Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gaz

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your wife's accident, glad she's riding MTB, hope she finds her road legs again soon.

There is no minimum post count before listing items for sale.

Have a read around the various guidelines and have a play with resizing and uploading photos on the Test Board before you begin.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
fridaysniper

Post by fridaysniper »

gaz wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your wife's accident, glad she's riding MTB, hope she finds her road legs again soon.

There is no minimum post count before listing items for sale.

Have a read around the various guidelines and have a play with resizing and uploading photos on the Test Board before you begin.

Thanks, that's very kind of you. I'll read up a bit and then start taking pics so everyone can see what I'm talking about. I'm not after tons of money for the bikes as I know how quickly they lose value. If anyone makes me fair offer for something they like he or she can come and pick up if it's a bike, or I'll send whatever bits with Royal Mail.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
dazzyk

Post by dazzyk »

Hi! Jack here. Been hanging around for some time and finally feel like I need to introduce myself to the bunch of people I've already grown to like. Nowadays I'm cycling less and less due to work, which saddens me a lot, so that was the first reason for joining the community - to live the life through the experience of others in a way (know it sounds creepy, I'm not a maniac)
Cuddly Ocelot

Post by Cuddly Ocelot »

Hi, retired a couple of years ago from education and in danger of becoming a couch potato. Looked at several activities before settling on two; hill-walking and cycling. I have not been on a cycle since my teenage years. Now using spinning machines in the gym to try and get fit before venturing out.

Hoping to purchase a cycle in a few weeks but spoilt for choice. Two take my fancy a Ridgeback Expedition and the Dawes Coast to Coast but the sizing is confusing. There are lots of unpaved lanes around the locality so can play on these. Anyway wait and see what happens.
Our streets are littered with expensive, rotting and polluting tin cans obstructing the free passage of pedestrians, horses, cyclists and motor vehicles
meic

Post by meic »

Now using spinning machines in the gym to try and get fit before venturing out.

No need to get fit before venturing out. Just venture out on short journeys and make them longer as you get fitter. The "image" of cycling is people rushing about at speed but no need to comply with that image.
To me the idea of sitting in a gym when the great outdoors beckons, in July, seems to be missing the real beauty of cycling. Being driven in to the gym by a month of constant rain, I could just about understand.
Yma o Hyd
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

I've been a member of Cycling UK for 20 years and I am a ride leader with Central London CTC. I lead on- and off-road rides. If you are in the London area you may enjoy our rides http://www.centrallondonctc.org.uk/rides.

Linus Rees
Wynne71

Post by Wynne71 »

Hello all.
I'm not 100% sure this the correct place to post my intro, but guess it's kind of the only place....!
I've been a long time keen cyclist, but on an occasional basis. After years of running I've found I have arthritis in both knees, so am keen to take up cycling with a bit more focus.
I've currently got a Giant Seek 2 hybrid, bought this on the C2W scheme about five years ago. Used it to commute across Bham for a year, loved it.
I've been using it as a weekend bike for a few months now, added some Shimano SPDs a while ago, slowly getting used to these!'
However, I realised the limits of this bike on timed and longer runs, especially when comparing with other Strava users....most frustrating. So I've been to a local indie bike shop and ordered a Merida Ride 300, Tiagra set, black frame. Cracking looking machine, and a good compromise between speed and comfort. Can't wait to get on it!!
So, any useful tips, guidance and help would be really appreciated.
Looking forward to joining the forum properly.
Matthew.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Phil2017

Hey, old newbie here

Post by Phil2017 »

Hi folks, just a quick introduction. My names Phil, I'm 47 & just started riding again after 25 years. Out of practice but loving it lol. Up to 30 miles at the moment but the hills are a killer!!

Great forum love it !!

Catch you soon,

Phil :)
martinneedstoknow

Post by martinneedstoknow »

Hi all, My name is Martin i have taken early retirement a couple of years ago and i have some spare time on my hand so have taken up cycling and have joined a local cycling group. I purchased a Boardman Team FS MTB and i love the bike and since xmas i have done approx 1600 miles and i try to go out most days weather and wife permitting. I was not too sure about purchasing a FS MTB but I'm glad that i did due to the poor condition of the country roads in my area.

