Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cyclingthelakes

Re: Pictures of your bike(s)

Postby cyclingthelakes » 28 Oct 2010, 4:17am

BigG wrote:My "old" bike - my "new" one is undergoing a clean and rebuild - has served me since 1953, and it was second hand then! Actually, the only original parts are the frame (but not the forks), the bars (GB) and the brake levers (Mafac). Most of the rest dates back to the 1980's and 1990's but I have retained 27" wheels spoked 40/32 with 13/14G spokes on the rear drive side. I still have the original wheels (Harden on Weinmann Alesa), brakes (Mafac cantilevers), guards (Bluemels TdeF) and pedals (Lyotard 23). These are only kept as spares.

The bike started life as a 4 speed with a Simplex JUY 51 but has since expanded via several intermediate steps to 15 speed (5 x 3) using a half step and granny arrangement. The Huret Duopar indexes faultlessly with the Suntour freewheel despite the wide range (14-18-23-30-38) using Suntour levers mounted on Kelly Take-offs. The front changer is a Suntour SL reverse action (friction only - much preferred) working with TA Cyclotouriste rings (48-42-26) mounted on the original Deore Dyna Drive cranks. Suntour XC Pro cantilevers (self-energising on the rear) continue to give excellent service in stopping a heavy load - seldom less than 115kg. The rear brakes do, however, require careful adjustment if they are to work as they should.

Normally, a Carradice Campers Longflap bag, an Abus lock and a Topeak Masterblaster pump complete the set-up, but these failed to show up for the photo-shoot!

Note: not a braze-on in sight except for the cantilever bosses!

I hope that this will bring back memories for some members.

p.s. The excrescence on the top tube in the full frontal photo is a piece of 1" pipe insulation which protectss the frame when parked - very effective and never been stolen yet!

CIMG0346a.jpg

I've thought this a very handsome bike since it was posted. The back mudguard and tail light, do people just drill into the guard to put a light on? I could use a nice big tail light like that. I've read all your words, you didn't say the brand, I see it's a Grubb.

The ex---- on the top tube of the front take photo keeps the bike protected and maybe warrants off thieves you say?? The coverings on the brake levers themselves are sharp too and it has those things on the brake handles too, I've heard about those...I don't know the word.
Last edited by cyclingthelakes on 28 Oct 2010, 5:01am, edited 1 time in total.

BigG

Postby BigG » 28 Oct 2010, 2:05pm

The Freddie Grubb frame dates from the early 1950's, but has been resprayed since then. The marque was bought by Holdsworth sometime in the 1960's, I think, and was thereafter one of the cheaper ranges from that company using plain gauge 531 tubing instead of double butted tubing on the main Holdsworth branded models. The pipe insulation on the crossbar doesn't ward off thieves, it only protects against damage when leant against a steel bike rack. The lever rubbers are marked "Dawes" and date from the 1950's. I think that similar ones are still advertised on eBay from time to time.

The mudguard-mounted rear light is from Soubitez. It is about 20 years old now but I think is still available. It is basically dynamo powered (an under bracket dynamo) and has a battery powered standlight which switches off automatically when there is enough power from the dynamo to light the main bulb - very effective. A single hole drilled in the mudguard (SKS) is needed to fix the light. Despite this, I also use a flashing LED light mounted on the carrier to make the bike more noticeable. The front dynamo light (Hella) is also supplemented by a Cateye LED unit normally used in flashing mode for the same reason.

Rough Rider

Postby Rough Rider » 18 Nov 2010, 5:34pm

my cycle.....still upgrading and working on it, due for a saddle change today to a rolls. Has mechanical disk brakes.
xt rear mech (rr) and lx front mech but will be changing this to xt next week. :lol:

just a test to see if i can post images...

TomS

Postby TomS » 25 Nov 2010, 7:45pm

Thought I'd post a picture of my commuting bike, an old Coventry Eagle frame built up with drop bars and a nexus hub.

Tom

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 13 Dec 2010, 8:59am

Nice bike Tom.
I'm in the process of sourcing bits for a similar build. Got a very nice Raleigh Clubman frame from this site, getting the wheels built in the new year.It's going to have Sturmey' drum brake hubs (3 speed rear), moustache or randonneur bars (haven't decided yet), it'll be a sort of lighter weight and more sprightly Guv'nor.
I have "most" of the bits are on the shelf in the shed. And that's where they'll be staying till it warms up!

