Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mrbarry

Re: Pictures of your bike(s)

Post by mrbarry »

Agreed, it shouldn't work but it looks extreemly good and retro to me :)
Doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride!
HJRW

Post by HJRW »

Here's my latest acquisition, a 1980 Carlton Courette, £50 from a classified ad, condition unused, as new, straight out of the box. 531 butted frame, 10 gears from 33" to 100". I changed the saddle, pedals, removed the Dia Compe auxiliary brake levers, butchered the drop bars to suit my dicky back - still gives me plenty hand holds with reasonable aerodynamics - and easy brake lever access. Makes a really nice going road bike, and while the frame looks a tad feminine, I like the mixte design - and why should women have all the fun ?
Attachments
CIMG0448.jpg
CIMG0448.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
KEEP CALM AND PEDAL ON -1999 Cresswell Fold-it, 1997 Pashley Tuberider, 1997 Raleigh Special Products Pro-Line M-Trax 300 MTB, 1982 Raleigh Royale, 1951 Robin Hood Sports, 1936 BSA Clubman, 1912 Swift Loop Frame, 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8
HJRW

Post by HJRW »

.. one more picture -
Attachments
CIMG0440.jpg
CIMG0440.jpg (49.11 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
KEEP CALM AND PEDAL ON -1999 Cresswell Fold-it, 1997 Pashley Tuberider, 1997 Raleigh Special Products Pro-Line M-Trax 300 MTB, 1982 Raleigh Royale, 1951 Robin Hood Sports, 1936 BSA Clubman, 1912 Swift Loop Frame, 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Si wrote:That combination of colours just shouldn't work together, but, to my eye at least, they do!

chain's a bit slack though.

I wanted to use green bar tape, but the LBS didn't have any
boblo

Post by boblo »

My 1984 Orbit Gold Medal:

Been refurbed and cherished since.
Last edited by boblo on 20 Jan 2010, 6:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Very nice. I recently met the man who owned Orbit and designed the bikes. He lives in Lancaster and we were on a course at a local Agricultural college together. For six months I had the use of a friends Silver Medal and it was a joyous bike to ride.

What sort of chainset is that?
boblo

Post by boblo »

Thankyou. The early 80's Orbit's were nice though quite low specced. Mine's like Triggers broom, only the chainset, front der and bars are original.

The chainset is a Stronglite 99 with a Highpath 'converter' middle ring that allows the use of a 24 tooth granny. IIRC, Stronglite are 86mm BCD and can't get as small as 24 without such shinanigans...
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

This is my £82 bike off ebay , added crud race blades , second hand spds and a second hand rack.

Sora shifters, 14 speed, cheap .
I know an apollo :? but it was all i can afford

Click thumbnail for a bigger pic

John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

No need to apologise for having an Apollo!! I've got the previous model to that one in proper TDF yellow, a very cheery colour!
I bought it as a winter bike,and for the money,it can't be faulted.I changed the chainset last year (managed to get a secondhand one in my favourite crank length,165mil) better tyres and bar tape, these simple changes seemed to transform the ride.
I think these type of cheap Halfords road bikes are underated. Thought about upgrading to a "better one", but as it rides so well, I couldn't be bothered! :wink:
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

I have stuck some scwable lugano tyres on it and had to stick some fizik gel pads as i get serious amounts of numb hand due to the aluminum forks i think.

I think i really need some one to come and have a look at my set up but the LBS do not do fitting and i haven't the cash to pay them anyway.Bloke at work says he reckons i needed a smaller size as i am mm 5 foot 7 ish with a 31 inch leg, this is a 54 cm frame.

If anyone has an answer to this PM me plz? as my email seems to be playing up atm i am no receiving forum notifications on any forum even though i have them set for it,checked spam etc and i am just not getting them .

When i look at other bikes in the bike shed at work at least i hope some one will pinch the boardman hybrid`s i see about with standard pedals and flat bars rather than mine .

It certainly is a step back from the raliegh dynatech i had 20 years ago ... i sold it like a numpty cos i needed the money at the time and i couldn't use it due to working serious ass shifts that left me dead
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Really enjoying seeing other peoples bikes on this thread, some real beauties in there.

Alas, my stable contains no beauties at all, but I'm hopeful of building a tourer this year. For now, here's my junk:

'50s James Comet (currently undergoing restoration - a LOT of restoration!)

'76 Raleigh Wayfarer - I still get a thrill riding this bike

'09 Chinese folder, made from rubbish dump parts. I've sold this three times on ebay, people pay and never collect (can't blame them!) so it's making more profit per pound than microsoft :lol: I'd convert it to hub gears and keep it, but the rear drops are nearly 145mm wide :shock:

'86 Raleigh Maverick. Put together to suit my rides around Thetford Forest and the terrain I ride on. It's junk, but performs well for the intended purpose.

'90s Peugeot Racoon, stripped back and rebuilt as my local hack/daily ride to work and back. Heavy, but very relaxed and comfortable. It'll be the bike for tugging the dog trailer when it's finished.
fossil

Post by fossil »

'76 Raleigh Wayfarer
nice light's
i had one of those front light's :D :D
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

CK, my Apollo is a medium frame (which is meant to be 58cm but I've measured it at 56') and I'm the same height as you (but with even shorter legs!). But I prefer riding a slightly larger frame anyway. The size down' that the shop tride to sell me just felt cramped.To me, yours looks like the small frame size.

The thing with modern compact frames is that one size "can" be made to fit different sized people.

I also found that keeping the front tyre pressure at 85-90psi rather than the stated 100 makes it a more comfortable ride.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

A fun collection Graham. You've inspired me to spend the rest of the day in the cellar stripping the old bikes I've been given to make a mountain bike.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Colin63 wrote:A fun collection Graham. You've inspired me to spend the rest of the day in the cellar stripping the old bikes I've been given to make a mountain bike.

Yes, get down there and get stripping! Hold on, that sounded plain wrong :lol: I'm very jealous, a cellar workshop is on my top-ten list of things I really should have. Anyway, what are you waiting for, there's things maturing in the cellar :D