what happened there then.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

what happened there then.

Postby reohn2 » 5 Jan 2007, 9:11pm

well i wonder,and why did it take so long to get the boards up and running again :?

Graham

Postby Graham » 5 Jan 2007, 9:20pm

I wonder . . why did it take so long to get the boards up and running again

So do I :D , , , , , , Actually, I could not possibly comment :wink:

But Christmas Eve/Day was especially fun for me as I stayed up until 1:30 a.m. finally getting the old posts to load into the new database.
Let's just say that the old board software was several bricks short of a load on the data integrity side.

Best Wishes
Last edited by Graham on 5 Jan 2007, 9:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 5 Jan 2007, 9:23pm

The old boards had reached the end of their useful life, and were becoming a problem to maintain.

The time was taken setting up the new boards on a new server, installing several "mods" for additional features (e.g. adding pictures to posts) and for security (to prevent automated message spam, etc.). Then we had to move all the messages from the old board's database to the new one, which wasn't that easy (nice one Graham!). Finally some testing and tweaking, adding the CTC style, and, of course Christmas and New Year holidays :)

We hope you find the new forum is an improvement!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 5 Jan 2007, 9:42pm

I hope so too thanks to everyone who's made it possible,my gripe is not with you stalwarts,but with the ones who pulled the plug when they did, the new boards could have been set up with the old boards running surely, then we could have had continuity and folks wouldn't have needed to be up half of Christmas night to make it work.

Dai

Postby Dai » 5 Jan 2007, 10:56pm

Does this mean we will now be free of those who cause trouble by signing in under multiple names?

Hope so

Graham

Postby Graham » 5 Jan 2007, 11:26pm

If you click on your profile - ( over there on the left ) - you will see that your username is presented in a form that cannot be changed.

This message board software enforces unique usernames. It also has full administrator & moderator facilities, so that we can keep things running nicely.

All in all a BIG step forwards.

Cheers

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 6 Jan 2007, 9:07am

Dai wrote:Does this mean we will now be free of those who cause trouble by signing in under multiple names?

To a certain extent, yes. Each username has to have a unique e-mail address, so it’s more fiddly and time-consuming to register with multiple identities.

ed_o_brain

Postby ed_o_brain » 6 Jan 2007, 11:28am

Well congratulations on the new boards ... they are a big step forward.

And to be honest, the down time between old and new boards was brief (in relative terms) and will soon be forgotten.

One of my local forums has been closed for the same period anyway because the moderator has been on holiday and doesn't trust anyone else to do it!!!
It's not what you ride... it's how you ride it

Lusting my Pinnarello

Postby Lusting my Pinnarello » 6 Jan 2007, 8:20pm

Well. the new board is GReeeaaaat :D
However it was HELL :evil: whilst the old board was down..... then again - I did find other boards (cycling) and gained some extra info - sooooo not all that bad!!! :P

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 7 Jan 2007, 7:46pm

Well done CTC. This is a wonderful MB. Swish and NOT covered in adverts! Thank you.

Mind you, "a lock will only keep a honest man out".

I have three email addresses, can I have three User Names?

Mick F. Cornwall

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 7 Jan 2007, 7:52pm

Mick F wrote:I have three email addresses, can I have three User Names?

Yes, if you want.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 7 Jan 2007, 8:14pm

admin wrote:
Mick F wrote:I have three email addresses, can I have three User Names?

Yes, if you want.

Can I be *** ?

What's his name?

Mick F. Cornwall

Terry T

Postby Terry T » 7 Jan 2007, 8:25pm

You can be anyone you wish, except ***! This board doesn't need him!

Simon L6

Postby Simon L6 » 8 Jan 2007, 7:52am

Terry T wrote:You can be anyone you wish, except ***! This board doesn't need him!

indeed

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 Jan 2007, 8:53pm

But Mick's pointing out that we may well get him if something isn't done to stop multiple aliases! :?