JonnyQ

Postby JonnyQ » 30 Dec 2010, 4:14pm

I can't seem to get my picture published, therefore I include a link to the pic here: my Kona Jake.

Any tips on how I get the pic to show in the body of my post are welcome :?
Jonny Q
The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people - Marx
My blog: Cycling and Stuff

JonnyQ

Postby JonnyQ » 1 Jan 2011, 11:54pm

Finally got my pic to show.
Last edited by JonnyQ on 1 Jan 2011, 11:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny Q
The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people - Marx

JonnyQ

Postby JonnyQ » 1 Jan 2011, 11:56pm

JonnyQ wrote:
JonnyQ wrote:I can't seem to get my picture published, therefore I include a link to the pic here: my Kona Jake.

Any tips on how I get the pic to show in the body of my post are welcome :?

Thanks to 'rehon2' I managed to get my pic to show:

This is my 2008 Kona Jake
Jonny Q

rich g

Postby rich g » 3 Jan 2011, 7:55pm

My new Steed.
merc.jpg

hondated

Postby hondated » 4 Jan 2011, 4:37pm

Finally with some help from Colin ( thanks ) some photos of my bikes;

RobertsS3.jpg

bianchi.jpg

Claude Butler.jpg

Not the best photos I will admit but at least I have finally managed to load them.

Thanks again Colin.

rjb

Postby rjb » 21 Jan 2011, 10:14pm

1974 Dawes Kingpin. Still a work in progress.

20" 406 wheels fitted with 7 speed cassette hub. Change from the original 500A required the use of home made drop bolts for the brakes. The ahead stem arrangement uses a section of 22.2mm (7/8") tube and a shim cut from 1/8" thick plastic drain pipe. V brake levers were fitted with the internal pivots relocated to reduce the effort needed to squeeze the levers.
Still using the original 1/8" chainset and surprised that it takes a 3/32" chain with no problem

DSCF0129.JPG
click to enlarge
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

Russcoles

Postby Russcoles » 26 Jan 2011, 1:33am

Also a Dawes Kingpin:)
This one is a 1975 Kingpin. The frame and forks have had V brake bosses and a front mech mount brazed on, New BB and chainset, 406 wheels, new stem and handlebars. Basically everything replaced :)
The finishing touch is home made wooden mudguards. These are made of 3 sheets of balsa glued over a mold then cherry veneer added. These are soon to be replaced by a new set with Walnut, cherry and maple stripes and brass fittings (rear one is ready to fit, front needs one more coat of Varnish).
I love this bike. I am stuck with using folders by the logistics of getting into my flat so when I decided I wanted a touring bike I decided to make one out of a Kingpin. I have to say, the performance is amazing and it is a lot of fun but putting it together was an amazing experience. I would recommend customising an old bike.

jayjay

Postby jayjay » 28 Jan 2011, 11:22pm

I hope I can get this right - only my second post and I know the actual bike isn't very posh... Let me know if I have erred.
It's one of those given away free with a Kia vehicle some years ago and has given good service on my work ride every day. Sprung Bell saddle has helped my back stay quiet, and I've recently fitted some flatter bars. On the crossbar is a section of drainpipe with 5 d-cells for the front lights, 11Ah runs a long time.

I think the 30 limit was hardly necessary that day. A beautiful, if slow, ride to work, just in time to be told to go home again :D

Kia parked in the snow. by thermalsoareruk, on Flickr
Built f' comfort.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 29 Jan 2011, 10:56am

rich g wrote:My new Steed.
The attachment merc.jpg is no longer available

Grief! :shock:

I thought someone had nicked my Mercian!
Me Cairn.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

Sailing7

Postby Sailing7 » 7 Feb 2011, 4:29pm

[img]
Gof.jpg
[/img]
The steel frame was made by Steve Goff in Lancashire mostly from Columbus 'Air' (downtube is 'Mega') with Hope hubs and BB but Shimano group and Mavic rims - my daily commuter on all but the iciest or snowy days when an old steel Ridgeback from the late 80's stands in :)
Image Attachments
Gof.jpg
Italian steel