Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
freiston

Re: Pictures of your bike(s)

Post by freiston »

Vantage wrote:I've no idea about how to go about measuring this frames angles. I thought maybe photoshop and a ruler or tape measure but on my last attempts, every time I moved the camera to get it dead-on the angles changed.
I will say the fork supplied has probably less trail than that of the Vantage which was according to Dawes, 55mm. The reason I think this is because I keep hitting my foot on the friggin mudguard and it's really getting on my 7i7s.

However, I have now got the bike to it's final build/finish. :)

A photo of a very nice bike by William McFadden, on Flickr

I have tried to photograph my bike and then use Gimp (an open-source alternative to photoshop) to compare the 'fit' to an old bike from the early eighties but I haven't been able to get a 'straight enough' photo of my current bike - I suspect that I'll have to take it out of the kitchen and stand further back with a longer lens ;)

A very nice looking bike you have :)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Thanks Freiston :D

I tried a similar method using camera and photoshops built in angle measurer but I found that every little change in camera position messed up the angle measurements. Getting the bike to stand dead upright added to the complications.
I gave up. :?

I'm recently discovering that every little ripple in the ground seems to 'grab' the front wheel like it's following a tramline and throws the bike to either side. Very unnerving at times.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Those were exactly the nasty handling characteristics i was having, making me feel i didn`t have enough trail.
It was resolved by taking a mallet to the headset frame cups and fork race which transformed the handling-give it a go.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

How does that work?
It's the first headset I've ever fitted but it looks seated perfectly.
I was gonna fit the Vantages fork after repainting it but despite recommendations of Hammerstein Smooth, I've made a right pigs rear end of it. Looks like I'll have to sand down the fork and use shake can spray paint instead.
Im starting to hate this damn bike with the problems I'm having with it.
The Vantage just worked unlike this piggin Raleigh.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I had a bike that couldn't be ridden no-handed - as soon as you took your hands off the bars, the front wheel started to wobble side to side. The (threaded) headset bearings constantly worked loose too - I usually had to tighten them up mid-ride. I always suspected either bent steerer or badly seated cups or races/badly faced headtube (but I never did get to the bottom of it - was going to use it as a 'project' but decided my money was better spent on a new bike). I'm not sure of the local bike shops - can only think of Halfords, and I wouldn't trust them to face a headtube.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

It`s just properly seating the various headset components, probably by just few `thou`here and there.
PH

Post by PH »

Vantage wrote:Looks like I'll have to sand down the fork and use shake can spray paint instead.

Unless you’re really determined to do it yourself, I think you’d be better off taking it to a powder coaters who use black a lot (Which is probably all of them) and get them to do it. Seeing as the going rate for a frame & forks in the colour of your choice is £30 - £50, I can’t see them charging much more than the spray cans are going to cost you. You’ll get better finish and a lot less work!
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

bike.jpg

Playing with the 'phone camera while riding .........
No pasaran
freiston

Post by freiston »

ncutler wrote:
bike.jpg

Very arty 8)

Looks like the right number of spokes too but the handlebars and brake levers are intriguing me - can't quite work them out.

P.S. Any relation to Ivor?
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

ncutler wrote:
bike.jpg

Kewl 8) With moody moustache bars :)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

20160420-20160420-DSCF3641.jpg

Close ! but its a poor relation of Moustache, a Mungo bar from On One. Available at quite a sensible price at the moment.

( and no, I'm not related to Ivor AFAIK )
No pasaran
Robzere31

Post by Robzere31 »

Felt F5 carbon frame
Ultegra 6700 groupset
11/28 cassette
39/53 chainring
Prolite A42 Bracciano wheels with Continental 4 Seasons tyres 25mm
Graham

Post by Graham »

This is what happened to Deliquium's Carry Freedom trailer once I got hold of it.

Chainsaw, boots, trousers, hat and some other stuff - ready for a day in the woods.

Image000_0002 by Fred, on Flickr
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Graham wrote:This is what happened to Deliquium's Carry Freedom trailer once I got hold of it.

Chainsaw, boots, trousers, hat and some other stuff - ready for a day in the woods.

You know how you regret selling bike bits - I could have done with that trailer yesterday.

Friend 18 miles away the other side of Snowdon, had an empty cardboard bike box going spare.

I was wanting to pack up a bike to send - AND NO BOX - and no means of getting it :roll:

GO Graham! GO! :D
Last edited by Graham on 1 May 2016, 11:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: dup. photo removed for space
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Graham

Post by Graham »

Oh that's a shame.
Did you see the recent forum advert selling a small Y-frame ??

I was just thinking that the my plastic box would fit quite nicely on the smaller platform ( then you could have yours back :wink: )