Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Gravity Man

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by Gravity Man »

Hello All.

I've been lurking this forum for the last couple of years and have really enjoyed reading about all of your exploits, experiences, opinions, likes, dislikes, pet peeves, etc, etc.

I live near Wrexham, North East Wales .... in the hilly bit to the south .... for anyone else from around that area I'll narrow it down for you by saying that I'm a '[color=#000000]jacko
'. Can you guess ?

Looking forward to many postings.[/color] :D
If there's always biscuits in the tin, where's the fun in biscuits ? -- Gary from 'Men Behaving Badly' :mrgreen:
jamesfuller

Post by jamesfuller »

I've have jut joined up here after meaning to get round to it for a while so thought I would say hello.

I'm an RSF member, living in Northamptonshire.
Most of my rides are solo. I am lucky enough to commute 100-200 miles a week depending on route choice.
I am generally a mountain bike rider enjoying XC racing but currently building a new touring bike.
I get as much enjoyment from building new bikes, repairing or restoring old ones as I do from riding them.

I'm also interested in history, buildings and architecture and classic cars.
Aside from racing bikes I also compete on four wheels in my old rally car.
Pedro113

Post by Pedro113 »

Hello all.
I am à french student, living in Marseille (i am on warm shower if some one want to visit the city during a trip it Is possible to contact me). I dicover Touring bicycle few years ago and I enjoy to ride my Vintage french randonneuse (but in reynolds turbing!). Few months ago I was looking for à spécial Rohloff frame and that's how I discover thorn and other english brands.
I appreciate à lot this kind of bikes and this community to so , here I am !

Thank you everyone to post all of this informations and review about your bicycle and parts.
Nicolas
Johnp

Post by Johnp »

Hi, new to the forum and new to cycling :mrgreen:

Hoping to get some advice on a few little issues I have - will try post in the correct places..

John, 54, west midlands :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Johnp wrote:Hi, new to the forum and new to cycling :mrgreen:

Hoping to get some advice on a few little issues I have - will try post in the correct places..

John, 54, west midlands :D

Welcome. You've come to the right place for good advice.
Sweep
Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Hi All,

I have really big thighs from cycling. I mean Zeppelin size. They really are a sight to behold, a deal breaker twin set. The last year I've become very unfit an am looking to go touring again to fix that. Always enjoy looking at the pictures of your tent thread.

Male, 42, Here an there.
Film Noire Chap

Post by Film Noire Chap »

Hi

Excuse the name but being enthusiastic about monochrome photography I considered the “handle” appropriate.

I go by the name of Mike and reside high on the moors above Rawtenstall and Burnley. After two decades I am making a return to cycling. A couple of years ago I attempted a return but failed on stamina which turned out be serious involving two major operations. Bye the bye I am three score and ten years young.

Looking for advice on how to get “cycling fit” and was thinking of using our local canal system and turbo cycling in a gym before going the whole hog and purchasing a cycle.

Thank you for permitting me to join the forum.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Film Noire Chap wrote:Hi

Excuse the name but being enthusiastic about monochrome photography I considered the “handle” appropriate.

I go by the name of Mike and reside high on the moors above Rawtenstall and Burnley. After two decades I am making a return to cycling. A couple of years ago I attempted a return but failed on stamina which turned out be serious involving two major operations. Bye the bye I am three score and ten years young.

Looking for advice on how to get “cycling fit” and was thinking of using our local canal system and turbo cycling in a gym before going the whole hog and purchasing a cycle.

Thank you for permitting me to join the forum.

Challenging territory for sure.

With regards to your question I'd post it in one of the mainstream bits of the forum - am sure you will then get lots of helpful advice. And maybe the odd nugget from me though I don't claim to be any sort of expert. Many on here are as you will find. Welcome to the forum.
Sweep
Ted123

Post by Ted123 »

Hi,

Picked up a new MTB last week with an aim to get fit again (either that or a mid life crisis). The last MTB I had was a hybrid 20 years ago when I was working and living in London.

First impressions ? Well yes I'm out of shape, but not as bad as I thought I was !! Secondly modern MTBs are very lightweight and easy to use although my goodness the saddle's a bit hard.

I'm aiming to stick to mainly trails and quite country roads for now although my experiences of main roads have so far been ok.

A bit about myself, I live in Herts and I'm 48. I was a keen cyclist in my teens during which I owned a 12 speed Peugeot racer (don't laugh) which I gradually upgraded with slightly better components. Grew up watching the likes of Greg Lemond, Migwell Indurain and Stephen Roche on Channel 4.

Thank you for a very informative forum with some excellent tips and advice.

Ted
mlesniak

Hello from Marcus

Post by mlesniak »

Hi.
My name is Marcus. I'm 62 and I must confess I haven't done much cycling of late.
I work as a Systems Analyst (but that seems to cover anything where I work) and I live in Northamptonshire.
I used to cycle to work when I was younger and now I only cycle occasionally for pleasure.
I came across this form when I was looking to buy a Dawes Super Galaxy as I am hoping to re-kindle my recreational cycling.
I was a member of the CTC for a short time.
speedster

Post by speedster »

I am a frequent cyclist, riding my bike everyday, 2-3 times.

I am contemplating on buying an electric bicycle for greater options in my riding.

I hope to meet many of you.
Aginoth

New Member, North Somerset

Post by Aginoth »

Hi

Currently fundraising to purchase a recumbent trike. Due to several health problems I had to give up cycling about 8 years ago as Rheumatoid-, Oesteo-, and Psoriatic Arthritis meant on a standard bike the pain was too great in my joints, primarily but not restricted to twisting motion of pedalling causing severe pain in my hips. I now use a powered wheelchair when outdoors and walk with a stick indoors.

Having taken advice from my Rheumatology Team and other disabled people it has been suggested that I should be able to return to the saddle on a recumbent trike. As a result, I have been in touch with a disabled cycling enabler (http://www.freetrike.co.uk) and this week I have test ridden one suitable for me after help and assistance from Tom Pales. It felt marvellous to be back in the saddle after so long and I am even more eager to get back in the saddle, albeit a nice large one now :)

I am a Type 1 Diabetic (Insulin Controlled) and was medically retired from work (as a Marine Engineer) due to Psoriatic Arthritis, Chronic Pain and Psoriasis in 2007. Since then I have developed Rheumatoid Arthritis, Oesteo Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and obstructive Sleep Apnoea. I am married to Keren and have 4 children (19, 16, 14, 9) the eldest is Autistic and the 2nd oldest is currently being assessed for an autism diagnosis and has a diagnosis of Hypermobility Syndrome,

Cheers
Dave /Agi

jessiepinkman959

Post by jessiepinkman959 »

Hi All,

My name is Jessie, I am a 42 year old man and I'm looking for help to take my first steps in cycling. I really like this sport and I hope it's not too late to start practicing it.

Greetings to all
H2bgrumpy

Post by H2bgrumpy »

Hi All, been lurking on the forum for awhile and reading your advice, thank you, thought it was time to come out! Been sometime since in the saddle, 30+ plus years ,now looking to get back to something I used to enjoy. Look forward to your friendly & helpful advice .

Greetings to all, from Wiltshire
mtbsteve1981

HELLO!!!!

Post by mtbsteve1981 »

I all,
Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My Name is Steve and i am a keen MTB cyclist from Norfolk. I commute on a road bike but old injury means i have to chop it in for a more comfy ride whilst keeping my beloved Whyte 529 for weekend fun.

If there are any other guys or gals round the Kings lynn area, it would be cool to maybe one day do a meet up for a ride as i'm pretty fresh to the area as i moved from Essex in April.