Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Pictures of your bike(s)

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Device of torture 8)
Attachments
KOGA MIYATA GENTSRACER - AERO 1982-3
KOGA MIYATA GENTSRACER - AERO 1982-3
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
freiston

Post by freiston »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Device of torture 8)

Where are the handlebars?

Ah, I see them ;)

Looks nice even if it does punish you :)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Frame and pump are original, the rest is NOS / new, paint is original, bit muddy from this morning, just under 20 mph over a little less than 50 miles in Devon, 3.5 kg rucksack, next ride the saddle will be back a bit and up a bit, gearing is coming down on top end too.
6 speed cassette is crucifying :( I bought it new in early 83, £345.
Attachments
SDC14411_b.jpg
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

1996 Marin Hawk Hill bought locally on "pre-loved" for £40.00..not a high end model, but a reasonable Tange cromoly frame and mainly alivio/acera bits....here it is after I stripped it down and rebuilt with new cassette, chain, rear wheel and seat and good 2nd hand Alivio chainset...it rides really nicely and will be used for work duties once a set of Big apples arrive in the post!

[ImageIMG_5773 by hop58, on Flickr*]
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NICE! :)
I have a soft spot those older Marins which I can't quite put my finger on but I think it's their versatility....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Debs

Post by Debs »

Very Nice Marin, that's 40 quid very well spent.

Is the Hawk Hill frame double butted?

It looks similar to my 1996 Gary Fisher Aquila, (currently hung-up in the garage covered in cobwebs) :)

hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

Is the Hawk Hill frame double butted?

The badge on the seat tube says "Tange custom tube set triple butted cr mo", however I think its only the seat tube that's triple butted, the rest being plain gauge. However it seems pretty light and 'springy'. That Fisher's lovely!
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

It's been a while since I last posted here. It's actually been ten years since I joined the forums and excitedly posted pictures of my new Mercian. To celebrate its 10th birthday I've splashed out on some new kit: Nitto Randoneur bars, a Velo Orange Gran Cru chainset and a couple of VO bottle cages which I much prefer to more modern cages. Here it is this afternoon by the shore of Morecambe Bay moments before I decided that it really is too hot to be riding and turned homewards to find the ice cream shop.
Attachments
Bike.jpg
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

In addition to the lovely Mercian, I picked up this bargain last week: A 2010 Specialized Hardrock. It needed virtually no work – A new rear tyre and brake blocks plus the platform pedals were broken. Other than that it's in near-perfect condition, and it cost me just £25.00 from a local charity shop. I was only looking for a pub bike.
Attachments
IMG_4262.JPG
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

hoppy58 wrote:1996 Marin Hawk Hill bought locally on "pre-loved" for £40.00..not a high end model, but a reasonable Tange cromoly frame and mainly alivio/acera bits....here it is after I stripped it down and rebuilt with new cassette, chain, rear wheel and seat and good 2nd hand Alivio chainset...it rides really nicely and will be used for work duties once a set of Big apples arrive in the post!

[ImageIMG_5773 by hop58, on Flickr*]

That's gorgeous!
Just how mountain bikes used to be before all this 650b and 29er crap came along.

Bring back the 26" mountain bike I say!
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Colin63 wrote:It's been a while since I last posted here. It's actually been ten years since I joined the forums and excitedly posted pictures of my new Mercian. To celebrate its 10th birthday I've splashed out on some new kit: Nitto Randoneur bars, a Velo Orange Gran Cru chainset and a couple of VO bottle cages which I much prefer to more modern cages. Here it is this afternoon by the shore of Morecambe Bay moments before I decided that it really is too hot to be riding and turned homewards to find the ice cream shop.

I very much like :D
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

This is my 1992 Raleigh Royal. New paint job, which might not please the purists as it was originally black, plus gears upgraded and lowered from 3x7 to 3x9.

Image20180418_135251 by Angela Moffat, on Flickr

Good for the next 26 years :D
PH

Post by PH »

That's lovely, I can't think that anyone would object to it not being original, it certainly looks like it's ready to fulfil it's original purpose and being good for the next 26 years should make all Raleigh fans happy.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
"Debs" whats the model of your cranks?
MC-12 etc, stamped on inside of crank arm.
Attachments
Raleigh Randonneur 8S 708 1996 £832.00
Raleigh Randonneur 8S 708 1996 £832.00
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

That's gorgeous!
Just how mountain bikes used to be before all this 650b and 29er crap came along.

Bring back the 26" mountain bike I say!

Ha ha thanks..it is lovely....however I hate to say it, but I prefer the ride of my rigid Genesis Longitude 29er especially off-road as (in my opinion) the big wheels and rubber smooth out the bumps much better and I feel it also climbs much better and is faster overall. The marin is 'nimbler' though and makes a great 26" tourer/utility bike, the latter of which is its intended use. Here it is now, updated as a shopping/work bike!

[ImageIMG_5785 by hop58, on Flickr*]

I like to think that the Marin does everything a 26" surly LHT does, for a fraction of the price!