Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
hoppy58

Re: Pictures of your bike(s)

Post by hoppy58 »

Whats cadence like in bottom gear assuming you have not one legged it into hedge :mrgreen:

Ha ha..it's fine...I haven't worked out the gear ratios (its a 30t driving 11-42 cassette on 29 x 2.4s), but lowest gear is low enough for me to steadily grind up 'very' steep hills. Top gear is the compromise as you run out of gears going down hill on road, however for off-road it's fine. I'm really happy with the single ring set up on rocky, rough terrain - it's much simpler and with the clutch rear mech and narrow-wide ring, the chain sticks like glue and doesn't bounce around.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Here one goes again :roll: - yet another (totally superfluous to needs) steely bicycle project that's not going to please the period correctness police/restorers :wink:

Wobbly G-alaxy by Paul Weston

Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
fossala

Post by fossala »

deliquium wrote:Here one goes again :roll: - yet another (totally superfluous to needs) steely bicycle project that's not going to please the period correctness police/restorers :wink:

Is that the original paint? If so it's in great condition.
PH

Post by PH »

deliquium wrote:Here one goes again :roll: - yet another (totally superfluous to needs) steely bicycle project that's not going to please the period correctness police/restorers :wink:

What a tease, where's the photos of the rest of it?
Those bits looks great..
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

fossala wrote:

Is that the original paint? If so it's in great condition.

Nope. The original paint for the SG was black in 1980. I bought it recently via the forum from a member who owned it since new. He had it resprayed BRG by Mercian 10 years ago and it had been unused in his loft since. A few minor storage marks and tiny dent - as described and happily accepted by me. I've replaced the incorrect Reynolds 531 decals with the right ones and badly applied the custom made (H Lloyd) Dawes + Super Galaxy ones myself :roll:

Reason I had to have it = my size + 72º seat tube + I always wanted a BRG bike

Just built new wheels (incorrectly 700C) with H Plus Son TB14 rims and SunXCD large flange hubs. Will use the Tektro R559 59-73mm deep drop calipers as in the photo.

Looking forward to completing it and taking it for its first spin in over a decade :)

(fossala - was very tempted by your eBay 17" Moulton/SP wheel - another project on the go is a modified '64 Moulton Speed)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

RRFinalSmall.jpg
RRFinalSmall.jpg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

As I enter my last c.18 mths or so of cycling, I have finally settled on a bike (or at least a type and style of bike) that I should have had 10-12 years ago rather than the 100 or thereabouts that have passed through the garage in that time.

A 1988 Raleigh Royal, pretty much original except for flat bars and modern brakes and a 24T inner on the Biopace triple. A non-fussy 3 x 6 set up with D/t shifters. Runs index on original wheels, but the winter set (Open 4 CD on a L/F rear (Suzue?) and some Campag front, set me back less than 15 quid) doesn't quite match the spacing so switch to friction.

Hugely comfortable and easy to maintain.

I've never subscribed to the "wisdom comes with age" school (just see Brexit!), but maybe this is the exception.

This and the Brompton I've bought so that I can venture a little further afield and still be sure of getting home quickly will be my last purchases (failing the Lotto win of course!).
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I toured Europe recently on the same model bike. Lovely machine. Shame airport handlers trashed the frame. I enjoyed your post but you spoiled it for me by the veiled insult at some who may have had a different opinion on the EU. Be nice to keep politics for other forum areas and leave out the personal stuff. Enjoy your bike.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

...A lovely bicycle there. Especially appreciate the sensible 6 speeds at the back & friction shifters. If only they made them as well as this at the factory. Hope you have many smiles per mile on it...
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Niallmo

Post by Niallmo »

Picked up this Carrera Crixus CX bike the other day. Put my spare set of Shimano RS21 wheels on it with some Schwalbe CX Comp 30c tyres. The original wheels will get Rapid Robs in 35c. I’ve also put SKS ‘guards on it. Dying to get it off road, seems pretty good on a quick ride around the block.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/0PtN73Q.jpg[\img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/h6jxQlm.jpg[\img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Yd7hadt.jpg[\img]
freiston

Post by freiston »

Niallmo wrote:Picked up this Carrera Crixus CX bike the other day. Put my spare set of Shimano RS21 wheels on it with some Schwalbe CX Comp 30c tyres. The original wheels will get Rapid Robs in 35c. I’ve also put SKS ‘guards on it. Dying to get it off road, seems pretty good on a quick ride around the block.

FTFY :)

Nice bike
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Neat looking bit of kit. Nice!
Niallmo

Post by Niallmo »

Thank you Freiston!

I’ve cleaned the original wheels up and would have put them back on for a couple of Pics but the Kenda Kahn tyres are 38c and won’t fit under the ‘guards. Rapid Robs should arrive on Monday so maybe more pics then.
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

These are my two ride companions.

The pampered road bike

My winter trainer, cyclocross
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
Bikes`n`guns

Post by Bikes`n`guns »

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bikes`n`guns wrote:. . . . photo . .

those handle bars look biiiig