Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vantage

Re: Pictures of your bike(s)

Post by Vantage »

I have since heard from a yacf member claiming to be a long term customer of Nidderdale cycles that the frame and fork are not in fact a complete set.
As I understand it, the frame was sold as a single item for some time and the forks were added later (possibly explaining why they lack rack eyelets).
Still a nice handling bike though and my "Touring" decals arrived today so they'll be stuck on later :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

breakwellmz wrote:
reohn2 wrote:that looks like a very understated do all bike,I agree about the mudguards though,here's the answer:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=sks+longboards :D
Nice bike! :)
Regarding the quick steering, Vantage's bike viewed square on,it looks to have steep head angle and not a lot of fork offset so IMO the steering will be quick.

I keep looking at mine and think it has a steep head angle(i should measure it) but remember asking the seller, who emailed me frame angles (since lost)I do remember they were nothing unusual(73/73 maybe?)
It is very close as quick steering as my 80s Raleigh 531 "racer" (28/28 tyres)despite a longer wheelbase and 32/38 tyres.Perhaps it`s the stiffer frame having an effect.
BTW, the same bars, stem, pedals and saddle have moved from one to the other.
This is sounding a negative, but i`m actually very pleased with it.

A 73 degree head angle is fairly steep and if the fork offset isn't much it'll be quite lively.
The stiffer frame shouldn't affect the steering.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Vantage wrote:I have since heard from a yacf member claiming to be a long term customer of Nidderdale cycles that the frame and fork are not in fact a complete set.
As I understand it, the frame was sold as a single item for some time and the forks were added later (possibly explaining why they lack rack eyelets).
Still a nice handling bike though and my "Touring" decals arrived today so they'll be stuck on later :mrgreen:

Yes, it was available for a long time as a frame only for £60, then it sold with standard forks for V brakes for £110, IIRC. I nearly bought this frameset a few years ago, but was put off a bit by the weight. I managed to find a NOS Dawes Horizon frame instead.
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

reohn2 wrote:
breakwellmz wrote:
reohn2 wrote:that looks like a very understated do all bike,I agree about the mudguards though,here's the answer:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=sks+longboards :D
Nice bike! :)
Regarding the quick steering, Vantage's bike viewed square on,it looks to have steep head angle and not a lot of fork offset so IMO the steering will be quick.

I keep looking at mine and think it has a steep head angle(i should measure it) but remember asking the seller, who emailed me frame angles (since lost)I do remember they were nothing unusual(73/73 maybe?)
It is very close as quick steering as my 80s Raleigh 531 "racer" (28/28 tyres)despite a longer wheelbase and 32/38 tyres.Perhaps it`s the stiffer frame having an effect.
BTW, the same bars, stem, pedals and saddle have moved from one to the other.
This is sounding a negative, but i`m actually very pleased with it.

A 73 degree head angle is fairly steep and if the fork offset isn't much it'll be quite lively.
The stiffer frame shouldn't affect the steering.

I measured my head angle at 73 degrees and fork offset at 45mm, with my 32mm tyre that gives a trail figure of 59mm.
Less fork offset would give me more trail, perhaps the original fork with this frame had less than mine.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I've no idea about how to go about measuring this frames angles. I thought maybe photoshop and a ruler or tape measure but on my last attempts, every time I moved the camera to get it dead-on the angles changed.
I will say the fork supplied has probably less trail than that of the Vantage which was according to Dawes, 55mm. The reason I think this is because I keep hitting my foot on the friggin mudguard and it's really getting on my 7i7s.

However, I have now got the bike to it's final build/finish. :)

Image2016-03-11_03-37-11 by William McFadden, on Flickr
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
whoops

Post by whoops »

1977 Rory O'Brien from Romford shop, in Essex, powder coated copper on chrome base. Fast back, Prugnet lugs.
Attachments
IMG_1443.JPG
IMG_1442.JPG
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Looks interesting,would like to see some detail shots :)
W H Auden
whoops

Post by whoops »

reohn2 wrote:Looks interesting,would like to see some detail shots :)

more pics
Attachments
IMG_1445.JPG
IMG_1444.JPG
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Nice! :)
W H Auden
whoops

Post by whoops »

This is a 20.5in. c/c, 1953 "Rivetts of Leytonstone" an east London builder. They didn't build machines for many years. But did sponsor several well known riders. It is actually 21in from centre to the top of the seat tube which protrudes above the crossbar which is the size it shows on the receipt. It was built for a young lady which accounts for the low stand-over height.
Attachments
IMG_1671.JPG
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Did you ever read this article about the life of a Rivetts bike in Classiclighweights ?

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/ri ... t-rem.html
A good read.
Nu-Fogey
cliffyboy1962

Post by cliffyboy1962 »

My over exuberant but delightful to ride, Italian 105 equipped OLMO Deep.

File 24-03-2016, 15 16 04.jpeg
Batears

Post by Batears »

Here's mine
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458836732.773482.jpg
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

One of my bikes outside the smelly GENTS

Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
hercule

Post by hercule »

deliquium wrote:One of my bikes outside the smelly GENTS

Surely you should have photographed the Claud outside the Ladies? :D

I have a Carlton Courette frame of a similar vintage that I'm thinking of building up the same way. I keep having to point out that it's not a ladies' bike, it's a Mixte!
Last edited by hercule on 29 Mar 2016, 7:49pm, edited 1 time in total.