Great forum and no doubt i will be spending many hours reading the posts and maybe later contributing

Happy and safe cycling

Martin
wanderingjohn

Post by wanderingjohn »

Hi,
I'm John,
I'm 55,
just retired and the wife is allowing me to cycle down through Europe for a few weeks.
I have a Ridgeback world voyage,am not particularly cycle fit,but am keen,and slow,and over weight.

I'll be heading off from Central Scotland to Newcastle,then over to Holland and turn right,that's about all the planning I've done so far.
I will be camping as much as possible.
I'm off to dig about these boards for info.
It would be good to hear from anyone who has done similar,I hope to get to Spain eventually,possibly taking up to 3 months,so,no rush and will probably average 50 miles per day.

ride safe
adetowell

Post by adetowell »

Hello
I'm Ade, age 48 and from Nottingham - am a long time lurker here and thought it was about time I joined in.
I've always been into cycling, but mid life crisis has kicked in and now I can't get enough of it...
Currently have a mtb and a cyclocross and love them both for different reasons - but am also looking at buying a titanium road bike. Have been building up slowly towards dong a 100 mile ride hopefully by the end of the summer. Have done a lot of 50s and a few 70s, just toughening my bum up for the century.
ShaunD

Post by ShaunD »

Hi, I’m Shaun, 51, living in Sussex.
I have been cycling most of my life, for leisure, fitness, occasional commuting, and some touring.
Previously owned road bikes, hybrids, a tandem, and now a mtb.
My OH has an ebike, purchased recently, and she has clocked up 150 miles in only 7 rides, which is the most she’s done in such a short time.
We’re looking at a trip to Paris sometime, and beginning to build some longer rides over the Autumn/winter.
Good to be here, and a new member of Cycling UK too!
robrichards

Post by robrichards »

Hi everyone, I guess this is kind of a reintroduction! I visited the forum about a year or so ago asking for advice about a bike. Eventually I made my choice but didn't get very far with it!

Fast forward a year, a change of work location means I am now able to be a cycle commuter. Been cycling to work for the last week and really enjoying it - even in the rain, although I need some mudguards!

Thank you to everyone for the advice in the past, I hope now I can become a more active member of the forum!

My plan is still to lose weight (about 25kg/4st), get fitter and start cycling some longer distance when I can, in the meantime I'm happy being able to do 7 miles a day 5x a week!

Rob
Newbiker09

Post by Newbiker09 »

Hi, I'm 18 (Would like to know any other teenagers on here? or am I the only one 8) ) and i live in South East England currently go to college and I'm new to this forum, have a hybrid bike and like doing a mixture of cycling on the road and off road and got back into cycling around august. My other hobbies are spending time with friends and I also like animals.
downstream

Post by downstream »

Hello everyone, been reading this forum for a while so thought I should introduce myself. I'm Lee, I'm 40, I'm married with two young children, a little VW campervan, a chaotic house full of art materials, toys, camping gear, maps, books, and a small but growing collection of bikes and associated paraphernalia. Professionally, I've studied ecology and environmental engineering, and work with rivers (hence the username). As a family we try to spend as much time as possible outdoors, learning about the natural world.

In the past I've done a fair bit of cycling and touring, nothing exotic but lots of camping weekends, a C2C, and a JOGLE. When we had children, the mileage went down, but through a trailer, childseats, and now a tag-a-long we've managed to keep cycling. My daughter, who's now five, wants to go on a camping weekend on her tag-a-long next spring; my three-year-old son is happy on day trips bouncing along in his trailer, or occasionally in the childseat on his mum's bike.

Main bike is a Surly LHT, usually coupled to either a Burley D'Lite or an Islabikes Trailerbike; there's also a Soma Doublecross for lighter duties. Both I built up with a mixture of old and new parts on secondhand frames.

I've had a lot of great information from this forum over the last year or so; hope now I can contribute, maybe with any family cycling stuff.

Cheers, Lee