What have you forgotten to take?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bogmyrtle

Re: What have you forgotten to take?

Post by bogmyrtle »

I diligently decant just enough shampoo for my trip into a small bottle which I then manage to leave at the first place I stop. I've done it so often now I should really know better and just take the big bottle.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

I've forgotten my lock more times than I care to mention. Last time I bought a cheapo cable lock to tide me over, locked it through the saddle to carry it home then couldn't open the bloomin' thing. I left it overnight while I contemplated whether to take the saddle apart. Thankfully next day it chose to behave and I got it off again - won't use it again though so that's a few quid wasted.

I decided to clamp my u-lock to the bike rack so hopefully won't forget it again using these:

http://www.bicycleworkshop.co.uk/produc ... ckle_Locks

Not sure what I'll do when I want to use two panniers, but mostly I ride with none or (dare I say) just the one.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
Gearoidmuar

The worst things you can forget to take on a tour..

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Suncream. It will be Sunday and you won't be able to buy any.

Water bottles. It will be Sunday and you won't be able to buy any. It will be 35C as well.

Vaseline or whatever you use to prevent soreness etc. Your nether regions will look like a pizza unless you find some.

Good gloves and clothes for snow. It WILL snow, unless you bring them, in which case it won't.

Overshoes. It DEFINITELY will snow.

Chainbreaker. Your chain will break 30 miles from civilisation.

A pump. AAAARRRRGGGGHHH
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

corshamjim wrote:I've forgotten my lock more times than I care to mention. Last time I bought a cheapo cable lock to tide me over, locked it through the saddle to carry it home then couldn't open the bloomin' thing. I left it overnight while I contemplated whether to take the saddle apart. Thankfully next day it chose to behave and I got it off again - won't use it again though so that's a few quid wasted.

Probably been asked before but how come there are just bike locks left on railings etc?
Has some one chopped the bike frame to remove it or just someone leaving the lock till next time?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
gaz

Post by gaz »

corshamjim wrote:I've forgotten my lock more times than I care to mention. Last time I bought a cheapo cable lock to tide me over, locked it through the saddle to carry it home then couldn't open the bloomin' thing. I left it overnight while I contemplated whether to take the saddle apart. Thankfully next day it chose to behave and I got it off again - won't use it again though so that's a few quid wasted.

I forgot my lock once when commuting. No probs I thought, nipped in the LBS and bought the cheapest one I could find.

There were no probs that day, but I slipped into a habit of letting the cheap lock become my default. A few months later I left work to find no lock and no bike. :(

These days I mostly forget to take my medication.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

cycleruk wrote:Probably been asked before but how come there are just bike locks left on railings etc?
Has some one chopped the bike frame to remove it or just someone leaving the lock till next time?

I would guess a bit of both!

I left a (thankfully) cheap lock attached to the bike rack at work so I could use it if I forgot my main one (came in handy a few times).

I went on holiday a few weeks ago and came back to find my employer had decided to repaint/revamp the rusty old bike rack and an email in my inbox saying to remove any locks attached to it or they would be disposed of (which it was).

The new bike shed is great so I have no complaints. They put a proper roof on it now so I don't have to worry any more about my Brooks saddle getting wet. :D
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

Only yesterday I forgot to make sure my lights where in my bag for riding home at 10pm.

I worked early shift on Friday, put lights in fleece pocket. As the weather is so nice I didn't take fleece = no lights. I got a lift home and will get a lift back to work today.

Previously I've locked my mtb (years ago) outside a pub with no keys had to get a lift home and went back the next day to get it.

Even further back (even more years ago) I've gone windsurfing with everything except the mast.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
spanner

Post by spanner »

PW wrote:I set off to JOG to ride home. Somewhere on the A1 in N. Yorks sat in the lad's car my phone rang. Mrs W took great delight in telling me I'd left my cycling shoes, Goretex jacket & water bottles on the front doorstep. :oops:

where is JOG?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Goodness where to start;
Race shoes
Toothbrushes (when off touring, at least start was in civilsation to purchase new ones)
Pump/puncture repair kit when on a short trip across town, (no don't need that, only doing a 5 mile round trip.....)
Undies prior to a shift at work :oops: (good job I work in a place where we keep disposal ones for clients, now always keep a spare pair in locker).

Must admit I always keep bike lock locked then it has to be unlocked before use so can never chain it up without the key.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
spanner

Post by spanner »

i went to a VCC club run and realised i had left my wallet at home
luckily i had pound coins in my pocket which was enough to pay for my lunch
now i always ensure i have my wallet when going a club run
an easy back up would be to leave £20 in the glove box as backup (provided i realise the wallet is at home before the run starts)
gaz

Post by gaz »

spanner wrote:where is JOG?

JOG = John O'Groats. LE=Lands End. Riding between the two is often referred to as JOGLE or LEJOG depending upon your chosen direction.

HTH :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade