No recumbent section on this Forum

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
stevew

No recumbent section on this Forum

Post by stevew »

Why not?
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

Ha, easy! 'cause no-one has added one yet :)

I can feel a whole rush of new boards, recumbents, unicycles, tricycles, fixed wheelers, ordinaries, ...

You may have a good point though. I do enjoy riding my Windcheetah – does anyone else feel the need for a recumbent-specific board?
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

As a regular rider of recumbents, trikes, tandems and folders, as well as pulling a trailer sometimes...

No.
stevew

Post by stevew »

Well it seems sensible to me to have separate sections so that if you need some info on, say trikes, you know where to look. Its especially helpful for someone who may be considering the purchase of a "non mainstream" machine. Like you I have lots of different types of cycle and I enjoy them all for different reasons. Sometime when I'm having a 'bent period" I like to look at all the recumbent info and other times its other things, so separate make it easier for me. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks like that...............if so we don't need separate sections!!
What do you all say?
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

To me all cycles are cycles and breaking them down into a large number of categories will bloat what looks to be a pretty good message board set up.
Where would you stop? A section for unicycles, one for compact frames, another for pink trikes?
then what other sections could be broke down: touring at home, racing abroad, commuting on the moon...

OK, how about a compromise.
Over at Cycling Plus they have a single category where discussion on all non-mainstream bikes takes place. Might that be an option?
stevew

Post by stevew »

Good compromise!
BTW what 'bent do you ride?
I have an old Trice Classic NT (from the current ICE people) which i ride a fair bit and an Optima Dragon which is less used. Plus quite a few "normal" bikes.
davidmam

Post by davidmam »

No recumbent section?

The admins won't take that complaint lying down...

..d
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

Judging by the Folders section on the acf site, there doesn't seem to be enough interest in "minority" sub-boards.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

stevew wrote:Good compromise!
BTW what 'bent do you ride?
I have an old Trice Classic NT (from the current ICE people) which i ride a fair bit and an Optima Dragon which is less used. Plus quite a few "normal" bikes.

Presently it is a customised Trice Explorer - with fairing for added grin factor :D It is often used with a trailer for deliveries, etc as it has a 9" bottom gear.
http://www.velotree.co.uk/deliveryduty.html

I also have a tandem trike and, in the past, raced extensively on a trike.

However, my most used bikes are now the Brommie and a Bike Friday.

Sad to say, the Roberts audax is next in line in the choice stakes.
D.TEK HPVS

Re: No recumbent section on this Forum

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

stevew wrote:Why not?

Perhaps they are the "Hells Angels" of the cycling world
Just a thought Ho Ho Ho !
Uncle stevew has a very good point
Wake up all you recumbent owners and vote now
at the this TEA SHOP !
Do you want your own parking space ?
Go tell the world or just this forum for starters !
ademora

recumbents

Post by ademora »

I am a keen recumbent cyclist, but also frequently ride a Brompton, Tourer, Mountain bike and road bike, The recumbent is by far the most comfortable and fun to ride, it is only a shame that more cyclist do not ride them, having a separate group would I feel segregate us 'bent' riders and would not encourage more people to have a go. Keeping it main stream would keep others reminded that there are other forms of bikes out there, and maybe our numbers would grow
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

Do you have to fit a flag on recumbents
to be seen by other riders ?
ademora

Post by ademora »

I never do, most drivers leave a wider gap and pass slower than when on a normal bike
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

Gordon England wrote:Do you have to fit a flag on recumbents
to be seen by other riders ?

No, but I've often considered fitting one, a large one, to my upright bikes.

On a recumbent a flag would be pretty useless, you get noticed as well as seen. On an upright you get seen and ignored :(

My thought is that drivers spend most of their time watching the road (if you drive you can check this), keeping an eye on their position in the lane, potholes, etc. Stuff higher up, like bikes, road signs, etc. tend to get ignored. That's why they've started painting the speed limit on the road surface: it's much easier to see there. Recumbents are ideally placed to be seen :)
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
Andrew Mills

Post by Andrew Mills »

minority" sub-boards

What?

acording to the "What do you ride" only 42% ride a tourer so all of us are minority's
The majority of road users have cars
For recumbent info try the BHPC website www.bhpc.org.uk
8)