I only dusted off the bike (an old KHS Nomad MTB from around 2001 with road tyres) to do some commuting as we went down to one car, and it is actually almost twice as fast to get to work on the bike as it was to drive, when parking and walking to from the car park are factored in. Who would have thought it! I now find myself looking forward to my ride to work, (and even more my ride home) and in the last 5 weeks I've done over 350km :)

I've now got my eyes on the goal of completing a C2C ride in the not too distant future!
odav

Post by odav »

Hi.
I'm Dave. I'm 51 and have one grown up kid, and three little ones.
I live in Liverpool and enjoy building bikes up from old scrappers I throw in my works van. My long suffering wife doesn't share my passion ( for bikes ) :wink: !
I ride an old Raleigh M-Trax rigid MTB, and have a Quinns road bike.
I ride purely for the enjoyment and have never considered strava etc. I don't even have a basic bike computer.
Last edited by Graham on 26 Aug 2016, 6:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added "for bikes" - to avoid family strife . . . .
Feek

Post by Feek »

Hello all,

I've been thinking about getting a bike for a couple of years, since I dropped some weight. I walk a lot and have got quite familiar with the local area so figured that a bike would be a good way to go further while I exercise.

So enter our C2W scheme at work. Last year it was with Evans but I wasn't quite ready and now this year it's with *groan* Halfords. Not one to let that deter me too much, I've picked up a Voodoo Marasa along with all the accessories. At the time I ordered it, it was already on discount and they'd applied an extra 20% off. To me, that made it too good a bargain to miss.

I'm nearly fifty years old, I work in IT (quite a sedentary job) but I do try to walk at least five miles/day as well as use the gym three or four times/week.

I like internet forums, I like the community within them and if I find I'm happy here, expect me to be a prolific poster ;)
pd71

Post by pd71 »

Hello all
My name is Paul , I've been a CTC member for about 10 years and first registered on here 3 years ago , thought it was about time I contributed something to this great forum.
I've commuted by bike to and from work for the past 25 years and also ride on my days off, mainly 2/3 hours at a time with the occasional full day on the bike.Quite often I do a loop on my way to work to get a few miles in , it's only a 4.5 mile trip, so I try to stretch it out to 15/20 miles on the way in, I do this with a colleague who is a 1st cat racing cyclist !! So sometimes it's a bit of a struggle.
I do about 8500 miles per year , most of my miles are done riding fixed (42x16- about 70 inch),I've also got a carbon road bike for occasions when I ride with others on geared bikes, I prefer the fixed bike. I am member of Audax uk and I've done a few short audax rides, 200 km being the longest, I've done nearly all of them on my own, in fact I've only done one group audax ride , I intend doing more in the future. I think I've got bike maintenance/ components / clothing/ nutrition Sussed as far as my needs go but there is always something to learn.
I could spend all day talking about bad driving and experiences I've had on the road,and road traffic, bad driving, inconsiderate road users etc are all a bugbear of mine. Any how, great forum , some really knowledgeable People some great advice
Cheers, paul